Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer delivered my car with the front plate and plate mount/frame in the frunk. I’m in NY which also has a front plate requirement so I pressed them to install. The manager took me aside and said the only reason to really install is if you plan on having a few drinks when out to dinner, etc. He said between looks and the fact you have to drill the bumper to mount make it not worth it. I was really surprised but almost a year in and my front plate is where the dealer left it.

Haven’t had any issues but I also don’t have my windows tinted which I find to be by far the number one way to grab an officer’s attention in the Tri-State. No tints and you are good to go...

i say no front plate, keep it clean!!
Old 07-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88
My dealer delivered my car with the front plate and plate mount/frame in the frunk. I’m in NY which also has a front plate requirement so I pressed them to install. The manager took me aside and said the only reason to really install is if you plan on having a few drinks when out to dinner, etc. He said between looks and the fact you have to drill the bumper to mount make it not worth it. I was really surprised but almost a year in and my front plate is where the dealer left it.

Haven’t had any issues but I also don’t have my windows tinted which I find to be by far the number one way to grab an officer’s attention in the Tri-State. No tints and you are good to go...

i say no front plate, keep it clean!!
In Virginia, on a 65mph highway, a State Trooper was going the opposite direction on the highway, saw my car with no front plate, turned around in the median and pulled me over for no plate. I don't want to give them an excuse to pull me over so I gave in and now have front plates on my beloved sports cars. YMMV

Last edited by Hurricane; 07-15-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

As many have read I have been using the rare earth magnet trick with the plate frame on my 991.2 GTS. The car has parking sensors so a center mounting solution is really the best (only?) option. At first I used the front plate every now and then, but now I worry a little that no front plate just gives the police an excuse to pull me over. As an aside my Carmine Red GTS makes the head of most cops swivel as if they were Linda Blair filming a scene from the Exorcist.

While it works great, I have found that the pressure from the frame edges leave a linear mark on the PPF where ever the plate frame edge contacts the bumper cover. I don’t like that so for now I have removed the plate frame and I will wing it without a front plate until I am able to install the plate with a Skene mount. I have a unique mounting issue and I have an idea about how to solve that problem. I’ll submit a post with pics when I’m finished. I hope to do this tomorrow (it will be Monday I think ) if I get a chance. I’m retired so every day is Saturday, except Sunday which is Sunday of course. I never work on a Monday so tomorrow, being Saturday, will be the day
Old 07-15-2018, 09:31 PM
USMC10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flickroll
As many have read I have been using the rare earth magnet trick with the plate frame on my 991.2 GTS. The car has parking sensors so a center mounting solution is really the best (only?) option. At first I used the front plate every now and then, but now I worry a little that no front plate just gives the police an excuse to pull me over. As an aside my Carmine Red GTS makes the head of most cops swivel as if they were Linda Blair filming a scene from the Exorcist.

While it works great, I have found that the pressure from the frame edges leave a linear mark on the PPF where ever the plate frame edge contacts the bumper cover. I don’t like that so for now I have removed the plate frame and I will wing it without a front plate until I am able to install the plate with a Skene mount. I have a unique mounting issue and I have an idea about how to solve that problem. I’ll submit a post with pics when I’m finished. I hope to do this tomorrow (it will be Monday I think ) if I get a chance. I’m retired so every day is Saturday, except Sunday which is Sunday of course. I never work on a Monday so tomorrow, being Saturday, will be the day
Thanks man. Look forward to seeing how it goes (and the photos of course). I wished everyday was Saturday...lately for me it seems everyday is Monday. :-)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thx all for the tips - my Skene medium shipped and hope to get it mid week. will install next week and post pics.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thts awesome about every day being Saturday— hopefully within a few years of that myself 😉

I’m planning on the magnet solution myself- and am just getting the parts together. Sounds like some of the rare earths might be overly aggressive - have you considered trying to put some thick furniture felt pads on the magnets to lift the frame off the bumper a little bit?
Old 07-16-2018, 02:29 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mreloc

thts awesome about every day being Saturday— hopefully within a few years of that myself 😉

