Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:39 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
991.2 base uses different brakes than S or GTS.
It uses the same setup as the 981 s/GTS , 718 S/GTS, and 991.1 3.4.
The front pagid pads for it are the 8074 ( and are listed for it on the Suncoast site ( under upgrades)
Found it. Thank you very much!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 03:55 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Buy consumables from FCPEuro.com. They do not carry Pagids (at least not for my 991.1 C2S), but I bought rotors and SRF from them.

They have a lifetime guarantee, which is amazing if you track your car
Old 08-11-2018, 12:17 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Another 6 (20 minute) sessions in the books! Ran the car at Autobahn on 08/06 and it was, predictably, great. Ended up changing over to ATE Typ200 brake fluid for now...car continues to run stock pads and tires. Tire wear seems to be pretty good and even at 30 PSI front 32 PSI rear (hot).

Running 08/23 at Blackhawk and likely 09/05 & 09/09 at Autobahn again. Really gotta get a Road America day on the books...

Also gotta take better pics...
Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed

Another 6 (20 minute) sessions in the books! Ran the car at Autobahn on 08/06 and it was, predictably, great. Ended up changing over to ATE Typ200 brake fluid for now...car continues to run stock pads and tires. Tire wear seems to be pretty good and even at 30 PSI front 32 PSI rear (hot).

Running 08/23 at Blackhawk and likely 09/05 & 09/09 at Autobahn again. Really gotta get a Road America day on the books...

Also gotta take better pics...
Good to see the car being put to good use Are you datalogging temps? From other posts, it seems the coolant and oil temps are well controlled even in stock form. I am very curious how intake manifold air temps look however. Based on available data, the intake manifold temps are well above ambient temps.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:24 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Good to see the car being put to good use Are you datalogging temps? From other posts, it seems the coolant and oil temps are well controlled even in stock form. I am very curious how intake manifold air temps look however. Based on available data, the intake manifold temps are well above ambient temps.
I haven't been taking much data at all, unfortunately. This is the first year where I've done this many track events in ANY car, so I am just now starting to look into Harry's Laptimer and other on-track tools. As far as the car's gauges go, the oil temp never seems to exceed 244* F. Even when it reaches that TMAX, it seems to come back down rapidly when the car is idling with its fans on, or during my cool down laps. Cannot recall coolant temp right now, but it has always been stable as well, although I admittedly pay less attention to this than the oil temp/pressure.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 630 Posts

I have been following with interest. Please keep sharing.

I'm doing a one on one track day on 26 Aug. The instructor hooks up his computer to read all sorts of telemetry. They even work out the best tyre pressure for your driving style.
My first track day was interesting to say the least. The 911 really is different from anything else I have owned. My tyre pressures were ridiculous for the first few session. I was sliding all over the shop.

I finally got it all together on the last session. I went down to 30 front and 34 rear. I was cautioned that last session everything gets colder as a longer wait before it. So i never went 29/33.

After the training day, I am thinking of running Nitrogen in the tyres. I ran it about 25 years ago and recall it was a pain in the butt. LOL But as the temps in the 911 tyres climb so high, I want to at least try it.

It is supposed to have a much smaller range from cold to hot. Example where Air may go from 33 to 46 in a session, the Nitrogen may only go from 33 to 37. So its more stable. Because of this you usually start a couple of PSI higher than normal as it won't rise as much when hot. Anyone have any experience with it? Its just a pain if you have to top up. I think I will only completely fill with nitrogen on track days. But between just top with air. You loose the effect. But only really important at the track.

I bought Pagid RSL 29, but they sent the wrong pad shape. So I have to wait for replacements to be sent. I changed to Castrol SRF and brakes were no longer my problem. I had boiled the stock fluid on a country run.

The last of my Elephant racing adjustable control arms are being fitted as we speak. Also my GT3 front and rear adjustable Anti-Sway bars. I have fitted the DSC V3 module. The Cup 2's are on. My ECU is in transit to COBB Tuning. Hoping to have it back at end of next week, or early to following week. Then I am set for a smoking training session with an instructor. (Modding the Driver is most important mod.)

