Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any 991 folks with prior AMG experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Money wise, buying an AMG or about any high priced Merc for that matter is like buying a penny stock on the first day of a nosedive into the depths of earth’s center.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
Early 1990's, for sure... late 1990's saw a significant fall in quality as the company merged with Chrysler, but more critically they started building cars to price points rather than standards. Some say this was to deal with the competitive threat from the Japanese, I think they just lost their way. I've been really happy with my last 4-5 AMG vehicles and going back, even more, the CLS550 that I had years back was hands down one of most trouble-free vehicles I have owned. I've had 3 Range Rovers and a Jaguar XF-RS in the last 6 years, the latter went back to Jaguar after a month as a lemon. The Range Rovers (Tata and pre-Tata models) are mechanically reliable insofar as never leaving you stranded, but I have never had more annoying issues with cars (wiper squirter popping out repeatedly, lower control arm bushings leaking, supercharger pulley bearings, and on and on.) I vehemently disagree that Range Rover and Jaguar quality is good.

V12 engines... I really don't know what to expect. The VW Group is wholeheartedly embracing alternative power systems and I think that with Lamborghini we will see them shift to hybrid drivetrains. Porsche is clearly going there. Pre-dieselgate, I would have said that Lamborghini is insulated from the tidal shift that is happening, but I'm not so sure that is the case and, clearly, Ferrari is putting pressure on them on this front. Rolls Royce is an odd duck insofar as not being a performance vehicle or catering to a customer base that cares about virtue signaling, and they are certainly not having any issue selling cars. BMW is playing catch-up on a lot of fronts and you have to wonder what the macro-strategy is for the family of brands. Bugatti, hell they will do whatever they want to do and not give a damn about VW so I think it's safe to say the W16 is safe. Aston Martin is also still developing their V12 despite being 2 years into a deal with AMG to supply V8s.

I should amend my earlier statement, V12 engines will live on in boutique and bespoke vehicles but if we are talking about more than a 1,500 vehicles per year, I think it's safe to say that only Ferrari and Mercedes were doing those numbers with V12 models. What do you think?
You are more experienced w/ JLR as my family has only had two Range Rovers, one pre-Tata, one post-Tata. The pre-Tata one had water seeping into the trunk when going through a car wash. My aunt has had three RRs and two LRs, w/ one having engine failure. Our family has had multiple 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s MBs w/ engine problems w/ two 90s MBs. I agree w/ your views in general and specifically about V12s too.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 PM
weespeed
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Hold up, $1500 oil change on a cls63. That sounds like highway robbery.
Yup, I was like are you sure? They were yes it's a B service etc.. Oil change, air filter and more inspections is all they do.
I dropped it off thinking how much can an oil change be? Boy was I wrong when I went to pick it up..
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Isle in Dixie
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Had a 2007 E63. The 6.28L V8 NA engine that generated 507 HP was a blast to drive in a straight line. Enjoyed the car. Called it the smile machine as every time I got in the car, it made me smile. I had numerous issues with it. Had it towed twice out of my driveway. The rear air suspension failed and the entire rear dropped. Then the passenger side front air suspension failed and the front end dropped. If my memory is accurate, the rear suspension was $1,800 to repair while the front was $1,100. Traded it in for my first Porsche, a 997. We have had three MB's in total and had issues with all of them. I am done with the brand.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 606 Posts

I have owned several AMGs and they all have been very reliable . Having said that I will never own them out of warranty,
by the way that car is way over priced
I test drove an S65 sedan couple of years back with 1200 miles , it was a 2016 , and the MSRP was 240 some and they were listing for 160 K , and they were willing to deal.
I personally did not like the V12 engine rev , it just felt weird . The sound starting the car was nice
Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Look at this deal. Almost 1/2 off sticker for the absolute top of the food chain with 12K mile one the clock. Any thoughts about build quality, owning these out of warranty etc. They sure seem to depreciate like rocks.

http://www.cncexotics.com/detail-201...-17656515.html

Jim
Boy you can say that again, and why I was so quick to sell mine (C63S) after a short time of ownership. I am glad to have had the ownership experience as the motor in these cars are absolutely phenomenal, but that’s where it ended for me. I simply missed the smallness and precision of the 991, none of which the Merc was. The tranny was a complete turnoff, the car heavy, the steering more luxe than sport. Not knocking the car, it just wasn’t for me.