I’m planning on the magnet solution myself- and am just getting the parts together. Sounds like some of the rare earths might be overly aggressive - have you considered trying to put some thick furniture felt pads on the magnets to lift the frame off the bumper a little bit?
I used some 1/16” closed cell foam (Amazon) on the ‘inside’ vertical edge , wrapping around to the edge that ‘mates’ with the bumper cover. Worked great for a while but after a few weeks the foam ‘rode’ back down the vertical edge such that it was the plastic edge back on the bumper cover. Perhaps weaker magnets would be better, or fewer of the strength that I am using. Felt might work OK. I also found that the 1/16” foam somewhat marred the PPF, however light application of a heat gun would remove them. Long term not so sure. In any event, I decided that because the state where I reside (VA) is so motorist unfriendly (anything over 80 mph is reckless and requires an attorney!!) that I said to myself “screw it’, tag is going on, but I’m not drilling the face of the bumper cover, so gonna try Skene and see how that does.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:40 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by arter
Or glue magnets to the back of the plate and under the front bumper. Takes about 30 lbs of pull to remove it and leaves no marks.
Take it off and on as needed.
I used some 1/16” closed cell foam (Amazon) on the ‘inside’ vertical edge , wrapping around to the edge that ‘mates’ with the bumper cover. Worked great for a while but after a few weeks the foam ‘rode’ back down the vertical edge such that it was the plastic edge back on the bumper cover. Perhaps weaker magnets would be better, or fewer of the strength that I am using. Felt might work OK. I also found that the 1/16” foam somewhat marred the PPF, however light application of a heat gun would remove them. Long term not so sure. In any event, I decided that because the state where I reside (VA) is so motorist unfriendly (anything over 80 mph is reckless and requires an attorney!!) that I said to myself “screw it’, tag is going on, but I’m not drilling the face of the bumper cover, so gonna try Skene and see how that does.

One of the few good thinsg about living in CA with it's f-d up government is that most of the police effort is used against gang-bangers and not much in the way of traffic enforcement. Mostly it's meter maids (misters? persons? attendants?) that issue citations when a car is parked - thus my desire for a good snap on, snap off solution.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mreloc
One of the few good thinsg about living in CA with it's f-d up government is that most of the police effort is used against gang-bangers and not much in the way of traffic enforcement. Mostly it's meter maids (misters? persons? attendants?) that issue citations when a car is parked - thus my desire for a good snap on, snap off solution.
You are lucky! Not too big a problem around where I live with no front tag, but I live in the same state as Hurricane who was nailed by VASP, so decided why risk it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9726...991-2-a-5.html. post #69
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

You are lucky! Not too big a problem around where I live with no front tag, but I live in the same state as Hurricane who was nailed by VASP, so decided why risk it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9726...991-2-a-5.html. post #69
Yeah I ran for many years without a front plate in Corvettes (which look even worse with the OEM front plate, especially the C5 and C6!) but got tired of getting hassled when pulled over in NOVA. Having a State Trooper coming the opposite direction turn around and run me down for no front plate (and a ticket) was the last straw. The wore me down LOL!

Would have preferred not to have to drill the bumper but the car will have a front plate as long as I own it and I am not worried about the next owner as that will be another decade from now. That being said, I applaud all the efforts to put on a front plate without drilling! I would have opted for the tow hook solution personally except for the fact that it would probably interfere with my parking sensors and I think it looks a little funny offset. Plus, I would always have it on so why not just throw on the OEM bracket at that point.

But if I lived in an area where they didn't hassle you...oh yeah, no front plate!
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Having a State Trooper coming the opposite direction turn around and run me down for no front plate (and a ticket) was the last straw.
:

So ridiculous, guess they have nothing better to do.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
So ridiculous, guess they have nothing better to do.
^truth!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:30 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

It's amazing to me the trouble people go through to avoid mounting the front plate. Not that big a deal - just drill it and forget about it.
All it takes is one drink too many and no front plate to be in pile of unwanted trouble.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by onedae
It's amazing to me the trouble people go through to avoid mounting the front plate. Not that big a deal - just drill it and forget about it.
All it takes is one drink too many and no front plate to be in pile of unwanted trouble.
Oy. If you have one drink too many than you get what's coming to you.

Last edited by mreloc; 07-18-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?