Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help Loud sound rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 AM
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default help Loud sound rear suspension

Need help figuring out a problem. I hear a loud bang, right rear only, whenever I drive over a small pothole, sewer cover or crack in the road. I never have this problem on the left rear, same roads
Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Loose bolt; bad shock; bad bush. Usual cast of characters for cars, how many miles?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

i have under 23k miles
Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Blue shipping block still in the spring??
Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Stock suspension? Sport Suspension? PDCC?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and after quite a bit of searching and troubleshooting I tracked it down to a pebble that got wedged between the rear anti-roll bar and the subframe. Any time a torsional load was applied to the anti-roll bar, such as hitting a bump or taking a steep driveway at an angle, the roll bar would twist and grind the pebble into the subframe making a horribly graunching sound. I used a screwdriver to pop the pebble out and it was instantly better. Get under the car and carefully inspect that are and I betcha that's the culprit! You'll need a mirror to see the top side.

Best,
Patrick
Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I've had it happen on a couple of occasions after driving on a newly chip & seal and or gravel road. Sound disappeared within a day or two when the offending stone/gravel dropped off. Scared the &ell out of me the first time it happened.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
I've had it happen on a couple of occasions after driving on a newly chip & seal and or gravel road. Sound disappeared within a day or two when the offending stone/gravel dropped off. Scared the &ell out of me the first time it happened.
Same thing happened to me, though I wouldn't call it a 'bang'. I would say that, after I had driven on some gravel, I heard what I described as an intermittent 'clang'. Almost like the exhaust pipe was loose. I stopped to see if anything was hanging off the bottom of the car/engine. Couldn't find anything. Gradually, over the time of driving home, the stones fell out and the sound went away. At first I didn't think I was going to make it home. Here's my post from a month back.

"I went on a short jaunt / spirited drive on ...(relatively uneven) road... When leaving the area, I heard a ‘clang’ [actually, several] when I hit a bump/dip in the road. Kind of like a hard “bottoming out” on certain corners or bumps. I switched to the suspension between settings a few times... stopped to check under the back for anything obvious... and drove carefully towards home. After a few miles of hearing the occasional ‘clang’ (it sounded like something like the exhaust was loose, but knocking only on the larger bumps) the noise happened less frequently. 50 more miles, and no noise. Today I went out again, same types of roads and not one issue. I’ll be at a dealer in the next few weeks.. but, the issue seems to have resolved itself. Pretty odd."
Old 06-22-2018, 11:50 AM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9111177
Need help figuring out a problem. I hear a loud bang, right rear only, whenever I drive over a small pothole, sewer cover or crack in the road. I never have this problem on the left rear, same roads
Please let us know what you find. I have a similar sound (though I would call it a thunk) on the left side under similar circumstances. I took it to the dealer and, of course, they could not reproduce it during a test drive. Strangely, it seems to be somewhat temperature sensitive - occurs more frequently in hot weather.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:48 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had something similar happen on my 2015 GTS at 3K miles. Next morning I noticed a small amount of oil residue on the suspension behind the driver rear tire. Yep, blew a rear strut. Dealer fixed good as new in 2 days.

Quick Reply: help Loud sound rear suspension