Sponsored by:

Potential problems with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Doug F
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Potential problems with my car?

hey guys! Bought my first Porsche about a month and half ago, 2015 GTS. Driving on the freeway today, I went over an expansion joint, and my car immediately had 4 faults. see the video below. I continued on to my destination, but when I exited the freeway and stopped at my first stop light, the car wouldn't accelerate over 1,200 RPM. The car sat for probably 30 minutes, started it up, the same 4 faults were present. Drove the car around the parking lot and the faults went away. However, the cruise control and the sport/sport plus didn't work. Drove on to my next destination, car sat for 10 to 15 minutes. Started the car up and everything was working again. Drove home (50 miles) and everything was fine. Any ideas as to why this happened?

Last edited by Doug F; 07-03-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes these weird faults can be tracked down to a weak battery. I suppose yours it approaching the end of it's life and worth checking out.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:30 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Could also be a loose connector jarred by the bump. Check the battery voltage first as mentioned....
Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. It was like watching your car about to self destruct! All those errors. I was thinking when were the errors going to stop! Hope you get that fixed soon.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Doug F
Advanced

I took my battery down to the parts store and had them test it, they said it is still good. However I think I'm on borrowed time, the manufactured date stamped on the post makes it almost 4 years old. My wife took the car to work yesterday, a total of 90 miles, and she said there were no issues. I'm at a loss as to why this happened.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Doug F
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2000se
Wow. It was like watching your car about to self destruct! All those errors. I was thinking when were the errors going to stop! Hope you get that fixed soon.
Yeah, it was pretty crazy!
Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts

Battery. Replace it.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:42 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmm I'm still on the original early 2012 battery and haven't had any faults or issues. Keep it on a tender most of the time but still. Maybe it's time to preemptively replace it.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 AM
Doug F
Advanced

Something I failed to mention was that I had just replaced the front left wheel bearing. I have replaced the battery, but that didn't fix the issue. I called my dealer, and they said it sounds like a faulty wheel speed sensor. Today, I received my iCarsoft POR II, and the following fault showed up. Since there's no way to adjust the speed sensor gap, is the speed sensor bad? I don't understand how a wheel speed sensor would go bad after replacing a wheel bearing?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:29 AM
ryoryo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I wanted to share my experience with my 2013 991 C2, because I had a kinda similar problem with a security alarm. Every time I unlock the car and stepped in to the car, the alarm went off. Also it showed "System Fault" on the meter. Yeah, it was a nightmare. I brought the car to the dealer few times and couldn't find a problem. And I went to the different dealership, and they removed the seat, carpets and finally, they figure the problem. It was a water. The guy at the dealer told me, there is a clear water mark under the seat (sponge area) and actual problem was caused by the water between connectors which is located under the driving seat. He said repair will be over $20,000 for replacing all the wires and computers in the car since he doesn't know how many wire harnesses and computers are damaged. He also took a picture of it and as soon as I saw that picture, I was able to figure out what and how it caused. Looking back, I opened the door when there was a lot of snow on the roof and they fell on the seat and also the space between the door sill and the seat. It is my first 911 and I didn't have much experience with such sport car. Of course, I thought about this car is flooded before but Carfax is clean and I removed the door sill, dash trim, door speakers etc... but no water marks found and parts number stickers were held in tact. Maybe it was caused by previous owner by spilling bottle of coke, washing a car with the sunroof open, who knows. So what I did was brought it to local (good) repair shop, removed seat, floor mats and carpet, turn the heater with full fan speed for all day long. Since then, I have no problems.
In my case, the problem start to happen in summer because of evaporation especially when I park the car outside.
Last winter, I brought this car to Japan, and right now having over 100 degree summer, but no problem what so ever.
The carpet(not floor mats) has straight cut between the door sill and the seat. Just under the seat position switch. And that's where main computer is. I don't know why Porsche made it like that. Water/snow can easily go in.
By looking at your video, it seems like it's electrical issue so, I think what you can do is put the seat at highest position, and touch the carpet or floor pan to see if it is wet or not.
Sorry for my poor English but hope it helps.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:37 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug F
Today, I received my iCarsoft POR II, and the following fault showed up. Since there's no way to adjust the speed sensor gap, is the speed sensor bad? I don't understand how a wheel speed sensor would go bad after replacing a wheel bearing?
Smoking gun. A bad wheel speed sensor would provoke all those faults.

As for why... tens of thousands of wheel speed sensors with lifetimes that are described by a bell curve. The meat of the middle of the curve with 98%+ of all sensors is the designed lifetime. The long end of the curve are the sensors than last well beyond the designed life. The other end of the curve are those that fail before the designed lifetime. Or, in other words: !@#$ happens sometimes.

Or, when the wheel bearing was replaced the speed sensor was disturbed. Take your pick but be glad that you've got data that points to a probable cause that's actionable rather than a once-in-a-while problem that can't be traced.

Quick Reply: Potential problems with my car?