Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so few sport chronos in manual trans cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Wow. There is a lot more going on than just that. Let me count the ways and I am sure I am missing some.

1. Rev matching
2. Improved throttle mapping
3. Dynamic engine mounts
4. relaxes the point at which PSM engages
5. G-force meter
6. Clock
7. Laptime stopwatch
8. Sport screen on PCM with lap comparisons
9. ability to download car/engine data to excel for analysis or pairing with video
10. Upshift indicator
When you need to add "a clock" to the list, you know you are struggling. LMAO.

I am curious though what the throttle mapping differences are with SC compared to a MT car in Sport mode (more or less how I drive the car every time).

I assume the shift points in a PDK are probably altered with SC - but for an MT, what does SC do over and above engaging the Sport button in a non-SC car?
Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Prove anything? What does that mean? Some of us just enjoy it. SC makes more sense in PDK cars IMO.

Yeah, called out and you are right - a bit obnoxious. It's a result of my long-time friend repeatedly telling me that heel-toe is a requirement for good driving and that I've gone soft.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6

I am curious though what the throttle mapping differences are with SC compared to a MT car in Sport mode (more or less how I drive the car every time).

I assume the shift points in a PDK are probably altered with SC - but for an MT, what does SC do over and above engaging the Sport button in a non-SC car?
The maximum boost pressure (13 psi in the case of the base, and 16 psi in the S) is achieved only in S+ with the .2. Also, in S and S+ the turbos are kept "hot" that is they are they are sometimes making 1 psi of boost with light throttle, whereas is normal mode there would be no boost at all. I suspect this intended to reduce lag.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...ent-boost.html

I was planning on ordering a C2, and would not have ordered SC. My car fell into my lap, and it has SC which is great because knowing what I know now would have had me ordering the wrong car.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter

1. Rev matching
2. Improved throttle mapping
3. Dynamic engine mounts
4. relaxes the point at which PSM engages
5. G-force meter
6. Clock
7. Laptime stopwatch
8. Sport screen on PCM with lap comparisons
9. ability to download car/engine data to excel for analysis or pairing with video
10. Upshift indicator
When I look at the list above...

3 is a worthwhile upgrade in my book
4 is nice if you want to drift your 911, or have reason to be sideways often; otherwise, PSM is very good and unobtrusive
1 and 6 are downsides in my view, and only defeatable by making other compromises
2 "improved" means sharper, which only makes the car feel faster/more responsive and actually makes it a bit trickier to drive smoothly when it matters most

The rest don't hurt anything, but don't do much for me, either. YMMV. You do get Individual mode, but it's a pity that it doesn't offer more individuality—using that giant PCM screen to configure one's preferred steering, damper, throttle, rev-matching, etc preferences to a tee. The question is whether #3 above is worth the full price of SCP, to me. I decided it was wasn't when I spec'd my car, and now kind of regret that decision.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:10 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

I have SC in my manual 991.2 4s and I love the rev matching in sport mode. It is a relatively cheap option. Also love the analog clock.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:44 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yeah, called out and you are right - a bit obnoxious. It's a result of my long-time friend repeatedly telling me that heel-toe is a requirement for good driving and that I've gone soft.
Too funny Dan. Gotta love good friends........
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Its almost funny reading the comments about "more aggressive" throttle response. Does anyone actually believe that? If you do, sorry, wrong. Throttle response on ALL these cars, even with SC, is seriously dumbed down. Slowed. As in the slow kid who just can't keep up. So its not "more aggressive" its actually just a little less artificially attenuated. Partly this is Porsche trying to cope with onerous regulations. A lot though is the reality of the vast majority of owners being utterly unprepared for the reality of 400+ horsepower. They want to go fast. They do NOT want to have to actually acquire the skills needed to go fast. Very extremely annoyingly aggravating, the way the few have to suffer for the majority this way. Especially since its mostly the very vocal minority who think its their glorious clutch pedal that denotes their driving superiority, even as they prove the opposite by not appreciating this valuable option. Sad.

Also makes me wonder, if fast throttle response "when it matters most" is so bad, how much they slow it down in F1. Right.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have SC in mine, without Rev match because I have a launch car, but I appreciate all the other features it offers.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:57 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by kennypowers
plus rev matching only engages in sport plus.

again, with sc the auto rev matching is only active in sport plus mode

sport or normal mode has no rev matching. I do 99.9% of my driving in sport with no rev matching and tc on.

Only in the .1s. The .2s have rev matching in sport and sport +.

Originally Posted by spiderv6
When you need to add "a clock" to the list, you know you are struggling. LMAO.
Lol. Of course I was just making a list to be comprehensive......no "need" there. And I see that I missed a few.

P.S. I like the clock too. You can make the needle go around fast when resetting the lap timer.

Originally Posted by Jaws1
The maximum boost pressure (13 psi in the case of the base, and 16 psi in the S) is achieved only in S+ with the .2. Also, in S and S+ the turbos are kept "hot" that is they are they are sometimes making 1 psi of boost with light throttle, whereas is normal mode there would be no boost at all. I suspect this intended to reduce lag.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...ent-boost.html

I was planning on ordering a C2, and would not have ordered SC. My car fell into my lap, and it has SC which is great because knowing what I know now would have had me ordering the wrong car.
This is a very good point and one that I overlooked in my list. That was a great thread that many of us participated in. I still don't think that the community has fully absorbed that thread yet and what it means.

Originally Posted by stout
When I look at the list above...
You do get Individual mode,.
That's another good one that I missed. It comes with the **** on the steering wheel instead of buttons and adds I mode.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:03 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its almost funny reading the comments about "more aggressive" throttle response. Does anyone actually believe that? If you do, sorry, wrong. Throttle response on ALL these cars, even with SC, is seriously dumbed down. Slowed. As in the slow kid who just can't keep up. So its not "more aggressive" its actually just a little less artificially attenuated. Partly this is Porsche trying to cope with onerous regulations. A lot though is the reality of the vast majority of owners being utterly unprepared for the reality of 400+ horsepower. They want to go fast. They do NOT want to have to actually acquire the skills needed to go fast. Very extremely annoyingly aggravating, the way the few have to suffer for the majority this way. Especially since its mostly the very vocal minority who think its their glorious clutch pedal that denotes their driving superiority, even as they prove the opposite by not appreciating this valuable option. Sad.

Also makes me wonder, if fast throttle response "when it matters most" is so bad, how much they slow it down in F1. Right.
It's a little more subtle than that. You might be right about throttle response in the sense of how quickly the engine increases output after you depress the pedal. However, what typically happens in the Sport or Sport + modes is that the throttle linearity changes. In other words, if in normal mode, when you depress the throttle 20 percent of its travel you might get 20 percent of the engine's available torque. In Sport, however, you might 30 percent of the torque for a 20 percent throttle movement. And in Sport+, you might get 40 percent. This might make the car feel quicker or more responsive to the unwashed, but the engine can still only make the same peak output at full throttle, so it has no effect on performance. And it does make it more difficult to balance the car at the limit.

I suspect that F1 cars have very linear--and rapid--throttle response.

Also, I'm curious about this notion that the 991.2s only make peak boost in Sport+ mode. Since non-SC cars don't offer Sport+, that would suggest that they evelop less boost and make less peak power than the SC cars. Porsche does not indicate this in any of the specifications so I'm dubious about this peak-boost-only-in-Sport+ notion.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, on the new T model ordering sport chrono isn't tied to anything but a track app. The car comes with everything that is usually tied to the dash wart as standard, and that's a good thing imo.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Also, I'm curious about this notion that the 991.2s only make peak boost in Sport+ mode. Since non-SC cars don't offer Sport+, that would suggest that they evelop less boost and make less peak power than the SC cars. Porsche does not indicate this in any of the specifications so I'm dubious about this peak-boost-only-in-Sport+ notion.
If it is true that 991.2s only make peak boast in Sport+ mode, those of us without SC may have been victims of false advertising, as Porsche published torque and HP curves may not apply to our cars. Either that, or torque and HP curves with the higher boost in Sport+ are higher than those published over at least part of the RPM range.

Porsche should definitely clarify this question. If the boost is truly higher in Sport+ mode, I would think that it should be advertised as a marketing tool for SC.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

again, with sc the auto rev matching is only active in sport plus mode

sport or normal mode has no rev matching. I do 99.9% of my driving in sport with no rev matching and tc on.
When I picked up my 2017 at PEC Atlanta, and did my track time in a similar C2 (but with SC), they told me, and I experienced, that rev-matching intruded during all modes except normal.

And while it might be "awesome", more awesome is doing it yourself and getting it right.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

2 grand for a useless wart on your dash? Not for me. I deliberately left it off. If you can't properly heel and toe for yourself you're missing half the fun.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
It's a little more subtle than that.
It's even more subtle then that, since Chuck911 has never driven a manual 991 with Sport Chrono. He only writes about it here on Rennlist.

Quick Reply: Why so few sport chronos in manual trans cars?