Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:43 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Dom991.1 - I believe I learned about the diminished GTS sound deadening in other threads here on RL. I take in so much Porsche information from various sources (RL, YouTube, 000, etc) that I can’t always recall from where I learned it. But that is definitely not something I just came up with from personal experience. The wider body and rear wheels does give the GTS the handling edge. But some may prefer the narrower rear and a slightly less planted rear on twist and turns - to each his or her own!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:25 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The GTS does indeed have less sound deadening.

Chalk another one up the board for the GTS. LOL at these loser non GTS owners.

Also LOL at the horn dog who had to delete his post. The leg humpers came out for this one. Gold!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
The GTS does indeed have less sound deadening.

Chalk another one up the board for the GTS. LOL at these loser non GTS owners.

Also LOL at the horn dog who had to delete his post. The leg humpers came out for this one. Gold!
LOL to the losers who need validation by saying they have a GTS, truly ‘gold’!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

LOL to the losers who need validation by saying they have a GTS, truly ‘gold’!
LOL at the loser who can't take the joke! Go away, peasant S boy.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:19 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
LOL at the loser who can't take the joke! Go away, peasant S boy.
As you wish, keyboard tough guy...
Old 05-30-2018, 04:49 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

As you wish, keyboard tough guy...
Come back pls.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:24 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I previously had a 991.1S and a 991.1S w/powerkit. (My current car is an '18 GTS)

Between a '13S and a '15GTS, both with the same miles, and optioned similarly, I would get the GTS. Two years newer and with the powerkit and wider body, not to mention that the GTS will have slightly better resale value over time. The powerkit car felt slightly quicker to me over the S (although I wonder if this would be partly negated by the extra weight that the GTS carries) and the exhaust (both had PSE) has a slightly deeper bark (both sounded fantastic but I would give the edge to the powerkit, no question). If you don't change your own tires, centerlock wheels look very cool. If you do change out for winters twice a year, go with the S.

LOVE Sapphire Blue and Aqua Blue (see my avatar, LOL). I actually slightly prefer Aqua over Sapphire, but both are gorgeous. They are distinctly different - Aqua is darker.

One important factor that might sway me to the S would be the condition of both cars. If one had a lot of road rash, scratches, dings, paint chips, etc and the other had been obviously better taken care of (interior and exterior) then I would certainly consider the condition of the other car.

What are the options on each car? Any significant difference?
Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
My husband has his 911 already and I need a car I wanted a GTS the first time around, but now I am looking at a very clean, one owner C2S locally. the GTS I am interested in is a few states away, so no test drives.

Both are manuals, and have all of the sporty options: Sport suspension, PDCC. Each car is nearly a $150k build.

The price differential is significant. $20,000 for 2 cars with similar mileage, one being 2 years newer. Both are my favorite color.

When it comes down to it, which is the better car, and by how much? The reason I wanted the GTS was to get all of the cool stuff that happens to be on this 2S locally. Sure, it has more power, but by all accounts it is not noticeable. Does the exhaust sound better? Centerlock wheels can be good or bad. It also is a bit wider, which is cool, but what else?

I am buying the car, not the badge, BTW (lest anyone say "get the GTS because it a GTS. Way cooler, bro!")
Hey Christy,

I think you’ll be happy with the 13S. Hurricane makes some good points above with regard to the GTS newer model year, and slightly different depreciation. Having the warranty for longer is also reassuring. They’re incredibly reliable, but when they’re not ...... they’re expensive. You’ll be happy with either. I’ve got a GTS, but might lean to the S with the price delta. Don’t visit or drive the GTS; it’ll cost you $20K. Yes you can tell the difference - wider tires, wider stance, more power and more torque. At 7000 RPM it screams. However, the difference is not blinding.

I haven’t been very helpful really. Have I ?

Old 05-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Sorry, I don't care for the over-the-top styling and feel a bit like a douche in a car like that. Porsche is the perfect sweet spot

I'm with you on that. I'm selling mine and can't wait for it to be gone. Too much look at me and boy-racer. It's embarrassing.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:04 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Hey Christy,

I think you’ll be happy with the 13S. Hurricane makes some good points above with regard to the GTS newer model year, and slightly different depreciation. Having the warranty for longer is also reassuring. They’re incredibly reliable, but when they’re not ...... they’re expensive. You’ll be happy with either. I’ve got a GTS, but might lean to the S with the price delta. Don’t visit or drive the GTS; it’ll cost you $20K. Yes you can tell the difference - wider tires, wider stance, more power and more torque. At 7000 RPM it screams. However, the difference is not blinding.

I haven’t been very helpful really. Have I ?

I love your car!

I found out a bit more about the S: it has the same warranty length, as an extended warranty is already attached to the car for another 18 months, so the coverage will be similar on either car. I get the exhaust consideration: that was one of the things I loved about our first 911, but from what I gather, upgrading the exhaust on a sport-exhaust 2S is pretty easy, and sport headers as an upgrade sounds fun too. I wasn't thinking too seriously about depreciation, but it seems the GTS probably has a flatter curve, but further to fall. Either car will cost us $5,000 to $10,000 a year to own. Power is probably the least of my considerations; we recently drove a manual 2009 turbo, and it was a little too much car. I would be getting pulled over too often. I already get pulled over too often; it must be the flashy colors! One time the cop pulled me over to check out my Smurf Blue M-car....I miss her

Old 05-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

The GTS is not as soft and compliant. I bought one and it's not bad. In fact I love the car. But I wish it had a softer setting for daily driving like my Alfa has.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
The GTS is not as soft and compliant. I bought one and it's not bad. In fact I love the car. But I wish it had a softer setting for daily driving like my Alfa has.
Doesn't the S I am considering have the same suspension? It is listed as Sport PASM on both cars. Does the GTS get tweaks? Verified, documented improvements, or "unicorn pixie dust"?

This is basically a 12 of one, dozen of the other situation, isn't it?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Doesn't the S I am considering have the same suspension? It is listed as Sport PASM on both cars. Does the GTS get tweaks? Verified, documented improvements, or "unicorn pixie dust"?

This is basically a 12 of one, dozen of the other situation, isn't it?

SPASM on >>> C2S and GTS are EXACTLY the same suspension and parts. No tweaks and only pixie dust. 100% same "ride".
Old 05-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I love your car!

I found out a bit more about the S: it has the same warranty length, as an extended warranty is already attached to the car for another 18 months, so the coverage will be similar on either car. I get the exhaust consideration: that was one of the things I loved about our first 911, but from what I gather, upgrading the exhaust on a sport-exhaust 2S is pretty easy, and sport headers as an upgrade sounds fun too. I wasn't thinking too seriously about depreciation, but it seems the GTS probably has a flatter curve, but further to fall. Either car will cost us $5,000 to $10,000 a year to own. Power is probably the least of my considerations; we recently drove a manual 2009 turbo, and it was a little too much car. I would be getting pulled over too often. I already get pulled over too often; it must be the flashy colors! One time the cop pulled me over to check out my Smurf Blue M-car....I miss her

Based on this.....go with the S, save the $20k. You will be more than happy with it. And post pics when you get it!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:50 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Also people forgot to mention the fact that you said the power on the base was good enough for you. Based on that alone, I'd say to get the S and save $20k. Especially with the equivalent suspension parts, the only thing you're really missing out on is 30hp and it wouldn't really be put to use anyway

Quick Reply: Help me decide:local 991 2S vs GTS