Sponsored by:

Girodisc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:33 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
That said, I am also probably being a bit lazy also: I have Tarett brake caliper studs and did not feel like swapping them out for longer studs that will allow the use of spacers. Time is really short these days so I thought it would just be easier to use Sebro OEM-size rear rotors for now.
I've been wondering if it's possible to use Tarett studs with the Girodisc setup on .1 GTS. I guess it would depend if Tarrett has the proper lengths that would work given the spacers and also if the calipers will reach over a stud setup given the constraints of the brake lines. I had the stud kit on the GT4 and it's just way better then the OEM bolts.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:45 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

I upgraded my rotors with GiroDisc almost 1 1/2 years ago. I also upgraded the front pads with GT3 pads. I didn’t like the dust the OEM pads put out so I elected to try the Carbotech pads. I must add there is minimal dust and great stopping power.
GT3 Front Cartotech Pads vs OEM Pads.

Greater Surface area on GT3 Pads
Which Carbotech pad compound did you go with Front and rear?
Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I'm waiting to hear how he likes the 2500s as well.
the DS2500 has been out for a while in other applications, but I have yet to see a review on them in this platform. I hate the noises Pagid produces on the street, great on track, looking for a good crossover pad.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Which Carbotech pad compound did you go with Front and rear?
I installed the Carbotech pads on the front & rear. I elected the Carbotech 1521 pads which are for street use only. I also pre-bedded the pads and rotors and to date i have no squeaking at all. I’m very happy with the results: very low brake dust, zero squeaking and great stopping performance. I also would like to add I replaced my OEM brake lines during my two year brake fluid flush. I used the steel braided lines and they look great and perform beyond my expectations. I have noticed a firmer Brake peddle vs the OEM lines.

Front Brake Line

Rear Brake Line

Techna Fit: Red Coated Steel Braided Brake Lines
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

I've been wondering if it's possible to use Tarett studs with the Girodisc setup on .1 GTS. I guess it would depend if Tarrett has the proper lengths that would work given the spacers and also if the calipers will reach over a stud setup given the constraints of the brake lines. I had the stud kit on the GT4 and it's just way better then the OEM bolts.
You do not need spacers for the 350mm Girodisc discs if you use model number A1-032. The difference between that model and the other model intended for a 991S is that the A1-032 has a smaller hat which means that they do not require spacers to push the caliper out to compensate. Tarett has proper length studs for brake calipers. I used the regular ones intended for a 991, not any extended length and, since I do not need caliper spacers for the A1-032 discs, the caliper goes back at the same position with the same studs. It is different for the rear which is why I just ended up purchasing Sebro slotted rotors for now. Completely agreed about studs rather than OEM bolts. I even use wheel studs instead of wheel bolts which I also purchased from Tarett. They get a bit of surface rust after a wash, but I don't care. It adds to the appeal for me since I love tracking the car.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Member @RonD mentioned this mod to me a while back and although I haven't pulled the trigger on this I'm planning on doing so soon. The setup using the A1-032 rotors allows you to use any GT3 pad not just OEM. As posted above they have a larger surface area which should facilitate better heat dissipation. I also used a caliper stud kit, similar to what Tarett sells, on my GT350. Radial mounts with studs is the way to go if you're tracking a car.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

BTW I've run Pagid RS29's on by Boss 302 and GT350 and didn't have any issue with brake squeal on the street. Neither car was a DD. I've also ran the pads down very thin and didn't notice any drop off in performance. I've run thru about 10 sets between the two cars.

Last edited by CarreraFahrer; 06-29-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

I use the Tarett studs on the fronts with the Gyrodisks AND the spacers. Once you install the studs the spacers are a non-issue. When you order the studs you request the length, all you need to do is measure one of your bolts and you can figure out the length (or if needed I can post up the length I am using - note this is with the spacers). Of importance are the sleeves, YOU WANT THE SLEEVES. The sleeves bring the 10mm diameter up to 12mm, which is what your OEM bolt is. It makes replacing the caliper a PITA but it does ensure a tight fit with no wiggle. I have a friend that went without the sleeves (actually he bought his studs before Tarett offered the sleeves) and over time he ended up with slightly bent studs.

