Sponsored by:

What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts
Default What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3

Ok, first off keep it civil. This is meant to be a fun exercise and a learning thing. Plenty of times journ's have said that the base model is all anyone would need. What this tells me is, that all 911's are created some what equal.
With this premise in mind, it shouldn't be that difficult to create something interesting. This is not about they are two completely different cars. I do not drink the marketing coolaid. They are both 911's and they have far more in common than difference.

Secondly My good friend has a 991.2 GT3 and it is on like donkey kong, in the most gentlemanly way possible. We enjoy ribbing each other. I have told him I will cheat like a MF, and he accepts that, but still remains quietly confident.

This was sparked by an article. Now I don't want this thread to be about the article. It is about what the GTS needs to over come a GT3. Without spoiling the car.
The article stated that a stock 991.GTS Did the ring in 7.26 (other articles have said (7.24). It then said that the 991 GT3-RS did it in 7.20 Flat. They then put the optional Perrelli CORSA tyres on the GTS and it did the identical 7.20 as the 991 GT3-RS. JUST TYRES. And Corsa are far from a Cup 2 tyre.

With all of the AERO and track tuned scalpel noise of the GT3-RS, and how it will destroy everything on the TRACK, a TRACK GOD, all it took for the 991.2 GTS to match it was tyres. Let that sink in for a moment. No Aero, no adjustable suspension, just tyres.

Of course that is how good the Point 2 generation is.

My personal belief is that Cup 2 are a far better tyre than Corsa, So I have gone straight to Cup 2. Identical to 991.2 GT3. And that is car we want to take down.
My car has 12 inch rims standard on the rear Just like the GT3. A lot miss this fact. A GTS is wide body like the GT3. Mine is also RWD.

The power curve overlay of a GTS over a GT3, suggests a few things. One the GTS has been held back to sit in the slot just below it, but the power curve suggest the GTS is a faster car, all the way up the curve until the end when the Gt3 finally catches up and just pokes in front. The race is over by then. : )

The GT3 has factory headers where the GTS has been held back again, by the old LOG style manifold.
The GTS has adjustable camber in the rear, and larger brakes.

OK So here is the fun part.

1. MPSC2 to equal tyres
2. Headers (Vektor for me)
3. AKRA Cats
4. COBB Tune
5. Elephant racing ;- Adjustable rear wishbone. Camber plates on front. And adjustable caster. Some spherical bearings for more feel. (Loads more you can do from Elephant)
6. Braided brake lines, Castrol SRF fluid, and perhaps sports pads.

Good bye GT3. In a perfect streetable, comfortable sleeper car.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is gonna **** off a lot of people (Non GTS owners, and GT3 owners) but it's ok because those people have insecurities. They're always going to have a problem with something anyway.

I believe all that you need is some GT3 suspension bits, a very mild tune and some better tires. That should set you up nicely.. Maybe throw in a larger wing (techart II) for better aero/high speed cornering.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nino
This is gonna **** off a lot of people (Non GTS owners, and GT3 owners) but it's ok because those people have insecurities. They're always going to have a problem with something anyway.

I believe all that you need is some GT3 suspension bits, a very mild tune and some better tires. That should set you up nicely.. Maybe throw in a larger wing (techart II) for better aero/high speed cornering.
Unfortunately it will **** a lot of people off, but that is not my intention. I love to Mod cars. I know turbo has huge potential in the modding game. So before anyone says the standard, "Why don't you just enjoy your car the way it is?"
I do enjoy my car. I love it. I love personalising it. I like to race a lot of different brands, and if you just have an N/A you are going to loose.

All the Non GTS guys have to do is put 12 inch rims on the rear and they can play to. They won't have wide body (unless 4), and they may need a few more parts. But they still have a 911. It is my belief that all 911's were almost equal at the factory. The factory bolted on a few mods on some. I can do the same with even better mods.

