Sponsored by:

Rennline Radiator Protector Screen - 991.2 GTS Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:31 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rennline Radiator Protector Screen - 991.2 GTS Install

I installed the Rennline front bumper screens on my 18 911 GTS Cabrio yesterday. Below are some pics and tips for anyone looking into it.

First, many thanks to fellow Rennlister bkrantz, whose excellent thread on 991.2 front bumper removal was by far the best resource I found: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1023...tallation.html

Here's the finished product:

From this pic, it looks as though the screens might not cover the whole openings left and right - not to worry, they do.

I painted the radiators black before replacing the bumper cover. It looks a lot better than having silver radiators peeking out from the black screens.

Here's what you need to paint the radiators: Eastwood makes a rattle-can paint specific to radiators. It gets mixed reviews online, but I thought it did the job well. They recommend scuffing the surface with scuff pads before painting. You'll want to re-vacuum the radiators after doing that and before painting. I used a nylon upholstery brush vac attachment, which got 99% of the bugs, etc. off the radiators. Then re-vacuumed to remove the scuff pad fibers and dust.

Here are a few tips on the process:

- Removing the bumper cover will be a whole lot easier if you remove the front wheels first. If you don't want to do that (e.g. because Centerlock wheels), grab a long, narrow flathead screwdriver to get in and release the electrical connectors. Unless your arms are ballerina thin, you probably won't be getting them all the way in to the connector releases with the wheels still on.

- Many of the fasteners you'll remove look similar but aren't alike. I dropped them in a ziplock for each section I disassembled, and scrawled a quick label on the ziplock. Then everything went back where it came from.

- You'll be releasing a lot of windshield washer fluid when you disconnect the feeder line behind the fender. As the video on Rennline's site shows, you'll want a bucket to collect that. However, note that the lines in the front bumper cover retain quite a lot of fluid, even after you drain the reservoir. You may have to disconnect lines on the bumper cover itself to drill where Rennline tells you to (I did). So be ready for a flow from any exposed line when you do that. Mine poured soapy solution into the back of one of the big electrical connectors (ug) and all over the bumper cover and floor.

- Overall, it's not a difficult process, but if your kit requires drilling (apparently some do, some don't), you'll need to be slow and precise to avoid doing anything that will mar the visible part of the bumper cover. So, budget some time. ..
Old 06-04-2018, 12:15 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Looks great.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 218 Posts

Did the same on mine! One of the best mods I could have done.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:56 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Just got to do something about that flat plastic center area. That bugs me on this model.

I put a center rediator in ( although I didnt do it for the looks , but it does look much better---- functional)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Just got to do something about that flat plastic center area. That bugs me on this model.

I put a center rediator in ( although I didnt do it for the looks , but it does look much better---- functional)
Adaptive Cruise Control fills mine up LOL.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

True that - it would look better with a center radiator and screen.

How involved was your radiator install? Looks like you'd need the radiator and a mounting bracket - anything else?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:27 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

got any pics of the center radiator?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikex25

got any pics of the center radiator?
Behind a Zunsport grill I adapted
Radiator is full width, flash just didnt catch it all.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Behind a Zunsport grill I adapted
Radiator is full width, flash just didnt catch it all.
definitely looks cleaner with the center.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Arter, did you purchase the 3rd radiator separately? Who did the install and how much?
Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

The center screen is just $25 extra, it doesn't need a radiator to look matched.
Thanks for the write up OP.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:18 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
The center screen is just $25 extra, it doesn't need a radiator to look matched.
Thanks for the write up OP.
Different tastes I guess.. My center grill is sitting in the house collecting dust. Not a fan of the pointy edges/fitment. It looks like it was lazily put together + you have to screw into your bumper. No thanks!
Old 06-05-2018, 12:27 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nino
Arter, did you purchase the 3rd radiator separately? Who did the install and how much?
Radiator from Suncoast ( they sell a kit now).
Install at Vision. 2 hours labor ( bumper off and on plus getting the air out of all the wet circuits).

I track my car only reason why I added this.
Was 104F at Big Willow and I ran with my A/C on the last two sessions. Oil temp only 248F. Comfy
Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Different tastes I guess.. My center grill is sitting in the house collecting dust. Not a fan of the pointy edges/fitment. It looks like it was lazily put together + you have to screw into your bumper. No thanks!
Yeah, not my taste either.

I have been contemplating doing some of these grills. I think Im going to hold off since I love the look the exposed silver side radiators. I just have to get in there periodically with a pick and straighten the fins. PITA, but its a labor of love.

Quick Reply: Rennline Radiator Protector Screen - 991.2 GTS Install