I don't like the plastic oil pan on my GTS
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (10-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
Can you elaborate on these "proper warm up techniques"?

Thanks.
Several years ago when I learned about the marvel that is Jake Raby his posts were so insightful, but buried in with everyone else's, uh, comments, that I used the RL function to find and read every post by Jake Raby. With all due deference to the OP, I think a more accurate reading of Raby is that the bore scoring he's talking about happens in cold weather so soon after startup that warm-up is irrelevant. Warm-up being driving the first several minutes, or longer. Bore scoring being wear that happens in the first few SECONDS, before the car is even driven. Hence, how you drive or warm the car up is, as far as this particular failure mode goes, irrelevant. The damage is either done, or not done, before you can even get out of the driveway.

Go ahead, read through his posts. There's one where he talks about testing a car with scores (hundreds?) of rapid restarts in zero degree weather with fans blowing, starting and shutting it down after just a few seconds, over and over again. He's not testing warm-up. He's testing start-up. Because that's when the damage happens.

Spend even a little time learning about Jake, you will quickly come to understand the man is a perfectionist with an incredibly idealized vision of how things should be. Porsche is perfectly happy with a failure rate of some small percentage. Most everyone else is excited to buy a car with an engine a little more solid than average. Jake is barely comfortable with a rate of zero. Well, unlike Porsche, et al, the failures come out of his pocket. His personal pocket. The man is so behind his work he even stood behind one that was way, way, WAY out of warranty and sold on BAT with problems posted on BAT and he STILL built the guy who bought it a new one for virtually nothing.

In other words, by any normal real world standard this engine is a rock solid pinnacle of high-performance engine production. To Jake its just another imperfect baseline.
The following users liked this post:
Greg D. (08-23-2021)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Warm-up being driving the first several minutes, or longer. Bore scoring being wear that happens in the first few SECONDS, before the car is even driven. Hence, how you drive or warm the car up is, as far as this particular failure mode goes, irrelevant. The damage is either done, or not done, before you can even get out of the driveway.
Thanks for the reply, Chuck- yes, I have read a lot of Jake's posts, and agree with your perspective of his unwavering standards of perfection. Also agree that the 9A1 by many measures is a bullet-proof platform by and large! On the warm-up procedure thing, though, I think there are various schools of thought on the impact on bore score or maybe it's only the d chunking phenomenon that occurs in those rare cases. The below is an excerpt from the thread I posted further up that was started by Baz, (as you likely know, the UK version of Jake)- that offered his read on the factors impacting owners who want to avoid catastrophic engine failure due to the shape change over time that occurs to cylinders in cars that aren't allowed to reach stable temperature between piston and cylinder before being driven hard. Doesn't sound like a cold-start-and-damage-is-done (only) issue:

...Each time we were involved in this failure mode it had been driven on a cold day without lengthy warm up times before fast driving.

I would say you need to get the oil temperature up to normal running temperature and then drive for another 10 to 20 minutes, gradually increasing throttle opening before giving the car full aggressive throttle.
Again, I agree with you that this issue with 9A1 is of rare occurrence- and the 9A1 is a winner by most standards of quality and durability. I'm just looking for clues that the 9A2 was perhaps further improved in this area.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

In other words, by any normal real world standard this engine is a rock solid pinnacle of high-performance engine production. To Jake its just another imperfect baseline.
So in other words this engine is rock solid unless you live in Canada.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Several years ago when I learned about the marvel that is Jake Raby his posts were so insightful, but buried in with everyone else's, uh, comments, that I used the RL function to find and read every post by Jake Raby. With all due deference to the OP, I think a more accurate reading of Raby is that the bore scoring he's talking about happens in cold weather so soon after startup that warm-up is irrelevant. Warm-up being driving the first several minutes, or longer. Bore scoring being wear that happens in the first few SECONDS, before the car is even driven. Hence, how you drive or warm the car up is, as far as this particular failure mode goes, irrelevant. The damage is either done, or not done, before you can even get out of the driveway.

