Sponsored by:

991.2 X51 Powerkit On Sale Again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The 991.1 PowerKit includes a new brain (DME).
The 991.2 PowerKit requires the DME to be programmed by Porsche.

Not uncommon that the installing dealership requires you to also buy their parts. Ask them to price match the Suncoast pricing.
I see, that's too bad. Unfortunately I'm not in the US and our sole dealer charges over 2x what Suncoast is offering.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
Unfortunately I'm not in the US
FYI. Edit your user profile and add your location under your avatar.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

For anyone considering x51 on a base .2 its much cheaper to flash the ecu and smaller turbos will spool faster. Both will void warranty anyway. Only reason to get the x51 imo is if youre gonna tune on top of that, but i would argue thats not the best move on stock internals. I remember reading the s and gts have different pistons despite the same displacement
Old 06-09-2018, 09:13 PM
rodney2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nino
correct, but why?

makes no sense.
Porsche is the boss and they say no power kit on the current base models. The power kit requires tuning on the computer by Porsche after installation no matter who installs the kit. In other words your independent shop would have to take it to a Porsche dealer for tuning post install. Porsche is only able to tune S or 4S, so it's not happing on the base. The S or 4S getting the kit must have sport chrono and sport exhaust already or it must be installed at the time the X51 kit is installed.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Kirei911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Porsche has once again lowered the price on the 991.2 X51 Powerkit, which we all have discussed, is back by a factory warranty. Add genuine power to your 991.2 Carrera S and have the peace of mind of a PCNA parts warranty.

Genuine Porsche engine upgrade kit. Performance increase to 450 hp (331 kW). Includes two larger turbochargers, modified brake cooling (if vehicle is not equipped), optimized engine management, new engine compartment styling trim cover with Carbon inserts, and optional Sport Exhaust System (if not equipped)

991.2 X51 Carrera S Power Kit - SALE!!

Any Discount for the 991.1 X51?
Old 06-09-2018, 11:17 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by rodney2
Porsche is the boss and they say no power kit on the current base models. The power kit requires tuning on the computer by Porsche after installation no matter who installs the kit. In other words your independent shop would have to take it to a Porsche dealer for tuning post install. Porsche is only able to tune S or 4S, so it's not happing on the base. The S or 4S getting the kit must have sport chrono and sport exhaust already or it must be installed at the time the X51 kit is installed.
That is exactly what I thought too which is why I questioned Suncoast's response (see post 16). I don't blame Porsche either.....you could get 450hp from a base with only 5700 in parts plus labor. An S + powerkit kit is about 24k more so they are not going to let that profit slip through their fingers.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Curious you sunvoast is in Tampa what would your dealership charge for the install.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 165 Likes on 87 Posts

Being an authorized dealer we always go by what Porsche says. If they say no base car we say no base car. I believe you'd be hard pressed to find any dealer in the country willing to install this on a .2 base car. The main benefit of this kit is that they are all Genuine Porsche parts and you retain a warranty. When a new replacement engine around $40,000 I doubt a dealer is going to take a chance putting this kit on anything other than what Porsche approves.

As for installation time, dealers can change whatever they want, but the install guides show between 7-11 hours depending on if you have PSE, PCCB, rear axle steering, etc
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 06-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Being an authorized dealer we always go by what Porsche says. If they say no base car we say no base car. I believe you'd be hard pressed to find any dealer in the country willing to install this on a .2 base car. The main benefit of this kit is that they are all Genuine Porsche parts and you retain a warranty. When a new replacement engine around $40,000 I doubt a dealer is going to take a chance putting this kit on anything other than what Porsche approves.

As for installation time, dealers can change whatever they want, but the install guides show between 7-11 hours depending on if you have PSE, PCCB, rear axle steering, etc
A 4S has 420 HP so this would increase the HP to 450HP can we say its worth the difference. Will you feel it? IS the engine sound more pronounced, I have SC and PSE already installed on my 4S cabrio
Old 06-11-2018, 01:33 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 165 Likes on 87 Posts

Everyone we have spoken to has said it's a noticeable difference and worth the entry price. If you get the chance swing by a dealer and see if you can take a GTS for a quick spin for a comparison

Originally Posted by Joenyc
A 4S has 420 HP so this would increase the HP to 450HP can we say its worth the difference. Will you feel it? IS the engine sound more pronounced, I have SC and PSE already installed on my 4S cabrio
Old 07-11-2018, 11:42 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

OK folks, I'm just a lowly Porsche owner since 1970. And an lowly engineer. And i have read extensively about this topic. I just bought a 991.2 C2S with PSE and SC. I will be adding the aftermarket X51 Power Kit option on my 991.2 C2S at a Porsche dealer, for full factory warranty coverage. And if you know anything about Porsche's warranty coverage history, you know they often cover engine design/production problems well beyond the original warranty, for original buyers of those Porsches.

