Sponsored by:

Tire patching

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Tire patching

So yesterday I discovered that I have a leak in my driver’s side rear tire. Absolutely no one can service this tire. I live in a major metropolitan area outside of Philadelphia. I called at least six major companies including good year, tires plus, firestone, a few independents, etc. No one has the machine that can remove this tire from the wheel so that they can patch it. I can wait until Monday and go to the Porsche dealership but of course that place is the nut house after the weekend. I probably won’t see the car until Wednesday.

So this goes to beg the question. How do you go on any type of trip with our cars? I have been a 911 owner since the early 2000‘s. I realize that most of the time you will never get a flat tire. But how do you run the risk of going on any type of long trip knowing that if you do get a flat tire or have an issue you could literally be stranded there for days waiting for even a simple patch. That means you must go with a plug.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:30 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,875 Likes on 1,358 Posts

The dealer will not patch your tire, they only sell new ones. As far as Porsche is concerned, they supply you with the slime kit in trunk to hopefully get you down the road and any repair is temporary until you get to a place where you can get a new tire mounted.

You can buy a spare and carry it, they're awkward, but they will fit in the car.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I had a small screw inside the tread of my tire, Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square removed and patched as a courtesy during my last oil change. I also bring my own oil, filter, seal and plug and never had an issue.
I also bought a scissor jack and and tire plug kit that I keep in the frunk just in case I have an issue.
I am still considering buying a small spare tire I can store for a real emergency if I do long trips.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Go to TireRack.com and search your zip code for nearby installers. Any one if them should be able to remove your tire.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Neil - Do you have special tires/wheels that keeps the tire shops from providing this service to you? I picked up a nail two weeks ago while on a trip out of town and had it patched at COSTCO for $11.00.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:09 AM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Absolutely no one can service this tire.
This makes no sense unless you have centerlocks?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I had a small screw inside the tread of my tire, Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square removed and patched as a courtesy during my last oil change. I also bring my own oil, filter, seal and plug and never had an issue.
I also bought a scissor jack and and tire plug kit that I keep in the frunk just in case I have an issue.
I am still considering buying a small spare tire I can store for a real emergency if I do long trips.

Thanks. I JUST got my car back from them last week as it was getting PPF done. The thing is I am not sure my car will make it all the way there. It’s about 50 miles from my house. I would be very concerned that it would leak out before I got all the way there. I first got the warning yesterday afternoon. I had been driving in the morning without issue. About five hours later when I got into my car I got a warning saying that there was less than 20 pounds in my left rear tire. I put the car back in the garage. By the time I got home around 8 o’clock last night the car had literally no air left in the tire. It certainly is good to know though that they will do oil changes if you bring them the oil and filter? And that they will patch a tire.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by shammerman
Neil - Do you have special tires/wheels that keeps the tire shops from providing this service to you? I picked up a nail two weeks ago while on a trip out of town and had it patched at COSTCO for $11.00.

I am a member of Costco and I thought of calling them, but I did not buy my tires there and figured they would not do it. However I just got off the phone and they said that they would for $11 as you said. Thank you so much for the advice. I guess the next question is do I have to be concerned because I have carbon ceramic brakes I am a member of Costco and I thought of calling them, but I did not buy my tires there and figured they would not do it. However I just got off the phone and they said that they would for $11 as you said. Thank you so much for the advice. I guess the next question is do I have to be concerned because I have carbon ceramic brakes. ?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:18 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Not sure where you are or what tires you have, but to get where you are going you can patch it yourself with a tire plug kit from Walmart or any auto parts store. It’s really easy to do.

Any Indy place that does performance cars can do a 20in wheel and patch the tire (whether you should or not is another question). The tire rack suggestion is a good one to find places with the ability to do a 20in tire patch.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by WCE
This makes no sense unless you have centerlocks?

I do not have centerlocks thankfully. But again I called many places around where I live and none of them will do it. I know it sounds crazy.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by JW911
Go to TireRack.com and search your zip code for nearby installers. Any one if them should be able to remove your tire.
that’s a good thought. So I just went on Tire Rack website and looked at their listed installers. And I would say I’ve called everyone on their list that’s within 10 miles of my home and again none of them would do it. Not that I would trust my car to pep boys but I figured I would call and ask. Again they said that they would not do it.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:33 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

I am a member of Costco and I thought of calling them, but I did not buy my tires there and figured they would not do it. However I just got off the phone and they said that they would for $11 as you said. Thank you so much for the advice. I guess the next question is do I have to be concerned because I have carbon ceramic brakes I am a member of Costco and I thought of calling them, but I did not buy my tires there and figured they would not do it. However I just got off the phone and they said that they would for $11 as you said. Thank you so much for the advice. I guess the next question is do I have to be concerned because I have carbon ceramic brakes. ?
I have Carbon Ceramic breaks as well as you can see. I do have guides that I purchased long time ago in my glove box for all tire shops to use as I was advised by the dealer to get those when I got my car. Just for extra piece of mind. I hand them over with the lug nut if a wheel removal/install is required.

Wheel Guides Wheel Guides

Last edited by shammerman; 07-07-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-07-2018, 01:47 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Thanks so much. I don’t have them now. I will ask them to be very careful and order them now
Old 07-07-2018, 03:57 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Thanks so much. I don’t have them now. I will ask them to be very careful and order them now

Look in your tool kit as you should have at least 1guide there.

Peter
Old 07-07-2018, 09:52 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Look in your tool kit as you should have at least 1guide there.

Peter
I don’t seem to have one in my tool kit.

Quick Reply: Tire patching