Go ahead, read through his posts. There's one where he talks about testing a car with scores (hundreds?) of rapid restarts in zero degree weather with fans blowing, starting and shutting it down after just a few seconds, over and over again. He's not testing warm-up. He's testing start-up. Because that's when the damage happens.

Spend even a little time learning about Jake, you will quickly come to understand the man is a perfectionist with an incredibly idealized vision of how things should be. Porsche is perfectly happy with a failure rate of some small percentage. Most everyone else is excited to buy a car with an engine a little more solid than average. Jake is barely comfortable with a rate of zero. Well, unlike Porsche, et al, the failures come out of his pocket. His personal pocket. The man is so behind his work he even stood behind one that was way, way, WAY out of warranty and sold on BAT with problems posted on BAT and he STILL built the guy who bought it a new one for virtually nothing.

I tracked a 99 996 (big mistake) for a couple years and read probably every word Jake Raby posted on Rennlist. I would say the above is a pretty accurate summation of where the man is coming from. As much as my experience with the 9A1 motors in 3 different cars since then tells me they are bulletproof I still send my oil to Blackstone, a permanent paranoia leftover from those days!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:37 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just wild speculation here, but maybe Jake is concerned about the stop start function and bore scoring Or some other lubrication failure
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I have 39k miles on my 9A1 and 11k on my 9A2.

No issues with either one of them....and I hammer the crap out of 'em and didn't follow the break-in process.
I always thought the break-in process is a bit of a joke. I properly warm up my T, which to be exact = 194 - 200F oil temperature at least, do not exceed 3k, maybe 3.5k RPM and do not switch on Sport or Sport+ (because it prevents quick and proper warm-up when cold) until after warm-up....then proceed to enjoy the car as intended while avoiding redline for the first few hundred miles. I still haven't touched redline on my T but to be honest haven't felt the need to as that's not really the "fun part" of the 9A2 engine. I have zero worry that the engine will have any issues.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

I have 39k miles on my 9A1 and 11k on my 9A2.

No issues with either one of them....and I hammer the crap out of 'em and didn't follow the break-in process.
If you're trying to greatly diminish the resale value of your cars, by making these proclamations, you're on the right path!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:06 AM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
If you're trying to greatly diminish the resale value of your cars, by making these proclamations, you're on the right path!!!
I somehow doubt this is going to affect his resale value at all lol
Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
I always thought the break-in process is a bit of a joke. I properly warm up my T, which to be exact = 194 - 200F oil temperature at least, do not exceed 3k, maybe 3.5k RPM and do not switch on Sport or Sport+ (because it prevents quick and proper warm-up when cold) until after warm-up....then proceed to enjoy the car as intended while avoiding redline for the first few hundred miles. I still haven't touched redline on my T but to be honest haven't felt the need to as that's not really the "fun part" of the 9A2 engine. I have zero worry that the engine will have any issues.

I thought the properly warmed up oil temp was 180 degrees?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Just wild speculation here, but maybe Jake is concerned about the stop start function and bore scoring Or some other lubrication failure
You might be on to something, with *** enabled, if you’re waiting at a stoplight or something and start off just as the engine starts, you could probably be well above idle with oil pressure way below what it’d be when you start up and go normally.

I don’t do *** ever.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by 13mit
I somehow doubt this is going to affect his resale value at all lol
Don't mind him, he drives a PDK...
Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Ha ha! I have never once thought about selling it. Such a strange concept that I don't even know how to answer it.

Originally Posted by tse
Don't mind him, he drives a PDK...
Nah.....both are manuals.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Nah.....both are manuals.
I know, I was referring to Bemo's ride...
Old 06-17-2018, 12:46 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
I know, I was referring to Bemo's ride...
Got it. LOL.

Quick Reply: 9A2 Achille’s heel inquiry