Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any 991 folks with prior AMG experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:43 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have some limited experience with AMGs after recently jumping into one but I did do a lot of research on them. Long story short, its pretty much the same experience as any high spec M or Audi RS car in terms of reliability and depreciation. They're generally reliable, particularly the V8 cars but when things break expect to write some big checks. I would not own one outside of warranty but with one, its no different from anything else in the class. Its no Lexus but take care of it and it'll be a no fuss daily for a long time.

I picked up this 2018 E63 AMG S as my daily a few months ago. I got it certified with less than 3000 miles on the clock and its under warranty till Dec 2023 and also came with a prepaid maintenance contract thru Dec 2021. Its my first AMG after a lifetime of M3s and I absolutely love it. Its got so much more attitude than the BMWs I've owned and never fails to bring a big silly grin to my face every time I start it up. Its ridiculously fast, well built and sounds amazing with the sports exhaust in its naughty settings.The interior design and materials are a massive leap over what I'm used to. There are a couple of downsides - the ride can be harsh for people expecting a flat out luxury cruiser and the fuel economy is a hilariously small fraction of the sticker. BMW definitely integrates all its technology better - iDrive is better in every way and feels like it was designed by the same people that designed the car. COMAND does all the same things but it feels a bit clunky and overcomplicated - almost like they outsourced it to a team that didn't really think about integration. As a counterpoint to my 991.1 GTS, I couldn't have found a more perfect opposite. It feels odd saying this about a car that originally had a $145k msrp but it feels like value next to a similarly specced Panamera which would be slower, more serious and more expensive to maintain and insure.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:12 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMG engines are amazing. My ex-6.2 was one of my favorite motors ever, and I think it was perfectly paired to the E-class for size and grunt. It was a superb muscle sedan. It didn’t turn all that well, but it surely roared. Another case in point: I chased down a new GLS 63 (with the 5.5L bi-turbo) on the A9 today just south of Leipzig. I passed him at about 220-230 km/h in my new GTS, but I actually had to work a bit to get by! The aero eventually just scuttled the big thing. But, man, what shove those AMG’s have. I’m extra proud now - my wife drives a GLS 63 daily in the US. I say buy it for the thrust.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I picked up this 2018 E63 AMG S as my daily a few months ago. I got it certified with less than 3000 miles on the clock and its under warranty till Dec 2023 and also came with a prepaid maintenance contract thru Dec 2021. Its my first AMG after a lifetime of M3s and I absolutely love it. Its got so much more attitude than the BMWs I've owned and never fails to bring a big silly grin to my face every
Good comments. I was a serial M-car buyer, loved them. But if I were buying a bad-*** people-hauler today I'd get an AMG E63 wagon and expect to love it. It has tons of attitude and a great Q-car.
I love my 991 but I'd like more noises like that the AMG 4.0 bi-turbo V8 provides. But, my AMG wagon thoughts are stymied as wife is now committed to sitting higher ... Rise of the SUVs.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 917k
Good comments. I was a serial M-car buyer, loved them. But if I were buying a bad-*** people-hauler today I'd get an AMG E63 wagon and expect to love it. It has tons of attitude and a great Q-car.
I love my 991 but I'd like more noises like that the AMG 4.0 bi-turbo V8 provides. But, my AMG wagon thoughts are stymied as wife is now committed to sitting higher ... Rise of the SUVs.
I think there's a GLE 63 AMG available imminently with the same drivetrain and interior. Never understood why the ladies all want SUVs. Wagons are at least as practical, better looking, more efficient, faster, better handling and lighter. Driving position's overrated if its in a objectively worse all round car.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:53 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Test drove a wagon last year.

Had been lusting after one for a long time. Very cool “sleeper” and I’d much prefer wagon over SUV. I miss my BMW 3 series X drive sport wagon - never should have sold it.

Was very underwhelmed. Handled like the heavy car that it is.

MIGHT consider a well cared for used car that has taken a bunch of the depreciation - but probably expensive to own out of warranty.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Test drove a wagon last year.

Had been lusting after one for a long time. Very cool “sleeper” and I’d much prefer wagon over SUV. I miss my BMW 3 series X drive sport wagon - never should have sold it.

Was very underwhelmed. Handled like the heavy car that it is.

MIGHT consider a well cared for used car that has taken a bunch of the depreciation - but probably expensive to own out of warranty.
BMW still makes the 3 wagon. Have you seen Douglas DeMuro's experiences w/ his 2 E63 wagons? Maybe the Panamera ST is more your street.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:03 AM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 917k
I am glad to hear this as I am will be getting one of these for my wife. She has a Benz wagon now and loves it. I would like more power and she is on board as she used to drive an M5 years ago when the kids were little ones, she is not into SUV's as we had several and the last time we had to buy a new car she said enough of that and we bot the Benz wagon. It looks like it will give my GT 3 a run for its money, can't wait!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:12 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

E63 wagon ftw. Better alternative to an suv if you aren’t into that.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
E63 wagon ftw. Better alternative to an suv if you aren’t into that.
or the Panamera Sport Turismo.

Quick Reply: OT: Any 991 folks with prior AMG experience?