Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sport/sport + is this thing working correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:27 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sport/sport + is this thing working correctly?

hi all, New manual .2 GTS with only 1500 miles on it. i've been driving the backroads and started playing w different driving modes. One thing that was blatantly obvious--and made no sense--was throttle response between sport and sport+. SPORT throttle response was much better than Sport +. i quickly changed between modes to test this out in various conditions and different gears, and SPORT always responded better (it was painfully obvious and frustrating). I specially noticed this when going uphill...throttle response was immediate in Sport mode and when switched to Sport + the car just goes dormant and lags (had to down shift at times when otherwise no issue in Sport mode).

I have not redlined the car yet, but does Sport + boost in the higher rev range better, and therefore throttle response more noticeable in track conditions? Torque should be available throughout the rev range, especially in Sport+ where boost is increased. Do i need to get this checked out by dealer or working as expected?

appreciate your input...
Old 07-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sport has a slightly sharper/more sensitive throttle response than sport plus. This is electronically controlled/programmed.
Probably has something to do with the fact that on track you’ll be using sport plus and you don’t want the throttle response/input to react to aggressive.
On track / in sport plus you would want more control over your throttle input.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:34 PM
bibik
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been looking around the forums for an answer to this question. I found a few threads regarding boost pressure and such, but wanted to know more regarding the throttle response and the actual turbo boost feel between the modes.

I have a Carrera T manual, and have observed the following (note that my car is still in break-in, so I haven't ran the engine much over 4000 rpm yet):

Between Sport, Sport+ (and Normal), the throttle response does feel more "dulled" in Sport+. I found one way to tell is to hold the throttle steady in Normal/Sport, and switch the mode dial to Sport+; the throttle suddenly feels "heavier" and you need to push the pedal more to maintain the same speed. However, I feel that this makes the car feel more naturally aspirated in Sport+.

In Normal and Sport modes the boost (and subsequent seat-of-the-pants push) feels like it comes on right away from low rpms, while Sport+ feels like it gradually builds up (albeit quickly). I found that pushing the throttle to the floor is a best way to see the boost pressure build, however I feel as though the boost gauge doesn't translate directly to actual feeling:

Here are some observations (feel free to correct my understanding of turbos and boost pressure):

In Normal and Sport, steady throttle, the boost remains at 0 or 1. When you push the pedal to the floor, there is a half-second delay and the boost increases, but you feel the turbo push hard right away.

In Sport+, steady throttle, the boost remains at 1 (I think this is allows the turbos to spool quickly and reduce lag?). If you push the pedal to the floor, the boost increases right away, but you feel more of a gradual, increasing turbo push. Again, this makes the car feel more naturally aspirated, but also makes Normal/Sport feel like they give better acceleration from a stop.

That being said, since I haven't revved much over 4k yet, does Sport+ give more of a hard push from 4000 to redline? This would make sense if Sport+ is designed for track use and high-rpms like Mark mentioned (when you are in working the throttle on a track, I'd think the last thing you want is for the car to suddenly give you a turbo boost from slight throttle application)

Also, I noticed that when cruising on the freeway at around 70mph, the engine "drones" more when in Normal/Sport modes, with sort of a continuous "booming" sound. The car actually sounds quieter in Sport+. Anyone else notice this? Could this be due to the pre-spooled turbo (constant 1 psi boost in Sport+) allowing the engine to not work as hard?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vickytor
I'm glad you brought this up. I've been looking around the forums for an answer to this question. I found a few threads regarding boost pressure and such, but wanted to know more regarding the throttle response and the actual turbo boost feel between the modes.

I have a Carrera T manual, and have observed the following (note that my car is still in break-in, so I haven't ran the engine much over 4000 rpm yet):

Between Sport, Sport+ (and Normal), the throttle response does feel more "dulled" in Sport+. I found one way to tell is to hold the throttle steady in Normal/Sport, and switch the mode dial to Sport+; the throttle suddenly feels "heavier" and you need to push the pedal more to maintain the same speed. However, I feel that this makes the car feel more naturally aspirated in Sport+.

In Normal and Sport modes the boost (and subsequent seat-of-the-pants push) feels like it comes on right away from low rpms, while Sport+ feels like it gradually builds up (albeit quickly). I found that pushing the throttle to the floor is a best way to see the boost pressure build, however I feel as though the boost gauge doesn't translate directly to actual feeling:

Here are some observations (feel free to correct my understanding of turbos and boost pressure):

In Normal and Sport, steady throttle, the boost remains at 0 or 1. When you push the pedal to the floor, there is a half-second delay and the boost increases, but you feel the turbo push hard right away.