The 911 is a fun toy. It rotates like no other car i have driven. With just half of the elephant bits fitted last time, I never experienced any understeer at all. My main thing was turning in a little too agressively and the front would bite and cause brake turn in Oversteer. I think too high of pressure was contributing to the loose rear end. I am hoping the anit-sway bars will make a difference and also getting used to and trusting the 911.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Forget the nitrogen. Learn to sense and work with the grip you have, which will vary over the course of a track session, over the course of a full track day, and over the course of a track weekend as tires wear down, and temperature and moisture conditions change. If the morning begins cool and the afternoon is very hot you will just be bleeding off $$$ nitrogen all day long to keep your tires in the right pressure range. Then you will need to refill for next day.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I have been following with interest. Please keep sharing.

I'm doing a one on one track day on 26 Aug. The instructor hooks up his computer to read all sorts of telemetry. They even work out the best tyre pressure for your driving style.
My first track day was interesting to say the least. The 911 really is different from anything else I have owned. My tyre pressures were ridiculous for the first few session. I was sliding all over the shop.

I finally got it all together on the last session. I went down to 30 front and 34 rear. I was cautioned that last session everything gets colder as a longer wait before it. So i never went 29/33.

After the training day, I am thinking of running Nitrogen in the tyres. I ran it about 25 years ago and recall it was a pain in the butt. LOL But as the temps in the 911 tyres climb so high, I want to at least try it.

It is supposed to have a much smaller range from cold to hot. Example where Air may go from 33 to 46 in a session, the Nitrogen may only go from 33 to 37. So its more stable. Because of this you usually start a couple of PSI higher than normal as it won't rise as much when hot. Anyone have any experience with it? Its just a pain if you have to top up. I think I will only completely fill with nitrogen on track days. But between just top with air. You loose the effect. But only really important at the track.

I bought Pagid RSL 29, but they sent the wrong pad shape. So I have to wait for replacements to be sent. I changed to Castrol SRF and brakes were no longer my problem. I had boiled the stock fluid on a country run.

The last of my Elephant racing adjustable control arms are being fitted as we speak. Also my GT3 front and rear adjustable Anti-Sway bars. I have fitted the DSC V3 module. The Cup 2's are on. My ECU is in transit to COBB Tuning. Hoping to have it back at end of next week, or early to following week. Then I am set for a smoking training session with an instructor. (Modding the Driver is most important mod.)

The 911 is a fun toy. It rotates like no other car i have driven. With just half of the elephant bits fitted last time, I never experienced any understeer at all. My main thing was turning in a little too agressively and the front would bite and cause brake turn in Oversteer. I think too high of pressure was contributing to the loose rear end. I am hoping the anit-sway bars will make a difference and also getting used to and trusting the 911.
Glad you are enjoying your car!!! I am finding this thing truly addictive to drive on track...my Cayman is basically around for rowing gears on the street now. As for the nitrogen, I find that basically every track I've ever been to has free air on site, and I don't really mind bleeding the tires and adjusting as needed. Since I haven't really run on a day with ambient temp less than 80* F, I generally start the car at 29 cold front, 31 cold rear...first two sessions I bleed off as needed. After that, the car more or less stays where I need it to be. As noted above me, I wouldn't bother with Nitrogen IMO.

Definitely agree that the nut behind the wheel is the most important component. This is why I am sticking to upgraded brake fluid and perhaps pads for a while...I also want to keep running tires similar to the stock PZeros, as I do not want stickier tires covering up my mistakes as a driver.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:24 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 630 Posts

I am chewing through the MPSC2. I may have to re-think this and get track wheels. More likely buy some pretty wheels and use the Stock wheels as track wheels.

I read an interesting thread that says if you get Hoosier R7 get 335/25 for rear, as they measure the same 305 as the Cup2's. Whereas if you get the R7 305/30 they only measure 285. That saved me some coin right there.

I will wear out the Cup 2's and either try TrofeoR next of the Hoosier R7. At least TrofeoR I can run on the street.

I think the Cup 2's are the perfect Street tyre. But they aren't enough on the track. The sidewall is a little soft.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I am chewing through the MPSC2. I may have to re-think this and get track wheels. More likely buy some pretty wheels and use the Stock wheels as track wheels.

