Recommendations for track day wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recommendations for track day wheels

Hi All!

Loving my 911! Coming out of an M4...a nice car, but this car is amazing.

Im doing a few HPDE and want a track only wheel. Anyone have options to recommend? There are so many out there, I am lost. I want them in black and 20 inch ( as i have the rear wheel steering)

I dont need to spend a ton, but want decent quality since the car will be traveling at high speeds and hitting corners at Road America with some G's

TIA

Kurt
Old 06-30-2018, 01:29 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

My favorite track wheels are usually OEM cast-offs that have been curbed and rashed, but not bent. OEM are TUV-approved and no body wants them so they are cheap to buy especially if not pretty. Paint 'em Fluorescent Green and feed them a steady diet of R-Compound tires. Only beginners show up with new track wheels on their cars....
Old 07-01-2018, 01:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,781 Likes on 5,142 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thdoc14
Hi All!

Loving my 911! Coming out of an M4...a nice car, but this car is amazing.

Im doing a few HPDE and want a track only wheel. Anyone have options to recommend? There are so many out there, I am lost. I want them in black and 20 inch ( as i have the rear wheel steering)

I dont need to spend a ton, but want decent quality since the car will be traveling at high speeds and hitting corners at Road America with some G's

TIA

Kurt
Buy an extra set of the OEM wheels.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

oz wheels at tirerank are cheap and good for the track
Old 07-01-2018, 08:34 AM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Signature wheel. Won't find a better forged wheel for the money.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Would you guys go 19s if equipped with 20s from OEM?
Old 07-01-2018, 10:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

OZ wheels for something lower cost but strong and run by lots of us over the years at the track. For something really nice and race tested/run I would get Forgeline or HRE.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
Yes, 18s if they would fit. Cheaper tires with a bigger selection.
Plus a torque multiplier for the smaller diameter ( if you dont drag).
Old 07-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is my post on another thread, highly recommend these Michellin 4S tires if u dont want tures like SportCup2.

Aku700 , Yesterday 07:27 PM
Here is another reason I go with the 18's, I just came back from Streets of Willow last Saturday, did my first day EVER on a track with my MT 991 GTS and it was beyond explanation or expectations. I am not sure what times are considered fast, but with my amazing instructor Robert at this POC event, I got my time down from 1.40 a lap in my first session to 1.29 a lap on the 4th session, not bad for a newbie. And to my surprise, I won best in class, beat several higher performance cars, but anyway, here is what's so great about the 18's, you can adjust the sides, similar to bucket, but obviously no comparison, but it was enough to keep my body planted throughout this course, I never thought/worried about my body, my legs/body never moved. I think the fastest times on the course were around 1.25s, so the fact I did this in comfort and no sliding in my 18's speaks volumes, it actually reaffirms my decision to go 18s. Also, on another note that I didn't think about, I was purchasing my helmet at Werks II in Burbank week prior to race, I noticed they had buckets, so they said, "ya, we can just swap them in/out with ease". So, since I will only track my GT3 3-5 times a year, I can buy the buckets and swap them in/out as needed, that is if I get more serious about this racing, because this was an accelerating experience to track a car and have no cops, radars, lazers, deer, bicyclist, pedestrians, grandma's and/or any other crap to worry about, except for passing slower cars, lol.

and btw, I did the 1.29 with my Michelin Sport 4S tires, most everyone else had SportCup2's, etc. damn it was fun, so I can probably shave off another 2-4 seconds with better tires, maybe more, who knows.

And it also reaffirms Manual vs PDK. I was really worried about tracking for my first time and shifting, brake, clutch, gas, yada, yada, yada, this is my first manual car in 25 years, so I was scarred xxxxless out there on my first few laps, but at the end of the day, I was like "WOW", I love the manual, going down towards the skid and popping it from 2nd to 3rd was awesome, then into 4th, so ya, you FEEL that car, more connected somehow, MANUAL is the way to go. But that's only my personal opinion/experience, to each his own obviously. Yes, manual in traffic sucks, but thank god I work from home, so only spend about 10% of my year bumper to bumper LA grid.

And I loved your article, because after realizing how fast my GTS was, is a GT3 too much for me?

A
Old 07-01-2018, 01:25 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

What's wrong with the wheels that come on the car? I was lanning to buy new wheels for winter, but track the wheels that come on the car. 20" RS Spyder.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:45 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
I would. Lighter, lower final gearing, lower center of CG and a few more tire options like the RE71R make it a terrific track option in my eye and the direction I'm going. Not only are the 19" OZ Leggera HLT's a great option but APEX just released 18" wheels in Porsche 911 fitment and 19's are up next.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
What's wrong with the wheels that come on the car? I was lanning to buy new wheels for winter, but track the wheels that come on the car. 20" RS Spyder.
Couple reasons

1) so you can run dedicated track tires instead of tracking and trashing perfectly good street tires.

2) 19 or 18 inch tires are more common and cheaper. If you are a good driver you go through tires fast.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:16 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kennypowers

Couple reasons

1) so you can run dedicated track tires instead of tracking and trashing perfectly good street tires.

2) 19 or 18 inch tires are more common and cheaper. If you are a good driver you go through tires fast.
I have PCCB and rear wheel steering, so I have to run 20" wheels.

I will end up trashing perfectly good tires. But I can buy new tires when they wear out.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I went thru this challenge a few months ago, my experience was the lowest cost option are the regular OZs. Next up the list were the OZ forgedmoptions from a cost perspective (which i got on closeout) then all the obvious high end options such as mentioned above. Also the package was about 20lbs less overall than factory.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for the OZ Racing wheels. It is better to get a set of track wheels before you trash the $$$ OEMs. Any wheels will get encrusted with brake dust and rubber, which can get baked on to the point where it becomes impossible to fully clean off.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for track day wheels