Sponsored by:

991 Battery Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:00 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 991 Battery Voltage

My wife was involved in an accident in our 2017 Honda CR-V that could have easily been fatal. As it turns out she was very lucky and the worst injury for her is a cracked sternum, and on the car side, a totaled vehicle. The accident was clearly not her fault and the other driver initially said, ‘I am so sorry, I don’t know what happened’. That changed to ‘I might have been hit by another vehicle which pushed me into you’. That finally changed to ‘you might have hit me’. Since it had been raining and there were no skid marks, the dolt State Trooper said he could not determine fault. Never mind there is damage on the car that clearly shows where he initially hit her. But I digress.

I am now installing dash cams in our 3 vehicles. A dash cam would have proven fault in the accident my wife was involved in. I have a relatively new 991.2 GTS (11/18 delivery), and I installed a Blackvue DS900S-2S in that car. Part of the installation is a device that will continue recording after the vehicle is parked. You can set the length of the additional recording time, and you can set system voltage to either 12.0v or 12.5v. The system shuts down when either condition, recording time or system voltage, is met. The problem is the GTS’s system voltage pretty quickly drops below 12v and the system shuts down in a few minutes. FWIW, when I’m driving the car the system voltage is somewhere between 14.2-14.4v.

What am am I missing here? The battery starts the car very quickly and briskly, and the battery has never been deep drained. My replacement CR-V will record for hours after the car is shut down.

thanks
Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not run dashcams off my car battery. What I do is connect my dashcam to something like this:

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...=5073937203237

The car charges the battery while driving. When you’re not driving there’s enough battery to run your dashcam for a day in parking mode. Plus you avoid the risk of coming back to a dead car battery when you have equipment failure and the dashcam doesn’t stop recording at the set low voltage.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:32 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR
When you’re not driving there’s enough battery to run your dashcam for a day in parking mode.
I can't get more than a half hour before the voltage drops below 12v.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:00 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

This isn't a direct help for you, but just FYI of an alternative in case long-term parking is important to you and you want to consider changing cameras.

I have a ThinkWare F800 and it will record overnight if I set it to use the low drain 1-frame-per-second mode instead of the higher-drain motion detection mode. It will still flag impact detection in either mode. I keep it in my truck parked outside when I don't have it in the car and use it as sort of an overnight house monitor. But it will also record in the car overnight with the voltage cutoff set at 11.9 volts (on the times I've left it in the car at night but I try not to leave it on in the car except when I'm parked while out at restaurants, shopping, events, etc.).

I don't think the BlackVue has a low power parking mode and you might need to get the $300 parking battery, Another nice thing with the ThinkWare is the voltage monitor and the max-duration timer is built into the software of the camera itself so no additional add-on is needed. The settings are controlled via a smartphone app The only negative with the ThinkWare is if you leave the volume on to get any of the alert sounds it can do with its computer-vision abilities (collision warning, departure warning, and/or lane-drift), it is awfully chatty on startup with no way to disable the startup sounds.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:38 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StormRune
This isn't a direct help for you, but just FYI of an alternative in case long-term parking is important to you and you want to consider changing cameras.

I have a ThinkWare F800 and it will record overnight if I set it to use the low drain 1-frame-per-second mode instead of the higher-drain motion detection mode. It will still flag impact detection in either mode. I keep it in my truck parked outside when I don't have it in the car and use it as sort of an overnight house monitor. But it will also record in the car overnight with the voltage cutoff set at 11.9 volts (on the times I've left it in the car at night but I try not to leave it on in the car except when I'm parked while out at restaurants, shopping, events, etc.).

I don't think the BlackVue has a low power parking mode and you might need to get the $300 parking battery, Another nice thing with the ThinkWare is the voltage monitor and the max-duration timer is built into the software of the camera itself so no additional add-on is needed. The settings are controlled via a smartphone app The only negative with the ThinkWare is if you leave the volume on to get any of the alert sounds it can do with its computer-vision abilities (collision warning, departure warning, and/or lane-drift), it is awfully chatty on startup with no way to disable the startup sounds.
Stormrune thanks for the insight. I have committed to Blackvue (have 3) so the battery may be my only option. There's a Memorial Day sale at The Dash Cam store which is 10% off plus free shipping which makes the Blackvue B-124 battery $270 so I might get it. I really don't need longterm monitoring. I'd say no more than a few hours as the GTS is not my DD and I just want to record the surroundings when I'm not around, for example in a store. The car will never sit out overnight so long term monitoring isn't needed. Don't understand however why the car battery dips below 12v so quickly however....
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR
I would not run dashcams off my car battery. What I do is connect my dashcam to something like this:

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...=5073937203237

The car charges the battery while driving. When you’re not driving there’s enough battery to run your dashcam for a day in parking mode. Plus you avoid the risk of coming back to a dead car battery when you have equipment failure and the dashcam doesn’t stop recording at the set low voltage.
Thanks N2B8TOR, might have to go to the external battery. But it just does not make sense the the GTS battery dips below 12v so rapidly.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:44 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Originally Posted by flickroll
Thanks N2B8TOR, might have to go to the external battery. But it just does not make sense the the GTS battery dips below 12v so rapidly.
I forgot to say I’m glad your wife is ok. A cracked sternum is no joke. Having said that this situation is why I have dual channel dash cams in all our cars.

I would definitely disconnect the dash cam and check your car battery voltage over night. I tested my own car battery and I don’t think it’s ever gone below 12V. Unless I was in the car with the ignition on (but engine not running) for at least 30 min messing around with my stereo. You need to rule out something in your car draining your battery so quickly, vs a bad battery.

Regarding the dash cam, if you don’t need parking mode recording I wouldn’t use it at all. Equipments will fail and someday it won’t shut down when voltage has dropped below its set limit. This usually happens at the most inconvenient time. Even if everything works I don’t think running the car battery down from 12.6v to 12v multiple times is good for your battery. You’ll prob need to replace your car’s $200 battery more often.

Regarding battery tester I love this little gem. Measuring voltage alone is not sufficient. This little gem is what you’ll need:

SOLAR BA9 40-1200 CCA Digital Battery and System Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZFNJ6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CeycBb9WACHZ4
Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I think the 991 battery is "alway on" checking the car's systems, which is why the battery gets drained faster than other cars. There are times when I go into the garage to get something and hear weird noises coming from the car (even if it has not been driven that day) - as if it is checking something. Either that, or its possessed.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:20 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think the 991 battery is "alway on" checking the car's systems, which is why the battery gets drained faster than other cars. There are times when I go into the garage to get something and hear weird noises coming from the car (even if it has not been driven that day) - as if it is checking something. Either that, or its possessed.
You can turn most things off by locking car w your key fob.

Quick Reply: 991 Battery Voltage