Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Buying an S and adding headers will not equal a GTS.

Sorry but but I don’t think modding an S is going to be as fulfilling as owning a powerkitted car (GTS) from the start. I owned a modded C4S and loved it but a GTS would have been better from the start.

To complicate matters, are you married to the 991 idea? You could probably find a great 997 GT3 for the same price. It won’t be overwhelming in torque like the .2 but will entertain all the way to redline and is already a classic.

you may even be able to find a low spec 991.1 GT3 in the price range. And Porsche warranties the .1 GT3 for 10 years or 120,000.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Buying an S and adding headers will not equal a GTS.

Sorry but but I don’t think modding an S is going to be as fulfilling as owning a powerkitted car (GTS) from the start. I owned a modded C4S and loved it but a GTS would have been better from the start.

To complicate matters, are you married to the 991 idea? You could probably find a great 997 GT3 for the same price. It won’t be overwhelming in torque like the .2 but will entertain all the way to redline and is already a classic.

you may even be able to find a low spec 991.1 GT3 in the price range. And Porsche warranties the .1 GT3 for 10 years or 120,000.
...I'll guarantee you, you won't find a 991.1 GT3 for under $100k.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:09 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

No brainer...as long as the S has the look/color/options you want, and the GTS pixie dust isn't your thing, get the S! Have driven both variants, and while the GTS is more throaty in the exhaust note, the S (w/ power kit) absolutely screams for a stock 911. And with $20k in your pocket you are off an running.

And you have great hips

Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
I love your car!

I found out a bit more about the S: it has the same warranty length, as an extended warranty is already attached to the car for another 18 months, so the coverage will be similar on either car. I get the exhaust consideration: that was one of the things I loved about our first 911, but from what I gather, upgrading the exhaust on a sport-exhaust 2S is pretty easy, and sport headers as an upgrade sounds fun too. I wasn't thinking too seriously about depreciation, but it seems the GTS probably has a flatter curve, but further to fall. Either car will cost us $5,000 to $10,000 a year to own. Power is probably the least of my considerations; we recently drove a manual 2009 turbo, and it was a little too much car. I would be getting pulled over too often. I already get pulled over too often; it must be the flashy colors! One time the cop pulled me over to check out my Smurf Blue M-car....I miss her

I agree with all of that. Adding the sport exhaust to the S will get you 90% of the sound of the GTS (IMO). As STG said, the rides will be exactly the same since both cars have SPASM and PDCC. That is a beautiful blue ! The Burmester in the S may suit you both better - The Bose is average at best. It needs some work and a good source to be enjoyable.

Either way you really can’t go wrong. Enjoy
Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

If the local car has the Burmester sound system that's a nice plus. The Bose system sucks. If it matters to you. I'm trying to upgrade mine now and it isn't simple.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:57 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
My husband has his 911 already and I need a car I wanted a GTS the first time around, but now I am looking at a very clean, one owner C2S locally. the GTS I am interested in is a few states away, so no test drives.

Both are manuals, and have all of the sporty options: Sport suspension, PDCC. Each car is nearly a $150k build.

The price differential is significant. $20,000 for 2 cars with similar mileage, one being 2 years newer. Both are my favorite color.

When it comes down to it, which is the better car, and by how much? The reason I wanted the GTS was to get all of the cool stuff that happens to be on this 2S locally. Sure, it has more power, but by all accounts it is not noticeable. Does the exhaust sound better? Centerlock wheels can be good or bad. It also is a bit wider, which is cool, but what else?

I am buying the car, not the badge, BTW (lest anyone say "get the GTS because it a GTS. Way cooler, bro!")
Buy the one you like. There are no bad 911s. Just personal preferences with options and power. Saving 20k is not an inconsiderable sum. GTS is a bundling of popular performance options at a discount. In the S, you get to pick your options.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

If .1, I'd lean towards GTS because that engine is fantastic.

If .2, I'd lean towards S + $20k—or buy a plain Carrera or T.

There really is no bad option here!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Christy, my opinion for what it’s worth would be the s. You’ll have plenty of power and really no need at all to modify anything if you have sc and pse already. I’m all about having as much fun as I can without going to jail and my s with pdk, pse, sc and spasm is MORE than enough. Saying that the only thing I would trade my c2s for would be a 991.1 gts or a gt3. Anyway you go you’ll be happy! Love the “smurf blue” bimmer btw.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
If .1, I'd lean towards GTS because that engine is fantastic.

If .2, I'd lean towards S + $20k—or buy a plain Carrera or T.

There really is no bad option here!
Stout,

Love your work man; but how could they be a 991.2, when she said they were 2013 and 2015 ?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you had a top of the line M4. Would you have had remorse every time you saw an M4 if you had bought a 335i instead? That's sort of the way I'd think of choosing between an S and a GTS. Do you see yourself thinking "I coulda had a GTS" every time you saw a GTS if you decided to think with your head instead of your heart and bought the S. on the other hand, I think center lock wheels for a daily driver might kinda get old in terms of maintenance, since you'll probably be changing rear tires every year.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Stout,

Love your work man; but how could they be a 991.2, when she said they were 2013 and 2015 ?
o man a .2! Those things are super duper fast right? Anyone know where I can get a reliable tune for my crazy fast .2 base? JK. Love the 991.2’s.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I'd go with the GTS. Two years newer, wider hips, centre lock wheels.

But, I have a 2013 C2S and I'm absolutely happy with it! You'll be delighted either way. $20k is not an insignificant amount of money.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by bliq00
So you had a top of the line M4. Would you have had remorse every time you saw an M4 if you had bought a 335i instead? That's sort of the way I'd think of choosing between an S and a GTS. Do you see yourself thinking "I coulda had a GTS" every time you saw a GTS if you decided to think with your head instead of your heart and bought the S. on the other hand, I think center lock wheels for a daily driver might kinda get old in terms of maintenance, since you'll probably be changing rear tires every year.
This is a good attempt at an analogy but ultimately a bad one. Your comparison should have been between a base M4 (which is what’s pictured) and an M4 Comp pack. A few extra ponies, some blingier wheels and seats, and extra pixie dust is really the same formula that Porsche applies to the S vs GTS. But in the case of the 991.1, because it’s an already well developed NA engine, it requires a different intake manifold, heads, etc. to make that extra 30 HP.

M4 vs 435/440 is a big step change. Different suspension, different diff, different sub frames, different steering rack, auto vs DCT, very different engine (single vs twin turbo), mich different seats, carbon fiber roof, etc. Not even the same car.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:35 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

More pics please.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 AM
fstgtbtl
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my opinion but I have owned both the cars you are discussing and there is just something special about the GTS. It just feels like a better car and was the best 911 i have ever owned (i currently have a 991.2 GT3). I would say its worth the money to go for the GTS. I miss mine every day and wish i had not sold it

Quick Reply: Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS