Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

I found a local T owner with a Cobb tune - manual. We are talking about doing a comparison video with driving dynamics and performance vs my stock T. It going to be funny to watch me get my butt kicked doing some pulls....
I will probably have the akra slip on by then but that gives like 15 hp, topps. We can also compare stock exhaust vs aftermarket in that same video.
Does anyone know if the Cobb changes the exhaust sound at all compared to stock?
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (05-06-2020)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:43 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I found a local T owner with a Cobb tune - manual. We are talking about doing a comparison video with driving dynamics and performance vs my stock T. It going to be funny to watch me get my butt kicked doing some pulls....
I will probably have the akra slip on by then but that gives like 15 hp, topps. We can also compare stock exhaust vs aftermarket in that same video.
Does anyone know if the Cobb changes the exhaust sound at all compared to stock?
Just to clarify that Akrapovic gives 15hp only of you combine the Slip On exhaust with their sport cats.

In case you use OEM cats and slip on exhaust the gains are up to 3 hp.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I see hurt feelings speaking over logic. The base, T, S, GTS all have the 3.0L engine. Same rods, pistons, heads, cams, crank, SAME ENGINE. Only the turbo size and ecu mqpping are different. so whatever you think you can do to a GTS engine to achieve 700 horsepower can be done to any 3.0L engine to achieve the same HP in any model. The letter on the side doesn’t provide magical super powers allowing you to mod your 3.0L to higher performance numbers than everyone else.
As far as all the options PTV PASM AND THE LIKES I would direct your attention the the Carrera T. Base horsepower out of the same 3.0l as the GTS STANDARD WITH PTV, PASM, optional RAS, standard Limited slip differential.. (Don’t think the GTS has that) LSD is a track must. And great on the streeet light weight buckets, light weight glass.. So for arguments sake we tune and mod both a T and GTS to 700 hp. I think you will find the lighter T in front of you.
Bottom line
every model series prior to this had two reason to move up the model line. A different engine with more horsepower and more standard features with more available luxury options.
Now same engine and base level cars with same performance options standard. I could care less what the little letter on the side says.. I am not snobby that way. I do however pay very close attention to cost versus performance. The GTS just doesn’t pan out to me as a good buy in regards to performance and driving versus cost. Of course if your intentions are to try and flip the car after a year like most do then yeah I guess GTS historically have held value better than other models.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Or if you decide to not change the exhaust at all and just change the cats to high flow, you will achieve virtually the same gains
Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Copperhead:
Are you aware that the GTS has ceramic Brakes stock? Do the brakes not help in tracking the car allowing faster braking without overheating?
Have you noticed the wider hips on the GTS? Do you think that doesnt lend itself to better handling? Same with rear axel steering.

Not so sure that ANY of the base carrera models with equal engine HP would beat a GTS on the track or the street, but no question the engine displacement would still be 3.0
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I dont think akrapovic would need to lie with such small gains. The power bump is marginal. Check out their dynos with and without link pipes, looks like most of the gains are with exhaust alone... I understand these are not independently verified. If you open these with a pdf viewer and scroll back and forth they are really close. I think both the stock cats and muffler are excellent, and equally and only minorly restrictive. Im also putting the AMS filter which should help the new lungs fill with air..
At the end of the day, Im just looking for more badassy sound and increased throttle/turbo response, not more power necessarily (although it would be nice). In my Macan Turbo, fabspeed exhaust and K&N really transformed the car (stock cats), although the stock Macan mufflers/air intakes are crazy restrictive. The day I traded it in and I uninstalled these it drove like crap.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
slip on plus link pipes.pdf (17.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf
slip on.pdf (17.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Copperhead:
Are you aware that the GTS has ceramic Brakes stock?
Not true, its still 9 grand and you can get them on a base.
Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Not so sure that ANY of the base carrera models with equal engine HP would beat a GTS on the track or the street, but no question the engine displacement would still be 3.0
Very true, unless you have a Tuned manual T which basically has the GTS chassis minus PDCC. Except you can't do this with a T when you select PDK (no PTV+ and no electronic LSD). This is exactly why Porsche omits this specific combination on the T. It prevents the ability to basically get a GTS with a smiple tune. So the stock GTS with PDK (or S powerkit) keeps its spot in the hierarchy.

... and it depends who's driving. Definitely not me.. LOL

Last edited by Rennolazine; 08-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

By the time you add all of the options to get a base the same or similar options as the GTS, you would have spent as much or more than the cost of the GTS.
Its not just about HP, there are many things about the GTS that warrant the premium.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

The T has optional ceramics. If you chose to run them. A lot of people don’t. The cost versus performance is not there. Wider only by 1.5 inches. That’s .75 on each side from centerline of car. It was done by Porsche to fit all whell drive components. I doubt you can even quantify a with data a performance gain. As posted early T has rear steering.