I read an interesting thread that says if you get Hoosier R7 get 335/25 for rear, as they measure the same 305 as the Cup2's. Whereas if you get the R7 305/30 they only measure 285. That saved me some coin right there.

I will wear out the Cup 2's and either try TrofeoR next of the Hoosier R7. At least TrofeoR I can run on the street.

I think the Cup 2's are the perfect Street tyre. But they aren't enough on the track. The sidewall is a little soft.
have you tried Bridgestone RE71?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

have you tried Bridgestone RE71?
If I buy track wheels I'm dropping down to 19" and run the RE-71R. Better selection at 19" than 20" plus other benefits.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:33 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
If I buy track wheels I'm dropping down to 19" and run the RE-71R. Better selection at 19" than 20" plus other benefits.
Yup, this is likely what I'd do as well. But I want to run through 2 sets of the stock PZero to learn the car prior to making this move.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I took my 991.2 base Carrera for a track day at High Plains Raceway, outside of Denver and used the torque app to record a number of parameters.The highest peak boost I saw was 16.4 psi, which when added to the barometric pressure of 12.2 psi, yielded a manifold pressure of 28.6 psi.At sea level, of course, the baro pressure would be 14.7 psi and if you add the nominal 13.0 psi of boost, you would get a manifold pressure of 27.7, or essentially what I saw. So it looks like Porsche let's the engine develop more boost so that it can develop sea level power at altitude--more or less--at least at 5000 feet or so.

However, the boost gauge in the PCM only showed 13 psi. Apparently, Porsche doesn't allow this maximum reading to vary, to avoid confusion among the geniuses who buy their cars.

By the way, this was on a very warm day. According to the car, via the Torque app, ambient temperature was as high as 102 degrees and the highest intake air temp I saw was 171.

Fuel was standard premium, 91 octane in Colorado, from the nearest gas station. But the engine was making good power based on peak speed on the back straightaway and my lap times. However, the exhaust pipes were showing heavy white deposits, apparently impurities in the oil and fuel that precipitate at extending high temps.

Also, on that track day, the true water temp was around 221, according to the Torque app, while the PCM showed the usual 194. I was in Sport mode, but on the 100-degree day, the cooling system was unable to bring the temp down to the usual 185.Oil temp peaked at 246 degrees on Torque, but touched 260 on the PCM.

It would be nice, in general, if Porsche trusted its drivers with accurate instrument readings.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:33 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I took my 991.2 base Carrera for a track day at High Plains Raceway, outside of Denver and used the torque app to record a number of parameters.The highest peak boost I saw was 16.4 psi, which when added to the barometric pressure of 12.2 psi, yielded a manifold pressure of 28.6 psi.At sea level, of course, the baro pressure would be 14.7 psi and if you add the nominal 13.0 psi of boost, you would get a manifold pressure of 27.7, or essentially what I saw. So it looks like Porsche let's the engine develop more boost so that it can develop sea level power at altitude--more or less--at least at 5000 feet or so.

However, the boost gauge in the PCM only showed 13 psi. Apparently, Porsche doesn't allow this maximum reading to vary, to avoid confusion among the geniuses who buy their cars.

By the way, this was on a very warm day. According to the car, via the Torque app, ambient temperature was as high as 102 degrees and the highest intake air temp I saw was 171.

Fuel was standard premium, 91 octane in Colorado, from the nearest gas station. But the engine was making good power based on peak speed on the back straightaway and my lap times. However, the exhaust pipes were showing heavy white deposits, apparently impurities in the oil and fuel that precipitate at extending high temps.

Also, on that track day, the true water temp was around 221, according to the Torque app, while the PCM showed the usual 194. I was in Sport mode, but on the 100-degree day, the cooling system was unable to bring the temp down to the usual 185.Oil temp peaked at 246 degrees on Torque, but touched 260 on the PCM.

It would be nice, in general, if Porsche trusted its drivers with accurate instrument readings.

Yeah...I have read that the GT cars have more accurate instrument readings...
Old 08-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Yeah...I have read that the GT cars have more accurate instrument readings...
Clearly the car knows the correct values for the various parameters. The computer is programmed to feed the dumbed-down values tot he instruments. It would be nice if someone--perhaps Cobb--could include this reprogramming with their tune. Dialing in the speedometer would also be helpful.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!