Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:43 PM
USMC10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?

This topic seems to come and go, but thought to revisit it as new options seem to be released every few months.

Virginia requires a front plate and I do not want to drill the front bumper. I'm currently looking at these two. Would appreciate any help or advice before pulling the trigger. Key thing I'm concerned about is I do not want to block a parking sensor.

1) Carbonio: Anyone know if the Carbonio will fit a 991.2 GTS? It's advertised for the GT3, but looks to be a great option if it will work. I tried calling Carbonio but seems to go to voicemail. https://carbonio.com/collections/por...se-plate-mount

2) Cravenspeed Platypus: Looks decent and is probably more reliable than the Carbonio as it mounts to the tow hook. I'm not sure if this blocks the parking sensor on the 991.2. Anyone know? https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...t-for-porsche/

Thanks for the input!

Mike
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for your service and congrats on your new GTS. I would also look into the skene-design mounting bracket in medium to large size. I do not have a GTS but it fits my C2S perfectly. Check for compatibility.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 PM
USMC10
Advanced

Thanks my friend. I am eyeing the Skene although it also appears to require drilling the bumper (from underneath). I suppose that's better than drilling the front. Will take a closer look nonetheless...
Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Rennline also offer a quality option. Very well made
Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The platypus comes with a dime sized black stickie that blinds the adjacent sensor. No faults.
Have also had skene for my TTS.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:14 AM
Panzer966
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought the Craven speed for both my porsche, macan GTS and 991.1 GTS, i really like the quality, it's easy to install and it worked really nice on the Macan, haven't put the 911 one yet, i like the front bumper line to much.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM
USMC10
Advanced

Thanks fellas. Something about blinding parking sensors erks me. It's like buying a car with ventilated seats but not being able to use the passenger side. Or buying a car with 7 gears but only get to use the first 6. It just doesn't seem right.
​​​​​​
Anyone have any experience with the Carbonio mount on the 991.2?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

3M double sided automotive trim tape.

Mount any any height or location you want.
Curves plate to match bumper
Will stay on 5 years (and counting) yet removes easily if desired
Same method euro delivery uses to mount your temp front plate.
Does not require drilling or removing anything.
Cheap

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 07-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (01-28-2024)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC10
Thanks fellas. Something about blinding parking sensors erks me. It's like buying a car with ventilated seats but not being able to use the passenger side. Or buying a car with 7 gears but only get to use the first 6. It just doesn't seem right.
​​​​​​
Anyone have any experience with the Carbonio mount on the 991.2?
That is one of the reasons I just gave in and had the OEM bracket installed. I will have the car forever and have been pulled over before for no front plate in Virginia, so I ride with one on now - don't want the unneeded attention lol.

Good luck, though! I hate that we have to run with front plates here. Most Porsche people I know here just run with the OEM bracket bit those that do not usually use a tow-hook mounted bracket that is removable.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 PM
USMC10
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
3M double sided automotive trim tape.

Mount any any height or location you want.
Curves plate to match bumper
Will stay on 5 years (and counting) yet removes easily if desired
Same method euro delivery uses to mount your temp front plate.
Does not require drilling or removing anything.
Cheap

Brilliant! Up till now I casted this option away as not realistic...however the way you describe it, and the more I think about it, it's probably the best option overall. Thanks for the clarity!

Just need to be sure to replace the tape every so often so that it doesn't fall off in year 5 while driving down the highway!
Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 PM
USMC10
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hurricane

That is one of the reasons I just gave in and had the OEM bracket installed. I will have the car forever and have been pulled over before for no front plate in Virginia, so I ride with one on now - don't want the unneeded attention lol.

Good luck, though! I hate that we have to run with front plates here. Most Porsche people I know here just run with the OEM bracket bit those that do not usually use a tow-hook mounted bracket that is removable.

Yes, the OEM bracket remains an option my friend. I may ultimately come to the same conclusion as you, and do the same. Still trying to explore (and rule out) all options before grabbing the drill.

Cheers, and Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Brilliant! Up till now I casted this option away as not realistic...however the way you describe it, and the more I think about it, it's probably the best option overall. Thanks for the clarity!

Just need to be sure to replace the tape every so often so that it doesn't fall off in year 5 while driving down the highway!

Or glue magnets to the back of the plate and under the front bumper. Takes about 30 lbs of pull to remove it and leaves no marks.
Take it off and on as needed.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I've had my plate on my Cayenne for almost exactly 5 years and 66k miles and have never replaced it. Plate is still going strong. 3 years on my Lexus and it was holding strong when I pulled it off to turn in.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Or glue magnets to the back of the plate and under the front bumper. Takes about 30 lbs of pull to remove it and leaves no marks.
Take it off and on as needed.
I love this idea- I wonder if it would interfere with the keyless entry to the frunk.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I did the magnet mount on a previous car, rare earth magnets from ebay or amazon, amazingly good hold as mentioned already.
The frunk lid radio transponder is right at the top in front of the badge and a steady state magnetic field wouldn't cause a problem anyway.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?