991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I was thinking that this morning.

The Vektor headers look great, but are they worth 1k or so over the Kline headers? Hmmm..
Hard to come by pics of the Kline headers. Hard to come by data too. They are made from 304SS from what I've read. The Vektor ones are 321SS and have a better design cast merge. So the Vektor ones should be more durable and better performing.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 AM
DaniMonteiro991
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG

My car is also tuned and is over 600hp.
So, I will stand behind my statement that my tuned 600HP AMG is still faster than a stock 911 GTS or even a tuned 911 GTS.
Thats because its a V8 and not a V6.
How fast a C63S can be vs a 991.2? here is the answer:

Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I was thinking that this morning.

The Vektor headers look great, but are they worth 1k or so over the Kline headers? Hmmm..
Yes, I think they are. Especialy with the added White Lightening ceramic coat.

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Hard to come by pics of the Kline headers. Hard to come by data too. They are made from 304SS from what I've read. The Vektor ones are 321SS and have a better design cast merge. So the Vektor ones should be more durable and better performing.
I looked for Kline and couldn't find any for 991.2 GTS. I do like the sound of the Kline, but I prefer how Akra is interchangeable with the Stock PSE. So I can fit the Akra cats first to see if that is enough sound with the Vektor headers. Then later if not enough, I can do the Akra cans. Whereas Klein you have to do it all at the same time, as they don't fit anything else.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:26 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Steve: My AMG was 605hp and I have a 991.2 GTS. The GTS wouldn't **** on my AMG, I would be watching you in my rearview.
You probably should take it to a track - you will see its a very different story . Even in a straight line 450/1.515 = 297 HP/tonne Vs 603/2.085 = 289.

In my experience, the C63/E63AMG are poor round a track, they are under braked and have terrible traction, they are complete toast after a few laps (they are not competitive in anything I've seen). The E63 is even worse than the C63 largely because it weighs 4500lbs.....

Relevant to Porsche, the only MB thats been any good in recent times is the AMG GTS and R even then the sight lines are poor. For an MB saloon car to get close they would have to have a massive make over including losing weight, gaining structural rigidity and heavily modified suspension. Adding HP makes them worse than they already are. High performance cars are not just about HP. They are about total integrated performance.

Lets keep this thread as the OP intended

Last edited by groundhog; 07-04-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
You probably should take it to a track - you will see its a very different story . Even in a straight line 450/1.515 = 297 HP/tonne Vs 603/2.085 = 289.

In my experience, the C63/E63AMG are poor round a track, they are under braked and have terrible traction, they are complete toast after a few laps (they are not competitive in anything I've seen). The E63 is even worse than the C63 largely because it weighs 4500lbs.....

Relevant to Porsche, the only MB thats been any good in recent times is the AMG GTS and R even then the sight lines are poor. For an MB saloon car to get close they would have to have a massive make over including losing weight, gaining structural rigidity and heavily modified suspension. Adding HP makes them worse than they already are. High performance cars are not just about HP. They are about total integrated performance.

Lets keep this thread as the OP intended
Yup. You only have to watch the AMG GTS safety car at F1 races to see what an embarrassment they are on the track. The Medical car (E63) seems to be a little better suited to purpose. Although, the Panamera GT Turbo would be cooler, and faster. However; I think we’ll be seeing Porsche pace or medical cars on an F1 track, about the same time hell freezes over
Old 07-10-2018, 08:19 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Yes, why did they all release at the same time. I will need to sell a kidney. Vektor also offer the white lightening ceramic coating. My AMS IC should be here on Thursday (two days - already Tuesday now : ) I'm speaking from your future. GMT +10 ) But the box for tune hasn't arrived, so I gather they will show up together. But if I pull the ECU, I won't be able to move the car to get to the shop and have the IC fitted.

Third world problems.
So the Intercoolers showed up yesterday. They look epic. The carbon fibre is beautiful. Finished perfectly. My install guy was admiring them and saying never before has he seen something finished so perfectly, that will never be seen by anyone ever. Hahaha. I said well, we saw it.