The apprehension of the secondary market on these cars is real, especially those whose warranties are close to expiry.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Isle in Dixie
Had a 2007 E63. The 6.28L V8 NA engine that generated 507 HP was a blast to drive in a straight line. Enjoyed the car. Called it the smile machine as every time I got in the car, it made me smile. I had numerous issues with it. Had it towed twice out of my driveway. The rear air suspension failed and the entire rear dropped. Then the passenger side front air suspension failed and the front end dropped. If my memory is accurate, the rear suspension was $1,800 to repair while the front was $1,100. Traded it in for my first Porsche, a 997. We have had three MB's in total and had issues with all of them. I am done with the brand.
I, too, had a 2007 E63, for 6 years. Mine was black on black, and it was indeed a "smile machine." That torque was amazing. Aside, I do almost all of the maintenance on my cars because I want to make sure the service gets done correctly, and I find it fun to learn and challenge myself. With that, my E63 had barely any issues. I think the only two issues it had were a damaged side view mirror which I replaced myself, and I repaired the trunk wiring at one spot in the harness as it gets abraded and cut around the trunk hinge pivot point. It's scary how spot-on accurate the description of the expected abraded wire damage was on the MBworld forum. For the suspension reliability issue, I was even prepped to order up some Beck Arnley airshocks for my E63 in case it ever developed leaky airbags (it never did). My belief was, I intimidated the MB enough to make it behave because I was not going to stand for any issues.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Boy you can say that again, and why I was so quick to sell mine (C63S) after a short time of ownership. I am glad to have had the ownership experience as the motor in these cars are absolutely phenomenal, but that’s where it ended for me. I simply missed the smallness and precision of the 991, none of which the Merc was. The tranny was a complete turnoff, the car heavy, the steering more luxe than sport. Not knocking the car, it just wasn’t for me.

The apprehension of the secondary market on these cars is real, especially those whose warranties are close to expiry.
This +
Old 05-31-2018, 10:33 AM
2FAST455
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping the AMG depreciation eventually catches up to the G65. I think that is the only AMG I would own long term out of warranty besides the AM General Humvee.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:15 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes Plenty.. SL65, E63 S W212, E63 6.2 L, and S63AMG. A handful of non AMG Benz's in between. My advice to you is never buy one.

They depreciate like rock, are unreliable true daily drivers (I drive 40k miles a year), and all the service centers want to rip you off.

If you want to treat yourself and have a truly great car inside and out and also have one of the best driving experiences every single day, get yourself any porsche product. If your budget does not allow for that, BMW's are also very reliable, extremely great daily drivers. This is from beating up on countless bmw's with 120k + miles and many cayennes of up and over 120k miles without a single problem to report.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

2 things here. No one wants a huge dirty white Car with a v12. ACV is probably 135. Diamond white probably 20 k more.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
Yes Plenty.. SL65, E63 S W212, E63 6.2 L, and S63AMG. A handful of non AMG Benz's in between. My advice to you is never buy one.

They depreciate like rock, are unreliable true daily drivers (I drive 40k miles a year), and all the service centers want to rip you off.

If you want to treat yourself and have a truly great car inside and out and also have one of the best driving experiences every single day, get yourself any porsche product. If your budget does not allow for that, BMW's are also very reliable, extremely great daily drivers. This is from beating up on countless bmw's with 120k + miles and many cayennes of up and over 120k miles without a single problem to report.
Out of 33 cars in my ownership experience, exactly one was a Mercedes ('14 E550 Cabriolet). Yes, with the V8, it was fast and the drop top set up was nice. However, nothing about the car was special. The handling was boring, fit and finish was just fair, materials in the interior were not particularly nice and the brakes were a joke. The ride was horrible on anything but the smoothest road. It is on my mistake list.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Out of 33 cars in my ownership experience, exactly one was a Mercedes ('14 E550 Cabriolet). Yes, with the V8, it was fast and the drop top set up was nice. However, nothing about the car was special. The handling was boring, fit and finish was just fair, materials in the interior were not particularly nice and the brakes were a joke. The ride was horrible on anything but the smoothest road. It is on my mistake list.
No AMG here...
Old 06-01-2018, 08:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw

No AMG here...
Well, it was as close as you could get to an AMG in an E Class coupe or cab. And the wheels said AMG...just glad its gone.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

There is a reason extended warranty co's won't touch the V12's with a ten foot pole. Just not worth it. Now a nicely optioned C63 with the 6.2 and the MCT (facelift), now they are GREAT daily drivers. And very, very solid cars. I've put many a mile on the couple I've owned and really loved them. Oh, and starting them up, pure joy. My 991.2 is just soooo boring when it comes to the noise it makes (or doesn't, for that matter).

Quick Reply: OT: Any 991 folks with prior AMG experience?