OH I forgot I have done the IPD plenum as well. No one can tell me that the stock T piece flows better than the IPD Y. Air crashing into a brickwall does not flow well. So I don't drink the cool aid of the Porsche engineers built it better than everyone. The car over all, YES. But not individual parts. Log style manifold, are you kidding me? A direct attempt to hold back the power of the car.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What are you talking about? If its what does it take for you in your 911 to beat your good friend, the answer is: a driver. At the level of those two cars if all you care about is lap times then its the driver.

But despite what you think they ARE two very different cars. Because lap time is only one small part of the equation. You can blow them both away in a Turbo S but that too is a completely different car.

You sure are right about tires though. Still two completely different cars, but mount some Hoosiers and any track or twisty road your friend won't stand a chance. Assuming you do know how to drive. Long odds. Benefit of the doubt.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Hi Chuck, we are not serious, just having fun. We don't care about lap times. We are all rounders. We have country runs, where there are no people around and a group of enthusiasts drive the twisties, away from the rest of the world.

And we do different tracks, and we will even do a quarter mile. We will do it all. I even take my wife out to dinner in it. It does it all, thats the point. I can buy a much cheaper and faster car to set a lap time. No really about that at all.
Whilst the article may have been about lap time, it just got me thinking that with a few mods, I could have the best of all worlds. Thats all. No need for anyone to be upset.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Actually its interesting you brought up driver. Just for a fun exercise, when I am finsihed, we will get a professional to do a fast lap in each car, just to see, and just for fun. No one really cares about the restult.

If the mighty GT3 cannot be beaten because it has a flaux capicitor, then OK. But can't I fit mine with one as well, or even the new flaux capacitor plus?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I hope the 991 GT3 guys don't catch wind of this thread. I see our resident 991 expert (both 911 and GT variants) has already chimed in.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:57 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Let me add some clarity, this is my daily driver. It is not a race car. I don't intend on changing the springs and shocks. Of course I could put race suspension on it and destroy the ride just for a lap time. No thanks. I have done that with previous cars and they are horrible on the street. Just tightening up a few wiggles, is enough.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

OP just sell your car and get a 570.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Your GTS with the mods you mentioned will have more HP and torque than a stock GT3. There is no question about that.
As far as handling, suspension and driver skill, thats another matter.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 PM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the simple answer to your question is: A Driver! Just spent the weekend at Porsche Experience Atlanta for the 70 year celebration and actually signed in to drive the Targa GTS which I owe. Even though is just a short circuit and I thought I was driving good, it was pathetic compared to the ride I took with an instructor driving a Carrera S. It clarify any regrets I had about not getting a GT3. I will never reach the upper limit of these vehicles and decided to leave my Targa GTS stock. I think it does the job intended and the traga advantage and extra seats for the kids completes the deal.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:29 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My understanding is that the purpose of the GT3 is less timing on a single lap and more reliably running fast laps over and over in demanding conditions, and so in that regard the other 911s will never match it no matter what you do to them.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:38 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
OP just sell your car and get a 570.
I like this!

There are so many little things that are different on a GT3, for which I'm no expert, but more power will certainly get you closer in straight line acceleration. Don't forget the GT3 has different gearing and the PDK (if both cars have them) is also programmed differently. I've driven a 991.1 GT3 RS and that car is a scalpel!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

As a .2 GTS owner that tracks with GT3’s....the GTS needs:
Bigger brakes
remove rubber suspension bushings
height adjustable coilovers
tuneable sway bars
weight reduction
MPSC2 tires
GT3 aero

GTs Power is better out of the corner but the GT3 50 or so more hp shows up towards the end of the long straight
GT3 stock vs GTS stock but on MPSC2 tires still out corners a GTS

Even with the mods mentioned a GTS will never be like a GT3...so many other different things with in PDK gearing, programming and traction control programming and brake bias....just get a GT3
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

LLike for like 991.2, PDK, PCCB, sport plus seats (no LWB in the GT3), no sunroof on GTS, sport design on the GTS, lightest weight spec on both, in addition to cup2 on the GTS, I’d ditch the rear seats on the GTS, and I think a tune would almost certainly put the GTS as the faster car, especially on a short track. Now whether the tuned GTS could run flat out for extended periods of time I don’t know.

Quick Reply: What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3