But the worst bit is, COBB sent the AP instead of an empty box to ship the ECU. It is useless to me. I waited almost two weeks and still no box to ship it. So now I have to put the ECU back in, and wait for the box to arrive and then pull it back out again. At least the IC were installed, but I haven't driven it yet, as I have to wait for ECU to go back in tomorrow.

(Just because I enquired could we unlock it locally. But after COBB reading us the riot act about zero warranty even on their COBB AP, we accepted that and said send us the box, we will get YOU to do it.) But they sent the AP instead. More Wasted time. Here is a thought, it's 2018, how about sending EXPRESS, and not slow row boat from china.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

So the Intercoolers showed up yesterday. They look epic. The carbon fibre is beautiful. Finished perfectly. My install guy was admiring them and saying never before has he seen something finished so perfectly, that will never be seen by anyone ever. Hahaha. I said well, we saw it.

But the worst bit is, COBB sent the AP instead of an empty box to ship the ECU. It is useless to me. I waited almost two weeks and still no box to ship it. So now I have to put the ECU back in, and wait for the box to arrive and then pull it back out again. At least the IC were installed, but I haven't driven it yet, as I have to wait for ECU to go back in tomorrow.

(Just because I enquired could we unlock it locally. But after COBB reading us the riot act about zero warranty even on their COBB AP, we accepted that and said send us the box, we will get YOU to do it.) But they sent the AP instead. More Wasted time. Here is a thought, it's 2018, how about sending EXPRESS, and not slow row boat from china.
Hey 4 Point 0,

We apologize for the delay here. This was our fault/miscommunication that time and we're doing our best to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Shipping in ECUs its a new process for us so we're still sorting out the various scenarios that can play out. This was not handled as quickly/efficiently as we would have liked to and we apologize for that.

Thanks,
-Aaron@COBB

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Give him a discount or something.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Hey 4 Point 0,

We apologize for the delay here. This was our fault/miscommunication that time and we're doing our best to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Shipping in ECUs its a new process for us so we're still sorting out the various scenarios that can play out. This was not handled as quickly/efficiently as we would have liked to and we apologize for that.

Thanks,
-Aaron@COBB
No worries I understand. The AMS Intercoolers are MINT! The best part is you can see the weave in the duct if you look. Its subtle but its there, Very cool. I only had a short drive last night bringing the car home, It was raining and heavy traffic. Where I did get to put my foot down a little, it was very strong. Going on a much longer drive today.

I will wait for the padded box to arrive. I don't want to be without my car. I have to find a window where I can be without it. We will send it Priority to try and cut the time down, and I am happy to pay for you guys to send it back priority as well. I look forward to seeing what it will do. Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
dchyung (11-01-2023)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

AMS - Alpha Performance
Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

AMS - Alpha Performance
Thats super cool
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Anybody knows if now that people are finally tunning the 991.2's, is it possible to install the X51 Carrera S Powerkit on a base model ? Porsche dealers won't do it, but if now there's the possibility of reprograming the ECU I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to do it.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Anybody knows if now that people are finally tunning the 991.2's, is it possible to install the X51 Carrera S Powerkit on a base model ? Porsche dealers won't do it, but if now there's the possibility of reprograming the ECU I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to do it.
The whole reason that one would buy the X51 powerkit is to retain the factory warranty. If you cannot install it on the base model, which Porsche does intentionally to stop people from buying the Base and then adding a 6k upgrade for GTS model performance, then why not buy the TIAL turbo upgrades for the same price?

You could tune them to make far more power then the X51 turbo's, which you would have to do with the X51's anyway to run them on the Base. If you left the tune conservative you wouldn't even need supplementary cooling upgrades.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not a bad idea, but at US$ 5.800 the X51 is a very good deal. That's why I was asking..... Don't need a very aggressive tunning and the idea would be not to do many changes to the car (ex: additional cooling).
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok ordered my Cobb through Porsche dealer for my new base 991.2. . Just broke 1000 miles after 2 weeks. Dice rolled on warranty ... for now OTS map. Will provide impressions late next week.
i drove it like I stole it on day one . Redline , limiter, high speeds. No need to break in these new Porsche’s.

Quick Reply: 991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno