Sponsored by:

Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Christy
I had a 2015 S and traded in for 2015 GTS, and I ended up spending about $25K for the upgrade.
No regrets, love my GTS, would do it again without hesitation.
The options were different between the two which accounts for some of my preference for the GTS.
I was considering a new GT3, but it didn’t make sense as mine is a daily driver.
And as a daily driver I know I’m going to rack on the miles so the depreciation wasn’t really a concern, I plan on keeping this car for a long time.
The most notable difference between them to me (and the wife) was the WOT exhaust sound (the S also had PSE).
IMO the exterior styling of the GTS rocks as compared to the S, the front sport bumper, centerlocks, wider tail and the black grille.
Plus you’ll be one up on your hubby!
Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:50 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN

Also your idiotic thinking has led me to conclude that this forum is mostly populated by morons like yourself who have no idea what makes a 911 a driver’s car. If you happen to think that is alcantara,centerlock wheels, a silly sound maker of a wannabe racer and GTS logos then you truly are pathetic and not even worthy of this disdain.
Put me in the Moron group then as some of those things are what attracted me to a GTS vs an S.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:08 PM
ausgezeichnet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fstgtbtl
Just my opinion but I have owned both the cars you are discussing and there is just something special about the GTS. It just feels like a better car and was the best 911 i have ever owned (i currently have a 991.2 GT3). I would say its worth the money to go for the GTS. I miss mine every day and wish i had not sold it
Wow high praise indeed for the GTS to be compared favourably with a GT3

May I ask what specifically you found in terms of difference between the 2 cars ?

Was your GTS a gen 1 or 2 ?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:27 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow!!! This thread has taken on a life of its own. I'm curious as to what ChristT wound up doing. If she keeps waiting to read all these blogs, both cars will probably be sold to someone else. I do hope things worked out to her satisfaction
Old 06-02-2018, 03:13 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

What I am missing? Why doesn't she drive both cars and make her decision from that. Also, if the cars are different model years, of course there is going to be a large difference in the prices, even if they were both the same model. Buy what you like, not what every one tells you that you are going like. Drive them, evaluate them, and get what makes you smile the most!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

For the 991.1 iteration of the 911, the GTS was the Carrera with the highest horsepower short of the GT3. Now that the Carrera line has gone FI, the differentiation between the Carrera and the "real" turbo line has been muddied. For instance, the 991.2 GTS is no longer differentiated from the turbo and turbo-S by its NA engine. The 991.2 GTS remains a different driving experience and different car design from the turbo, yes, but it is less distinct from the turbo than it once was because of the FI engine. Further, for me and for many others, the GTS is the perfect balance between performance/sportiness and daily drivability. It sets itself apart from its naturally aspirated big brother, the GT3, by the fact that it has 4 seats, it has a less stiff chassis option, it has auto/start stop for fuel efficiency (a debated topic, yes, but I am fairly confident it does save gas on the highway in coast mode), and perhaps the biggest of all for me, it can be ordered with a drop top. Even the newest of the naturally aspirated holy grails, the Speedster, won't be able to match the 991.1 GTS in at least one way because it is a two seater. The GTS also sets itself apart from the "real" turbos inasmuch as it can be had with a manual transmission. The attraction of the GTS was lost for me in the 991.2 because I am an NA guy. My GT3T will be a weekend toy and occasional DD but my GTS will remain my go-to car on a day to day basis. You can't go wrong with any 911 Carrera as a daily driver but I do think the 991.1 GTS is something special, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and its 3.8 L flax six naturally aspirated engine is the final, most powerful and arguably the best ever iteration of the naturally aspirated engine in the Carrera.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
For the 991.1 iteration of the 911, the GTS was the Carrera with the highest horsepower short of the GT3. Now that the Carrera line has gone FI, the differentiation between the Carrera and the "real" turbo line has been muddied. For instance, the 991.2 GTS is no longer differentiated from the turbo and turbo-S by its NA engine. The 991.2 GTS remains a different driving experience and different car design from the turbo, yes, but it is less distinct from the turbo than it once was because of the FI engine. Further, for me and for many others, the GTS is the perfect balance between performance/sportiness and daily drivability. It sets itself apart from its naturally aspirated big brother, the GT3, by the fact that it has 4 seats, it has a less stiff chassis option, it has auto/start stop for fuel efficiency (a debated topic, yes, but I am fairly confident it does save gas on the highway in coast mode), and perhaps the biggest of all for me, it can be ordered with a drop top. Even the newest of the naturally aspirated holy grails, the Speedster, won't be able to match the 991.1 GTS in at least one way because it is a two seater. The GTS also sets itself apart from the "real" turbos inasmuch as it can be had with a manual transmission. The attraction of the GTS was lost for me in the 991.2 because I am an NA guy. My GT3T will be a weekend toy and occasional DD but my GTS will remain my go-to car on a day to day basis. You can't go wrong with any 911 Carrera as a daily driver but I do think the 991.1 GTS is something special, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and its 3.8 L flax six naturally aspirated engine is the final, most powerful and arguably the best ever iteration of the naturally aspirated engine in the Carrera.
Have you submitted your build yet for the GT3T? Are you going to be able to get PTS?

Jim
Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Jim - I am in the process of re-submitting a PTS build. My PTS build back in February was rejected. My SA thinks there may be some PTS slots available for current GT3 allocations with September or later builds. My build locks 8/25 and goes into production in late September or early October. Will keep RL posted on whether I am able to get a PTS slot after all. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I may have to follow our fellow RL'er's brilliant lead and go for an Olive Green Touring with silver trim and rims, PCCB, and buckets. I am not getting my hopes up for PTS, but you never know!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

I like Nick Murray’s videos and his impressions are spot on. As for you, who knows? Obviously an immature *** from your silly post and in dire need of an enema to wash out the crap that has migrated from your constipated bowels to your shrunken brain. Also your idiotic thinking has led me to conclude that this forum is mostly populated by morons like yourself who have no idea what makes a 911 a driver’s car. If you happen to think that is alcantara,centerlock wheels, a silly sound maker of a wannabe racer and GTS logos then you truly are pathetic and not even worthy of this disdain. I suspect you have GTS tattooed in your manly bits (that is if you have any) and sleep in your car. Gosh it is fun trading insults.
So, welcome to the forums. Us morons should learn a great deal from you. Since you get your most up to date info from Nick Murray’s videos please share your next revelations so we all might be raised from moron status.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:00 AM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I like Nick Murray’s videos and his impressions are spot on. As for you, who knows? Obviously an immature *** from your silly post and in dire need of an enema to wash out the crap that has migrated from your constipated bowels to your shrunken brain. Also your idiotic thinking has led me to conclude that this forum is mostly populated by morons like yourself who have no idea what makes a 911 a driver’s car. If you happen to think that is alcantara,centerlock wheels, a silly sound maker of a wannabe racer and GTS logos then you truly are pathetic and not even worthy of this disdain. I suspect you have GTS tattooed in your manly bits (that is if you have any) and sleep in your car. Gosh it is fun trading insults.
Perhaps drinking and posting isnt the best choice for you ?
Old 06-03-2018, 03:09 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Jim - I am in the process of re-submitting a PTS build. My PTS build back in February was rejected. My SA thinks there may be some PTS slots available for current GT3 allocations with September or later builds. My build locks 8/25 and goes into production in late September or early October. Will keep RL posted on whether I am able to get a PTS slot after all. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I may have to follow our fellow RL'er's brilliant lead and go for an Olive Green Touring with silver trim and rims, PCCB, and buckets. I am not getting my hopes up for PTS, but you never know!
Good luck. I saw you posting in the GT3 forum re PTS. Olive Green would really stand out. Someone got this color I think with yellow accents on an R and it was amazing. Should stand out even among the cool cars in Playa Del Rey!

J
Old 06-03-2018, 04:36 AM
ausgezeichnet
Intermediate

Thumbs up

This is what makes the world go round I guess as I owned a 991.1 GTS and sold it after a few months as I did not like it as much as my BMW M4 .

The engine felt gutless and slow compared to the M4 and the technology like sat nav and phone connectivity was in the dark ages compared to the BMW .

I have driven the new gen2 GTS and loved it and thought the turbo engine was great
Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
What I am missing? Why doesn't she drive both cars and make her decision from that. Also, if the cars are different model years, of course there is going to be a large difference in the prices, even if they were both the same model. Buy what you like, not what every one tells you that you are going like. Drive them, evaluate them, and get what makes you smile the most!
spot on in my book. buy what you like.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:21 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

I was where you are 5 weeks ago, looking at CPO 2015 GTS, PDK with 21k miles and 2017 S manual with only 2k and balance of factory warranty (non Porsche dealer), both cars retailed around $145,000 new. Selling prices were very close GTS for $103k and S for 99K. I struggled a lot with my decision and could not make up my mind. Drove both cars on separate days starting with the GTS and then S. I knew right away after that I wanted the GTS and ended buying it. Very happy with the car and never regretted my decision. So as others said drive both cars (even if it means you travel) and you will know which one is for you.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting discussion. I have a new GTS and couldn’t be happier, however when buying new there is almost $12K in value added options over spec’ing an S with similar options. I preferred the sport fascia over the standard and preferred the 4 width - or as a friend of mine said, the sexiest most athletic rear end in all of automotivedom. Of course the advantage GTS is far more subjective when losing that advantage when you are paying extra used for what was built in new.

I would not undersell the extra 30 ponies - it was very noticeable to me, especially near the top end. More than anyone needs and jailbait - and the problem is? A lot of people spend thousands of dollars squeezing more power out of their cars. Getting it stock is the best way.

Also the CL wheels are forged vs cast - less unsprung weight and stronger. All sorts of threads on plus’s and minuses on CL’s but even the minuses can be mitigated easily. A final thought that also drove me is I didn’t want be in the position several years later wishing I’d got more car.

Last edited by Nm2far; 06-03-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS