Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 bucket in 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022 | 08:36 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncster
I'm planning on using the cantrell sport bucket sub belt mount (link). Would love to hear any other recommendations.

PCA requiers 6 point harnesses, and after looking into how harnesses work, I wouldn't use anything but that either. Looks like you'll need to rethink your seat occupancy sensor routing if you add the sub bar on the passenger seat.
Same here - is this the best option with the folding bucket?

And along similar lines, what is the appropriate attachment method for the lap belts on a six point harness? Adding a BK clip on adapter? I'd like to remove the belts easily when not in use.

Last edited by cbracerx; 08-30-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2022 | 10:19 AM
DC991
Intermediate

I can confirm the Cantrell sub belt mount fits on both the passenger and drivers side. Just make sure you install it on the passenger side before you start attaching all the new hardware under the seat so you will know where to attach it all under the seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by DC991:
cbracerx (08-30-2022), jimjoe997 (08-31-2022)
Old 09-11-2022 | 11:29 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
5-star shout-out to @marinb !

I completed the installation, and no airbag light. All airbags activated!

A few notes from my installation:
  • My independent shop could not reset the airbag light. I took it to my Porsche dealer, explained in detail what I had done, and the technician was able to reset the light very quickly. He told me that he set the airbag section to think that it's a GT3 with new equipment. That reset everything. Quick and easy!
  • There was a brown wire in the passenger seat wiring harness. I didn't know what to do with that. I first had it grounded, wasn't sure that was correct, then I just capped it off.
  • I didn't bother connecting the seat heating for the passenger. This isn't a winter car, so I'm not concerned with that. Driver's heating works fine.
  • I ended up going with the 4-point Schroth harnesses because I could not find an appropriate sub-bar. I know others have had success here, so I may revisit this.
  • This must impact the memory module in some way. My mirror positions are memorized, but the AC is always "off" when the car is started. No big deal.
I am super-happy with the result! Thanks to everyone.
Nice job. Can you detail the attachment of the 4 point Schroth harness lap belts? I am going to use a TeamTech harness and looking at the options for connecting that. Traditionally I have used BK adapters to allow for snap on lap belts so they can be removed when not in "track mode", and leave the shoulder and center belts in place, just tucked behind/under the seat.

I got the Cantrell center belt mounts and the Driver's side is attached and in the car. I had to shift the angle of the airbag controller a slight bit but otherwise bolted right on and looks like a well made solution.
The following users liked this post:
jimjoe997 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-11-2022 | 08:01 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

I installed my seats this weekend in a 2018 CS. I used the approach where the new harness is a donor harness and added _just _ the wires needed to support the occupancy sensor on the passenger seat. It worked out just fine and no codes or airbag light. In the end you only need to add three pins/wires to the existing main plug for the occupancy sensor, and two pins for seat position sensor. Makes a pretty clean install. No need for adapter harness for seat heating, and no other extra unused wiring is left under the seat.

Seat with occupancy sensor using existing opening and with Seat Position Sensor wired into main plug.

Main Plug with Seat Position Sensor.

All you need from the donor passenger wiring harness - this is for the Occupancy Sensor.

The only pins needed for the Occupancy Sensor.

The only wires needed for the Occupancy Sensor.

The sensor harness taped up and all three new pins added to the existing main connector.

Seat ready to be installed.

All done.

No CEL or Airbag Light

The following 3 users liked this post by cbracerx:
jimjoe997 (09-12-2022), tx-911 (09-12-2022), vantage (09-11-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:34 AM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

@cbracerx my lap belts are attached as shown in this picture (driver's left side). Mine are permanently attached... they don't bother me when not in use.

Yours is a very neat and clean installation!

cbracerx (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:40 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cbracerx
I got the Cantrell center belt mounts and the Driver's side is attached and in the car. I had to shift the angle of the airbag controller a slight bit but otherwise bolted right on and looks like a well made solution.
Is that also a Cantrell harness bar? It looks to be the right height for these GT2 buckets, as Schroth requires the shoulder belt angle to the bar/attachment to be level or up to minus 20 degrees when wearing your HANS / HnN restraint.

With some of the bars designed for full buckets, I've seen Sparco/Recaro track seats mounted too high, resulting in very poor belt angles.
Old 09-12-2022 | 10:12 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
Is that also a Cantrell harness bar? It looks to be the right height for these GT2 buckets, as Schroth requires the shoulder belt angle to the bar/attachment to be level or up to minus 20 degrees when wearing your HANS / HnN restraint.

With some of the bars designed for full buckets, I've seen Sparco/Recaro track seats mounted too high, resulting in very poor belt angles.
This is a Competition Motorsports Rollbar. The belt angle with these seats is right on, I verified with some other posts here

Last edited by cbracerx; 09-12-2022 at 10:38 AM.
vantage (09-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2023 | 09:10 PM
hallvardr
Instructor

Great work on this. I am trying to get a 991 sport seat into my 996 and was hoping someone here could help with confirming or finding errors on my diagram.
I am pretty confident about everything on the 996 side, but I thing some things are not correct on the 991 side, especially the seatbelt parts, since I do not see any wires going there.

Old 03-16-2023 | 12:51 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

For California residents who imported a bucket seat from carnewal or other place:

Has anyone gotten hit with a sales / use tax bill from California? I just got a letter asking to pay 9.5% use tax (separate and apart from the 3% import duty). Seat was imported in July 2022.
Old 03-24-2023 | 11:40 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Yes. Same from a set of seats that I imported in 2020. If it weren’t so god damn beautiful in this state…
Old 03-25-2023 | 01:00 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
For California residents who imported a bucket seat from carnewal or other place:

Has anyone gotten hit with a sales / use tax bill from California? I just got a letter asking to pay 9.5% use tax (separate and apart from the 3% import duty). Seat was imported in July 2022.
Same over here on the right side in PA. Got my bill same day this was posted!
Old 03-25-2023 | 02:22 PM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Anyone looking to part with their seats? Currently looking for a set.
Old 04-08-2023 | 03:47 AM
ncster
Racer

I'm installing harnesses on my 981 with the GT2 bucket seats. Need some help with the lap belts.

I have the schroth GT3/GT4 bolt kit (below).

I'm not able to figure out the ordering of the washers. I tried the following setup:

Seat | Porsche specific harness end | small washer (bottom) | tiny sleeve with factory belt/buckle | bolt.

If I add the big washer that goes over the sleeve/post, there isn't enough space for the factory belt. If I omit the washer (as above), the harness ends up with some play.

What's the correct order? Thanks!
Old 04-23-2023 | 02:01 PM
mab33
Rennlist Member

Would anyone have a passenger seat wiring harness they'd be willing to part with by chance?
Old 04-23-2023 | 02:25 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimmymoO

Agree. I think worst comes to worst I’ll see if I could get a custom made bracket that sits lower.

I’ll reach out to Mooty to see if there’s anyone I could meet to sit in the car. Thanks!

That’s a bummer but good to know I guess. It sounds like the only gating piece is the occupancy sensor warning (which to activate the airbag). Again, I presume you are right on about the US PIWIS not able to clear the code. Again, I‘ve seen folks on the forum taking delivery of the T with the GT2 bucket seat but they are all in Europe.
Realizing that my experience in a 981GT4 with 997 GT2 seats may be wholly irrelevant, I tried my best to find some airbag work around. NADA.

Quick Reply: GT2 bucket in 991.2