I am am done with the thread high jack. This isBGB thread
I apologize to BGB FOR THE HIGH JACK.
Regardless of your choices enjoy your Porsche. I wish everyone the best.
Copperhead Out.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Copperhead37
The T has optional ceramics. If you chose to run them. A lot of people don’t. The cost versus performance is not there. Wider only by 1.5 inches. That’s .75 on each side from centerline of car. It was done by Porsche to fit all whell drive components. I doubt you can even quantify a with data a performance gain. As posted early T has rear steering.

I am am done with the thread high jack. This isBGB thread
I apologize to BGB FOR THE HIGH JACK.
Regardless of your choices enjoy your Porsche. I wish everyone the best.
Copperhead Out.
I appreciate the support but i did not start this thread so in case anyone else is curious, feel free to post your opinions. I am a Cobb dealer and Cobb asked me to post my dyno graph on here but you're not going to sour me posting your opinions on this or anything else on this thread. Obviously i am less stoked about folks promoting products from competing vendors on the other thread but have at it here!

P.S. We can't wait to help you further the edge of the envelope on the 911T. Wray told me you sent him an email. Thanks for the positive feedback on here and for the potential to work with you again my friend! You did not hijack anything buddy so rest assured, it's all good!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Just to clarify that Akrapovic gives 15hp only of you combine the Slip On exhaust with their sport cats.

In case you use OEM cats and slip on exhaust the gains are up to 3 hp.
More clarification.
I had the Akra "link pipe set" (sport cat) installed with the PSE exhaust. Did not get a lot of sound increase, compared with my AWE sport cats and NON-PSE exhaust. The AWE cats let a lot more sound thru and was a great upgrade. Akra cats are substantially made, feel slightly heavier than stock, and definitely weigh more than AWE's.

So I went thru Wheels Boutique for info on the Akra slip-on (muffler), and eventually ended up speaking with the Akra USA rep to clarify the confusing website HP numbers.

Akra's numbers are for muffler only (+19hp), or adding the optional sport cat to the muffler (+4hp for a total of 23hp for the system). They did not dyno/publish stand alone cat numbers. They are meant to be an optional add-on to the muffler.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

That’s cool. I just thought the conversation was getting out of hand and off topic. I truly didn’t intend to offend anyone. I guess I should have worded things differently. I was talking with the owner of drivers choice at a PCA event about all the work I had done to my cayman when he told me he is still running 18 inch tires and base level brakes because of the cost to replace them after each race versus the cost of upgraded brakes and larger tires in relation to BOP. So every since then I have been re-evaluating my thought process as to what actually gives the best bang for the buck. As you guys at BGB already know those things add up quickly when tracking a car on a regular basis. So I kinda took that thought process a step further with the decision as to which Porsche model to buy. What gives me the most bang for buck for what I want in a Porsche. In the end cars are like women we all like what like and will defend our decision to the bitter end. There all great.

I did email Wray hopefully we can help each other out. I have been going nuts torturing myself over doing a 4.0 L swap or moving up the model line. I made a couple huge mistakes that made my decision for me. 1 I rode in a GT3Rs at a pca track day. Ruined me for my cayman.( raw torque and HP) Then I saw and drove a T. I love the simple pure feel of that car.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fsmich
Akra's numbers are for muffler only (+19hp), or adding the optional sport cat to the muffler (+4hp for a total of 23hp for the system). They did not dyno/publish stand alone cat numbers. They are meant to be an optional add-on to the muffler.
So you are saying that Akrapovic muffler gives +19hp versus PSE? I would appreciate if you can provide your source because based on my investigation as PSE is already a high flow muffler in Sport+ mode the gains of Akra are magninal and not +19hp.

On the other hand high flow cats of Akra (200 cells) provide significant improvement versus the OEM cats (400 cells).

Perfonally as soon as I would like to increase my 911 HP the first tune with maximum HP/USD coefficient will be COBB tuning.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:30 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

AFAIK the only dyno vs stock for the akra slip on for PSE is on their website (post 173 above). Correct, it doesnt say which mode they used for each run and what kind of dyno was used. I am assuming the same mode for each set of runs because anything else would be fraudulent and I am giving a company of this caliber the benefit of the doubt. However (Porsche say no difference between PSE on or off). Akrapovic knows people will independently verify, as they are selling to bigtime gearheads.. At any rate, 19 hp isnt that much but its measurably different nonetheless. It should not be the main purpose for this mod IMO, but its probably safer to do the muffler than ECU crack and messing with the emissions systems (cats).
Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
So you are saying that Akrapovic muffler gives +19hp versus PSE? I would appreciate if you can provide your source because based on my investigation as PSE is already a high flow muffler in Sport+ mode the gains of Akra are magninal and not +19hp.

On the other hand high flow cats of Akra (200 cells) provide significant improvement versus the OEM cats (400 cells).

Perfonally as soon as I would like to increase my 911 HP the first tune with maximum HP/USD coefficient will be COBB tuning.
http://www.akrapovic.com/en

Quick Reply: 991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno