Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

If you are planning to keep car for a long time, get the GTS. If you plan to flip, get the S.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Stout,

Love your work man; but how could they be a 991.2, when she said they were 2013 and 2015 ?
Just went back and looked at the original post. Still unclear to me on which generation, .1 or .2, and don't see MY mentioned in it? Maybe it comes later, but didn't read this thread start to finish—so just offered OP quick thoughts for .1 or .2 to cover all bases...which pay a high compliment to the .1 GTS. Don't see how offering thoughts on S vs GTS for both generations for someone is bad today, or later, when someone else looking at the same question for .1 or .2 comes along and finds this thread by its title, which is also a bit confusing with the "2" in there.

Last edited by stout; 05-31-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
More pics please.
You're really adding a lot of value to this thread and encouraging the OP to stick around....
Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

More pics please.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 PM
kunzjob
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT GET THE GTS!! Save the GTS for a real enthusiast who knows, wants, and loves it for what it is. Save your pennies and get the S instead.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by kunzjob
DO NOT GET THE GTS!! Save the GTS for a real enthusiast who knows, wants, and loves it for what it is. Save your pennies and get the S instead.
Huh? Fairly sure that someone posting here is an "enthusiast" - plus, let's be fair, it's not a GT2 or GT3 or some other mythological limited-run model.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:35 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. what a douche.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

This is a good attempt at an analogy but ultimately a bad one. Your comparison should have been between a base M4 (which is what’s pictured) and an M4 Comp pack. A few extra ponies, some blingier wheels and seats, and extra pixie dust is really the same formula that Porsche applies to the S vs GTS. But in the case of the 991.1, because it’s an already well developed NA engine, it requires a different intake manifold, heads, etc. to make that extra 30 HP.

M4 vs 435/440 is a big step change. Different suspension, different diff, different sub frames, different steering rack, auto vs DCT, very different engine (single vs twin turbo), mich different seats, carbon fiber roof, etc. Not even the same car.
I get where you're coming from but my point is, since the power and looks and almost all else are essentially the same, this boils down to an emotional decision. There's no wrong answer and $20k maybe be worth it to have no regrets.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM
JamesS1
AutoX

Hello

I tried to figure my old sign on but it was not there. Here is my two cents....

I was in you same situation. I just traded my 2009 Boxster S for a 2015 911 GTS Cab about three weeks ago. To sum it up: CrissyT you are a car person and like awesome cars. If you can afford it go with the GTS and don't look back.

I was looking at 2014-2016 911's and wanted a Targa or Cab. I drove S's, 4S, and a GTS Targa. Once I took the GTS Cab out I knew that was my car. You really want the GTS but keep trying to justify the price to yourself and I get that, same here with me. I had budget creap that happened. If you can get what you keep comparing to the baseline/benchmark (aka the GTS) and are able to get the standard that you are comparing it to, do it. Like with tablets, everyone says the Surface is just like an iPad, but it doesn't do certain things. Well get the iPad, it is the benchmark.

PS - More horsepower is never a bad thing. And I have nicknamed my all black GTS - Trouble
Old 06-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

You didn't just say that...did you?

Old 06-01-2018, 04:55 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

All these comments about how great the GTS is vs the S are hard to understand. Just a bunch of misinformation and/or perhaps delusional thinking. The GTS is simply a parts bin special with some minor differences in appearance, trim and a mild power bump. It is not a GT3 or a 911 Turbo. Add all the standard features in the GTS to the S and it costs much more. Get the GTS if you like the standard features and you save money. That is all the difference I can discern between the two models. And because I do not care for the standard features in the GTS is why I opted for the C4S rather than the GTS 4.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Just went back and looked at the original post. Still unclear to me on which generation, .1 or .2, and don't see MY mentioned in it? Maybe it comes later, but didn't read this thread start to finish—so just offered OP quick thoughts for .1 or .2 to cover all bases...which pay a high compliment to the .1 GTS. Don't see how offering thoughts on S vs GTS for both generations for someone is bad today, or later, when someone else looking at the same question for .1 or .2 comes along and finds this thread by its title, which is also a bit confusing with the "2" in there.
Just playing. Hence, the

The info is in the thread, but it’s not immediately obvious. Interesting how people interpret writing - when I read the title I assumed the “2S” meant Carrera 2S. Your mind immediately went to 991.2. That’s nothing a good therapist can’t take care of
Old 06-01-2018, 05:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Just playing. Hence, the

No worries!

The info is in the thread, but it’s not immediately obvious. Interesting how people interpret writing - when I read the title I assumed the “2S” meant Carrera 2S. Your mind immediately went to 991.2. That’s nothing a good therapist can’t take care of

Not so much. I saw both possibilities, hence two answers to cover both bases: "If 991.1..." and "If 991.2..."

But, since I now know where the OP is at, my advice is simple: If that .1 GTS is anywhere near similar money to a base .2 CPO, go find a base .2 CPO.

Unless, that is, the .1 GTS engine wins her over. I can see how it might, and there is no "cure" for that, nor should there be. I get it.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

OP - did you make a decision or are you close to one?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:22 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

Luckily you don't work for Porsche because we'd have the worst and most boring 911 lineup ever. You are over opinionated in every single thread. From PSE to "help me build my GTS" to this one.

This entire post of yours is you talking out of your butt and incorrect. Who are you calling delusional, big boy?

Can you get the widebody in an S? No.

CL wheels in an S? No.

Less sound deadening in an S? No.

Alcantara in an S? No.

Can you get the bigger turbo in an S or different plenum/internals on the .1? Yes, for 10 grand.

Can you get the letters GTS on the dash? No.

Will the S hold resale value better than the S? No.

If you don't like alcantara thats your problem. If you don't like PSE thats your problem. If you don't like less sound deadening thats your problem. It's obvious you're into old man builds. Thankfully Porsche lets you choose how to build your 911 to your taste.

Sounds like you and Nick Murray should get a room... You know, since you have the same car/ color combo and you both spew the same nonsense.. Do you jerk it to Nick's videos?

Introducing the all new Porsche 991 Anand (formerly known as CARRERA).
I like Nick Murray’s videos and his impressions are spot on. As for you, who knows? Obviously an immature *** from your silly post and in dire need of an enema to wash out the crap that has migrated from your constipated bowels to your shrunken brain. Also your idiotic thinking has led me to conclude that this forum is mostly populated by morons like yourself who have no idea what makes a 911 a driver’s car. If you happen to think that is alcantara,centerlock wheels, a silly sound maker of a wannabe racer and GTS logos then you truly are pathetic and not even worthy of this disdain. I suspect you have GTS tattooed in your manly bits (that is if you have any) and sleep in your car. Gosh it is fun trading insults.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-01-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS