Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   help Loud sound rear suspension (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076647-help-loud-sound-rear-suspension.html)

9111177 06-21-2018 12:32 AM

help Loud sound rear suspension

Need help figuring out a problem. I hear a loud bang, right rear only, whenever I drive over a small pothole, sewer cover or crack in the road. I never have this problem on the left rear, same roads

_RS_ 06-21-2018 01:19 AM

Loose bolt; bad shock; bad bush. Usual cast of characters for cars, how many miles?

9111177 06-21-2018 02:26 AM

i have under 23k miles

LexVan 06-21-2018 06:38 AM

Blue shipping block still in the spring??

CSK 911 C4S 06-21-2018 10:37 AM

Stock suspension? Sport Suspension? PDCC?

PMNewton 06-21-2018 12:32 PM

I had the same problem and after quite a bit of searching and troubleshooting I tracked it down to a pebble that got wedged between the rear anti-roll bar and the subframe. Any time a torsional load was applied to the anti-roll bar, such as hitting a bump or taking a steep driveway at an angle, the roll bar would twist and grind the pebble into the subframe making a horribly graunching sound. I used a screwdriver to pop the pebble out and it was instantly better. Get under the car and carefully inspect that are and I betcha that's the culprit! You'll need a mirror to see the top side.

Best,
Patrick

DBH 06-21-2018 08:48 PM

I've had it happen on a couple of occasions after driving on a newly chip & seal and or gravel road. Sound disappeared within a day or two when the offending stone/gravel dropped off. Scared the &ell out of me the first time it happened.

BlackOptic 06-22-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by DBH (Post 15094944)
I've had it happen on a couple of occasions after driving on a newly chip & seal and or gravel road. Sound disappeared within a day or two when the offending stone/gravel dropped off. Scared the &ell out of me the first time it happened.

Same thing happened to me, though I wouldn't call it a 'bang'. I would say that, after I had driven on some gravel, I heard what I described as an intermittent 'clang'. Almost like the exhaust pipe was loose. I stopped to see if anything was hanging off the bottom of the car/engine. Couldn't find anything. Gradually, over the time of driving home, the stones fell out and the sound went away. At first I didn't think I was going to make it home. Here's my post from a month back.

"I went on a short jaunt / spirited drive on ...(relatively uneven) road... When leaving the area, I heard a ‘clang’ [actually, several] when I hit a bump/dip in the road. Kind of like a hard “bottoming out” on certain corners or bumps. I switched to the suspension between settings a few times... stopped to check under the back for anything obvious... and drove carefully towards home. After a few miles of hearing the occasional ‘clang’ (it sounded like something like the exhaust was loose, but knocking only on the larger bumps) the noise happened less frequently. 50 more miles, and no noise. Today I went out again, same types of roads and not one issue. I’ll be at a dealer in the next few weeks.. but, the issue seems to have resolved itself. Pretty odd."

RCD 06-22-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 9111177 (Post 15093006)
Need help figuring out a problem. I hear a loud bang, right rear only, whenever I drive over a small pothole, sewer cover or crack in the road. I never have this problem on the left rear, same roads

Please let us know what you find. I have a similar sound (though I would call it a thunk) on the left side under similar circumstances. I took it to the dealer and, of course, they could not reproduce it during a test drive. Strangely, it seems to be somewhat temperature sensitive - occurs more frequently in hot weather.

MHarris 06-23-2018 07:48 PM

Had something similar happen on my 2015 GTS at 3K miles. Next morning I noticed a small amount of oil residue on the suspension behind the driver rear tire. Yep, blew a rear strut. Dealer fixed good as new in 2 days.