Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so few sport chronos in manual trans cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 03:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Very curious about the info above re: boost in a 911.2 Carrera with and without SC. My car, which does not have SC, seems to live in the 10-11psi range and I occasionally see spikes to 13psi in some gears/situations—but staring at the gauge on full throttle isn't exactly easy or smart in these cars. When we tested the T recently, one road tester was pretty sure he saw 13-14psi at one point, and all three of us felt the T felt quicker. Both cars were 7MT.

I have a question in with Porsche re: boost across the range in Sport Plus (and Sport) as well as peak power outputs. One thing discussed is that Porsche engineers don't view the gauge as perfectly accurate—which is nothing new when it comes to boost gauges in general, in all cars. I can also see where, if the system can manage boost differently in different gears, it can offer the peak power numbers quoted while increasing performance under the curve in Sport Plus. Will be curious to hear back, but would appreciate a point to if anyone knows a path to the most relevant threads here on RL. It's easy to discount such threads, much as some did with GT4 cooling in Sport mode, but the latter proved true and an engineer at Porsche eventually confirmed that the press/marketing materials were incorrect when it came to cooling in Sport mode.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:52 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
It may be worth noting than manual cars from 2012.5, 2013 even with sport chrono did not have rev matching. For me this is the best of both worlds. I think the other things offered with the package significantly improve handling in the twisties. I drove with and without SC prior to purchase. It is worth it and I agree MT cars without it are poorly spaced (especially at the S level). Rev matching might make me faster on a track but I don't track my car.

QUOTE=911boy;15045948]+1. Why bother with MT if computer is going to take over IMO. I don't imagine I'd be able to detect/notice dynamic engine mounts.
[/QUOTE]

this is untrue for the 2013 991s. I have one with Sport Chrono and it auto blips in sport plus mode. Not in the other modes.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Strange

PCNA told me this directly when I called them and they had to check. Perhaps a late year 13' build ?

this is untrue for the 2013 991s. I have one with Sport Chrono and it auto blips in sport plus mode. Not in the other modes.
[/QUOTE]

Range

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 06-03-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Wow. There is a lot more going on than just that. Let me count the ways and I am sure I am missing some.

1. Rev matching
2. Improved throttle mapping
3. Dynamic engine mounts
4. relaxes the point at which PSM engages
5. G-force meter
6. Clock
7. Laptime stopwatch
8. Sport screen on PCM with lap comparisons
9. ability to download car/engine data to excel for analysis or pairing with video
10. Upshift indicator

And probably about 10 others that I forgot about.
Add the Shift Assistant to your list. Turns the MFD into a big solid color shift light, easy to see in the periphery. Only available for the MT crowd.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I can find the info somewhere. I researched this back when I was shopping as I wanted to make sure my 2013 didn't have it and I know there was a specific manufacturing date part way thru the model year where it was added in

Quick Reply: Why so few sport chronos in manual trans cars?