I could not use studs on the rears because the brake lines didn't have enough slack to get the calipers around the stud. This was no big deal as the rear brake calipers line up well with the uprights, it was the fronts that have an odd funky alignment that was begging for a crossthread.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Member @RonD mentioned this mod to me a while back and although I haven't pulled the trigger on this I'm planning on doing so soon. The setup using the A1-032 rotors allows you to use any GT3 pad not just OEM. As posted above they have a larger surface area which should facilitate better heat dissipation. I also used a caliper stud kit, similar to what Tarett sells, on my GT350. Radial mounts with studs is the way to go if you're tracking a car.
Hey. I remember you pointing this out to me in another thread. I think it was the thread where I posted my GMG seat base, rollbar and Sabelt seat. Thanks for pointing it out. I kept this in the back of my mind for brake replacement. Thanks again
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
BTW I've run Pagid RS29's on by Boss 302 and GT350 and didn't have any issue with brake squeal on the street. Neither car was a DD. I've also ran the pads down very thin and didn't notice any drop off in performance. I've run thru about 10 sets between the two cars. I'm probably going to try the DS2500's because everyone likes them.
if I want to stick with the same pad on all 4 corners, pagids are my only option since they make a front pad for the GT3 and rear for the base Carrera. I have a base carrera and upgraded to the carrera S calipers up front ( which are supposedly the same as a GT3 without carbon ceramic)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:48 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm waiting to hear how he likes the 2500s as well.
Yep will let you guys know how it goes. It will probably be a bit though, the DS2500 pads are on the way but we're on vacation next week so will likely be week of July 9th before I get everything installed.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

the DS2500 has been out for a while in other applications, but I have yet to see a review on them in this platform. I hate the noises Pagid produces on the street, great on track, looking for a good crossover pad.
I used ds2500 on GiroDisc front and rear on ,y 2017 GTS...they work great on the street but didn’t last at the track....Sebring...they left build up on rear rotors and after a track day and couple morning sessions next day they were toast. They got mushy half way into a session too. Sebring is hard on brakes and I’m keeping up with most new gt3’s passing some with my gts so we are cooking right along. I next tried the Ferodo ds1.11 and they worked much better on track, squealed badly on the street but didn’t seem to last as long as Pagid rs29 yellows....
Old 06-29-2018, 03:06 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

I used ds2500 on GiroDisc front and rear on ,y 2017 GTS...they work great on the street but didn’t last at the track....Sebring...they left build up on rear rotors and after a track day and couple morning sessions next day they were toast. They got mushy half way into a session too. Sebring is hard on brakes and I’m keeping up with most new gt3’s passing some with my gts so we are cooking right along. I next tried the Ferodo ds1.11 and they worked much better on track, squealed badly on the street but didn’t seem to last as long as Pagid rs29 yellows....
looks like the only option is to get caliper studs and change them out when not tracking. Thanks for the review, I do appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

it’s a constant back and forth of compromise between what’s good for the track or street, isn’t it? I drive my car on the street, but, lately, with the rollbar, seat and harnesses, it has become an overweight track car that I sometimes use on the weekend. I say overweight because I refuse to gut it despite my best intentions. It’s a base 991.1 carrera and has plenty of everything for the track. The brakes and handling are incredible. I find myself keeping up if not driving better than corvettes, but looking for longetivity with the brakes is a challenge. Hoping girodiscs and bigger pads help. Will switch to a better race pad when I outbrake the new equipment.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:01 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

it’s a constant back and forth of compromise between what’s good for the track or street, isn’t it? I drive my car on the street, but, lately, with the rollbar, seat and harnesses, it has become an overweight track car that I sometimes use on the weekend. I say overweight because I refuse to gut it despite my best intentions. It’s a base 991.1 carrera and has plenty of everything for the track. The brakes and handling are incredible. I find myself keeping up if not driving better than corvettes, but looking for longetivity with the brakes is a challenge. Hoping girodiscs and bigger pads help. Will switch to a better race pad when I outbrake the new equipment.
After tracking a GT4 with PCCBs extensively for almost 2 years I guess I'm just spoiled. The GTS actually stops fine even with the stock setup it's just the damn mushy pedal that's messing with my head along with nearly 2mm of stock brake pad that's going bye-bye with every track day. But I'm not going down that road again either (rollbar/harness)

Giro's, tweener pads like the DS2500 or OEM GT3 and maybe brakelines (to help solidify the pedal?) would give me a little more confidence / make the occasional trackday more enjoyable and hopefully keep the pad noise livable on the street.

Quick Reply: Girodisc Rotors