Old 06-04-2018, 10:24 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Cool, nice work!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by aduong
That was a very professional looking Job. It seems you have some stitching background. How did you get the holes laid out to stitch? Did people at Tandy show how to do this and provide all supplies and hole punch?
I like doing leather projects and have most of the required tools. Most complicated project I've done was a modular briefcase for my mac. The hole puncher actually looks like a flat fork. I have those with one, two, four and six teeth. Just put the fork on the leather along the line and tap with a hammer. You can see on picture #4 with the tan leather some of the holes punched thru as I used that leather as backing, so the fork does not hit a solid surface below and kills the sharp edge. Tandy has all the tools you can imagine and then some, and they are very good at explaining how to use each one of them, and even suggest what you need.

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
Looks great Alex, nice job!

Dummy key project? Do tell! What's this all about?
Thanks! I think @Porsche_nuts confused me with someone else on this one... I don't have a dummy key.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Well, as I mentioned before, the corner door panels did not come out perfect, so I decided to peel the leather off, and start all over again.

After a couple of hours, I am VERY happy with how the new parts came out!

Here it is before installing:

Name:  photo55.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  1.91 MB

And here they are installed:

Name:  photo944.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  193.0 KB

Name:  photo30.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  162.6 KB
Old 06-08-2018, 02:35 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

much better! nice job!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:57 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job. Every time I watch one of those shows on how sports cars/super cars are made it boggles my mind how those poor woman at Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. are able to produce such amazing work. They definitely have skills.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:51 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

This time I actually measured the exact width between stitches (7 mm wide) and installed the leather. Then I used a leather scoring caliper all around to get the markings on the exact position they should go, and removed the leather. Punched the holes and reinstalled the leather. The moire effect of the picture makes the stitching looks a little crooked on the installed picture, (it shows the same effect on the original stitching sometimes due to the angle of the picture), but in real life the stitching looks perfectly straight and exactly as the original stitched panels. Compared them with an R that had the same panels. Very happy with the new results!

Here are some pictures for comparison. I would say it is 95% there this time...

Original panel on a 911R:

My 911T:

Last edited by alex_c; 06-09-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:16 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, where did you source the thread? Im not having much luck finding a color/diameter match. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Making new leather panels... DIY!