This X51 Power Kit includes bigger and more exotic low - inertia GTS turbos, special rear brake ducts, PCV valves, fancy carbon-fiber cover over the engine engine lid with "X51 Power Kit" script, and a software revision for the PCM. Yes, the Hp increases only 30 Hp or 7%. But most people will not feel that at speeds under 120 mph. What they will feel different is the 10% increase in torque from 368 to 405 ft-lbs, from 2150 through 5000 rpm. This is HUGE in drive-abilty on the street. Compare it to the more peaky 991.1 GT3 torque of 339 ft-lbs and the 991.2 GT3 torque of 346 ft-lbs. The flat 405 ft-lb torque curve of the X51 3.0 TT is HUGE!

405 ft-lbs of flat-curve torque plus an extra 10% with the SC boost button, for 20 seconds! And you can press that boost button as often as you like! That is HUGE, except on long straights like at LeMans and the Nordschleife, where higher Hp machines like modern GT3s will excel. A And of course the GT3's have the aero kits and lighter weight for quicker handling. But back to this topic...

This is why the "lowly" 991.2 S has been timed at 3.1 sec 0-60, right there even with the recent GT3s, and 11.4 sec in the 1/4 mile, even without the X51.
As you can imagine, thd extra 7% Hp and 10% torque of the X51 Power Kit is nothing faster. And don't forget that SC boost button on the steering wheel for an extra 10% extra boost for 20 seconds. Press it early and often, if you like. With the X51 Power Kit, just imagine those 0-60 times less than 3.1 seconds, and 1/4 mile times better than 11.4 seconds on OEM tires...

Got it?? 😀
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
OK folks, I'm just a lowly Porsche owner since 1970. And an lowly engineer. And i have read extensively about this topic. I just bought a 991.2 C2S with PSE and SC. I will be adding the aftermarket X51 Power Kit option on my 991.2 C2S at a Porsche dealer, for full factory warranty coverage. And if you know anything about Porsche's warranty coverage history, you know they often cover engine design/production problems well beyond the original warranty, for original buyers of those Porsches.

This X51 Power Kit includes bigger and more exotic low - inertia GTS turbos, special rear brake ducts, PCV valves, fancy carbon-fiber cover over the engine engine lid with "X51 Power Kit" script, and a software revision for the PCM. Yes, the Hp increases only 30 Hp or 7%. But most people will not feel that at speeds under 120 mph. What they will feel different is the 10% increase in torque from 368 to 405 ft-lbs, from 2150 through 5000 rpm. This is HUGE in drive-abilty on the street. Compare it to the more peaky 991.1 GT3 torque of 339 ft-lbs and the 991.2 GT3 torque of 346 ft-lbs. The flat 405 ft-lb torque curve of the X51 3.0 TT is HUGE!

405 ft-lbs of flat-curve torque plus an extra 10% with the SC boost button, for 20 seconds! And you can press that boost button as often as you like! That is HUGE, except on long straights like at LeMans and the Nordschleife, where higher Hp machines like modern GT3s will excel. A And of course the GT3's have the aero kits and lighter weight for quicker handling. But back to this topic...

This is why the "lowly" 991.2 S has been timed at 3.1 sec 0-60, right there even with the recent GT3s, and 11.4 sec in the 1/4 mile, even without the X51.
As you can imagine, thd extra 7% Hp and 10% torque of the X51 Power Kit is nothing faster. And don't forget that SC boost button on the steering wheel for an extra 10% extra boost for 20 seconds. Press it early and often, if you like. With the X51 Power Kit, just imagine those 0-60 times less than 3.1 seconds, and 1/4 mile times better than 11.4 seconds on OEM tires...

Got it?? 😀
Thanks for the write up. Great analysis . I was thinking about it as I have a 991.2 C4S with PSE and SC.. How much was the install cost? Will it be desirable when the car is sold in the future? Will it affect the sound of the sport plus baffle noise? Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
Thanks for the write up. Great analysis . I was thinking about it as I have a 991.2 C4S with PSE and SC.. How much was the install cost? Will it be desirable when the car is sold in the future? Will it affect the sound of the sport plus baffle noise? Thoughts?
what is SC?

i ordered a new C4S and configured with PowerKit. I considered removing from my order and adding as soon as new car arrives. Because if labor I don’t know the final cost. And seemed foolish to take apart a new car. As of now it’s still on my order (locks on 8/3).
Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go

what is SC?

i ordered a new C4S and configured with PowerKit. I considered removing from my order and adding as soon as new car arrives. Because if labor I don’t know the final cost. And seemed foolish to take apart a new car. As of now it’s still on my order (locks on 8/3).

SC = sports chrono
if you spec powerkit, it comes with PSE and SC. It probably makes most sense economically to spec powerkit if you want the X51 upgrade because you “theoretically” are not paying much for labor.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

I have two verbal quotes from Porsche dealer service shop managers in different parts of the country. One quoted $2000 and the other $1850.

Quick Reply: 991.2 X51 Powerkit On Sale Again!