Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Now that I think about it, if you’re only worried about lap times, just disconnect one of the GT3’s spark plugs.

There you have it, the scientifically cheapest, easiest, and simplest way to match a GTS and GT3. You’re welcome.

I’m officially the most helpful person on the forum.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

A trade in of GTS for the GT3 plus some $$
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If we are talking drivers of the same skill level, it will depend on the skill level.

If both drivers are equally “un-skilled” drivers then I think a GTS times will be comparable or maybe even surpass (ie, lower) those of the GT3 because the GTS is an easier car to drive around a track for a beginner.

If, however, both drivers are adabced or intermediate group drivers, then I think the GT3 will be a much more obvious winner because a skilled driver can better and more easily exploit the chassis setup and the more aggressive suspension of the GT3.
I think this is an accurate assessment
Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The GTS is faster on the street 9 times out of 10. It will also respond better to simple mods. The GT3 lives and dies on a circuit.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nino
The GTS is faster on the street 9 times out of 10. It will also respond better to simple mods. The GT3 lives and dies on a circuit.
Good point... after all Porsche is building both cars at the same time so if one were better at everything, they wouldn’t have to waste money developing both.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,015 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Gotta stop turning every mod thread into a "become a better driver first" message - it's getting very repetitive.
Why? the OP wanted know how to beat his buddy. The easiest way to do this is by becoming a better driver and the easiest way to become a better driver is through high performance driver training. Driver training is a "modification" as it modifies a drivers behaviours and timing. This makes you both safer and faster and is transferable.

This is the answer you will always get from people that know what they are talking about and this is the answer you will get from every track instructor worth his salt.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:12 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by groundhog
Why? the OP wanted know how to beat his buddy. The easiest way to do this is by becoming a better driver and the easiest way to become a better driver is through high performance driver training. Driver training is a "modification" as it modifies a drivers behaviours and timing. This makes you both safer and faster and is transferable.

This is the answer you will always get from people that know what they are talking about and this is the answer you will get from every track instructor worth his salt.
You're mistaken and reading what you want to hear.

OP wanted to know which mods he can perform on his GTS to make it faster than his buddies GT3 at both of their current driving skills.

Read it again.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

You're mistaken and reading what you want to hear.

OP wanted to know which mods he can perform on his GTS to make it faster than his buddies GT3 at both of their current driving skills.

Read it again.
Faster straight line, faster top speed?

They are very close in bot categories.

Add a tune to the GTS, and there is a good chance it will be faster in a straight line and very close top speed.

Nothing he does will make it red line at 9000.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Hmm the problem with that argument is that since we don’t know what their current skill levels are, it is quite possible that literally nothing in the world would do that if his driving skills at the weak link.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:02 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by good2go
Faster straight line, faster top speed?

They are very close in bot categories.

Add a tune to the GTS, and there is a good chance it will be faster in a straight line and very close top speed.

Nothing he does will make it red line at 9000.
What does this have to do with anything? It's like telling a GT3 owner there's nothing he can do to be twin turbo boosting at 19PSI.

A GTS with a tune would wax any GT3 in any type of straight line pull, especially at top speed. There are tuners out there working and finding more power beyond the GTS redline. Obviously since it's in its infant stages they don't know whether or not it's going to last. Revving to 9k may result in a spun bearing.. Then again.. 9000rpms has nothing to do with this debate.

Here's the recipe.

-Upgraded brakes if you don't have PCCB.
-Same tire spec as GT3
-Mild tune(probably not even necessary)
-Aero
-Upgraded control arms to dial in a proper suspension setup. You can most likely slap on GT3 suspension bits to keep it OEM.
Name:  POJsIAJ.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  188.4 KB

Please inform me of any secret sauce the GT3 has that I'm unaware of.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Um... it’s not that complicated. I pointed out just add a tune.

But the biggest difference is the GT3 is NA that redlines at 9000 rpm. Nothing you do to a GTS will make it drive like a GT3.

increase the redline on TT? Why do you think the redline is where it’s at? I don’t need a tune to exceed the redline, but I can destroy my engine.

i will state again... the biggest difference is a NA engine that performs different then a smaller TT. And I’m not talking about the sound.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:33 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

The OP is not trying to make his car drive like a GT3. He wants to BEAT a GT3 on a track. There's a difference.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The instructors I've had somewhat differed in their opinion. One instructor was adamant there was no point modifying my car in any way (my car was fully stock back then) and I should continue enjoying it as is. Quite a few insisted I should be getting seats & harnesses. Another one suggested RComp tires back when I was running street tires; and quite a few commented on how well set up the car is, specifically brakes and suspension. In my PCA region your instructor drives your car the first two laps, so they do get a sense of how the car drives. Anyways, some differing opinions, and different styles for sure, but I'm fairly convinced they were each "worth their salt".

I'm not saying don't put the seat time in or don't invest in your driving skills - I'm just saying let people be in modification threads - the OP might never attend a single track day, but might still have fun with his car, "passing" his friend's GT3 in some context or another.

I find this whole "be a better driver first" thing a bit too much that's all, not denying there's a lot of truth to it but, it's being repeated by everyone like a broken record, 90% of these people don't even know how to drive themselves - just not adding value to these threads in any way IMHO.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:23 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Please inform me of any secret sauce the GT3 has that I'm unaware of.
Well for one thing it has a true dry sump with a separate pressurized oil reservoir so extended track use won't begin to wear out your internals with the integrated solution at the high-g loads that those stickier tires are capable of.

The GTS won't have problems running a few track days here and there, but it's just not designed for regular track use.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,897 Likes on 4,821 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Well for one thing it has a true dry sump with a separate pressurized oil reservoir so extended track use won't begin to wear out your internals with the integrated solution at the high-g loads that those stickier tires are capable of.
... and the PDK-S

Quick Reply: What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3