In Sport+, steady throttle, the boost remains at 1 (I think this is allows the turbos to spool quickly and reduce lag?). If you push the pedal to the floor, the boost increases right away, but you feel more of a gradual, increasing turbo push. Again, this makes the car feel more naturally aspirated, but also makes Normal/Sport feel like they give better acceleration from a stop.

That being said, since I haven't revved much over 4k yet, does Sport+ give more of a hard push from 4000 to redline? This would make sense if Sport+ is designed for track use and high-rpms like Mark mentioned (when you are in working the throttle on a track, I'd think the last thing you want is for the car to suddenly give you a turbo boost from slight throttle application)

Also, I noticed that when cruising on the freeway at around 70mph, the engine "drones" more when in Normal/Sport modes, with sort of a continuous "booming" sound. The car actually sounds quieter in Sport+. Anyone else notice this? Could this be due to the pre-spooled turbo (constant 1 psi boost in Sport+) allowing the engine to not work as hard?
I've noticed all those things as well, and I created a thread earlier about my observations. To me, Sport is the most fun mode since it seems more aggressive. I understand that Sport+ may be more linear and better suited for the track, but Sport seems more entertaining for the street.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

We can make this a bigger thing than it is but imho the electronically controlled throttle response has not much to do with boost. It is just the way Porsche programmed the throttle response/sensitivity in the different Sport Chrono modes. Nothing more nothing less. Other car manufacturers are doing the exact same thing. My BMW 5 Serie does the same in sport vs comfort.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
bibik
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
We can make this a bigger thing than it is but imho the electronically controlled throttle response has not much to do with boost. It is just the way Porsche programmed the throttle response/sensitivity in the different Sport Chrono modes. Nothing more nothing less. Other car manufacturers are doing the exact same thing. My BMW 5 Serie does the same in sport vs comfort.
Would you say the main difference in throttle response between Normal/Sport and Sport+ is the linearity?
Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 PM
bibik
Track Day

Originally Posted by reacher
I've noticed all those things as well, and I created a thread earlier about my observations. To me, Sport is the most fun mode since it seems more aggressive. I understand that Sport+ may be more linear and better suited for the track, but Sport seems more entertaining for the street.
Oh I think I read your thread. Same people replying, too.

I guess we should merge the threads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1057...r-991-2-a.html
Old 07-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by vickytor
Would you say the main difference in throttle response between Normal/Sport and Sport+ is the linearity?
It might be. It’s that the same amount of throttle (press) you apply gives a different amount of response in the different modes. The way it reacts (the responsiveness) or in other words the way throttle builds is more aggressive and quicker in sport. The total amount of throttle will be the same, full throttle will be full throttle, in all three modes. But the way it gets there from throttle response / feel point of view is different. That is the best I can describe it.

In my BMW (G30 520i) I find it more noticeable than in my GTS. The modes in the BMW are very distinctive between eco, comfort and sport. Totally different car and engine (programming) however. In the Porsche I mostly drive in sport and sport plus, PDK in manual. And I do notice it, but only if I am very specifically focusing on it and switching between the modes.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sport mode is for fun, sport + is assassin mode.

In sport + it feels like the gas pedal is on a tight throttle cable with no play. I enjoy sport + more. If you get in tune with your car you'll appreciate it a lot more.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Are you driving a .2 GTS?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

For the street, Sport mode is the B E S T !!!
However, the car feels like it is maximum full body flex mode in Sport plus.. Its more fun when you have momentum than sport mode, and it definitely has less turbo lag
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

yea i've seen this many times, and hence the added confusion. Note the 'Response=Performance'. given the muted response of Sport+, I was concerned about something not working correctly. reading all the other responses here tells me it's just the way it is--glad I wasnt the only one. I'm going to have to get to the track to really open it up and get a better 'feel' for it based on the feedback from everyone else. thanks all!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

I think sport mode has sharper initial response because it was designed more for street where one is not flooring the pedal so often. sport + is designed for track where on is often pedal to the floor, so no need for any sharper mapping of the throttle response.

i use sport in town and around back roads, but when i get some open road where I can get some more speed I use sport +. aside from the pedal response, the quicker PDK shifting oomph is so intoxicating.

Quick Reply: sport/sport + is this thing working correctly?