Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for track day wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Aesome feedback back and great driving out in SOW.

You think we can fit an 18s on the 991? I have the C4S was already thinking a set of 19s, but if 18 fits, really want the benefits!!

Originally Posted by Aku700
Here is my post on another thread, highly recommend these Michellin 4S tires if u dont want tures like SportCup2.

Aku700 , Yesterday 07:27 PM
Here is another reason I go with the 18's, I just came back from Streets of Willow last Saturday, did my first day EVER on a track with my MT 991 GTS and it was beyond explanation or expectations. I am not sure what times are considered fast, but with my amazing instructor Robert at this POC event, I got my time down from 1.40 a lap in my first session to 1.29 a lap on the 4th session, not bad for a newbie. And to my surprise, I won best in class, beat several higher performance cars, but anyway, here is what's so great about the 18's, you can adjust the sides, similar to bucket, but obviously no comparison, but it was enough to keep my body planted throughout this course, I never thought/worried about my body, my legs/body never moved. I think the fastest times on the course were around 1.25s, so the fact I did this in comfort and no sliding in my 18's speaks volumes, it actually reaffirms my decision to go 18s. Also, on another note that I didn't think about, I was purchasing my helmet at Werks II in Burbank week prior to race, I noticed they had buckets, so they said, "ya, we can just swap them in/out with ease". So, since I will only track my GT3 3-5 times a year, I can buy the buckets and swap them in/out as needed, that is if I get more serious about this racing, because this was an accelerating experience to track a car and have no cops, radars, lazers, deer, bicyclist, pedestrians, grandma's and/or any other crap to worry about, except for passing slower cars, lol.

and btw, I did the 1.29 with my Michelin Sport 4S tires, most everyone else had SportCup2's, etc. damn it was fun, so I can probably shave off another 2-4 seconds with better tires, maybe more, who knows.

And it also reaffirms Manual vs PDK. I was really worried about tracking for my first time and shifting, brake, clutch, gas, yada, yada, yada, this is my first manual car in 25 years, so I was scarred xxxxless out there on my first few laps, but at the end of the day, I was like "WOW", I love the manual, going down towards the skid and popping it from 2nd to 3rd was awesome, then into 4th, so ya, you FEEL that car, more connected somehow, MANUAL is the way to go. But that's only my personal opinion/experience, to each his own obviously. Yes, manual in traffic sucks, but thank god I work from home, so only spend about 10% of my year bumper to bumper LA grid.

And I loved your article, because after realizing how fast my GTS was, is a GT3 too much for me?

A
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I would. Lighter, lower final gearing, lower center of CG and a few more tire options like the RE71R make it a terrific track option in my eye and the direction I'm going. Not only are the 19" OZ Leggera HLT's a great option but APEX just released 18" wheels in Porsche 911 fitment and 19's are up next.
totally agreed! If any 991 fitted with 18s, with more positive feedback for track then negative, I am heading to my local dealer and pick up a set of 18s with some most sensible track tires installed

(btw, I like how you stated where your location is......you're a track junkie....!!! I'm 35 miles of Auto Club.....lol)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

18s won't fit. Take a look at the outboard suspension pickup points in the rear. They barely clear the barrel of a 19-inch wheel. No way an 18 will clear.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
18s won't fit. Take a look at the outboard suspension pickup points in the rear. They barely clear the barrel of a 19-inch wheel. No way an 18 will clear.
i noticed that too when I was doing my oil change the other day.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Any way to fit a 19in wheel with Rear Axle steering? I'm in the same boat. Looking at wheels for track duty and was thinking about Victor Baden wheels.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Any way to fit a 19in wheel with Rear Axle steering? I'm in the same boat. Looking at wheels for track duty and was thinking about Victor Baden wheels.
Yes, should be able, with slight modification of the control arm bolt. Have to shave about 3/4 of an inch or so depending on wheel used. Check out the gt3 section. Some track rats have done it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...for-track.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-wheels-2.html
Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Throwing my vote in for Forgeline and Signature for best ROI for fully forged track wheels. 19in will fit RWS just needs shallow bolt heads on the rear control arms. I'd be happy to work with anyone and put together a wheel set with necessary hardware to fit there car. My number is 484 883 6197, give me a shout any time
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you verify you cannot use less than 20" dur toe PCCB and rear wheel steering? Looking for rims/tires for my 991 Turbo S, and found several 19" for GT3RS ... which I assumed would be pretty much the same car (except NA and weight) ?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 PM
SDB
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

19” off my 997.2 Targa fit my 991.2 C4S w/ sport pkg, RWS, SPASM, spt chrono

Quick Reply: Recommendations for track day wheels