Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.2 Carrera - Track Journal! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1068027-991-2-carrera-track-journal.html)

JAhmed 05-10-2018 04:42 PM

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Hey everyone

Just thought I'd share my recent track experience with my 991.2 Carrera, and hopefully chronicle future adventures here as well.

A little info on the car, which I acquired around 2 months ago:
2018 991.2 Carrera
Relevant equipment: PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono, RS Spyder wheels/factory PZero tires
Less relevant: 14 way seats + Premium, Bose, Sunroof

I bought this car with the idea that it would be my daily driver initially (which it is), but I was so curious as to how the 911 (and PDK) would behave on track, that I had to get it out on a road course. Now that I have, I find that I am a bit addicted to its performance, and will likely continue taking it on track...but more on that a bit later.

IMPRESSIONS:

This was my first time with this car on the track. I have never driven a 911 on track(other than some parade laps with a 991.2 GTS), nor have I experienced an automatic transmission of any type on track. My driving background is pretty underwhelming: a few years of autocross in various cars (Honda Prelude, Subaru WRX, my current Porsche Cayman GTS) and a bit of HPDE in the aforementioned cars as well. That being said, here is what I thought about the 991.2.

I felt that the car performed more or less as advertised. I have read many threads and watched many videos on the 991.2's track performance, and the car was incredibly impressive. Ambient temp was around 80* at a maximum the day I ran my car, and it ran rock solid for about 4x 30 minute sessions. The only variable I really adjusted was tire pressure throughout the whole day. I found that, especially compared to the 981, a "slow in, fast out" approach was a good way to start getting a feel for the car. I did find it to "push" more easily if I entered a corner too hot, and found it less forgiving in terms of correction compared to the 981. In broad terms, I find the corner entry and mid-corner performance of the 981 to be more predictable and satisfying. Corner exit, however, is a completely different story. It was incredibly satisfying to lay into the throttle shortly after the apex of each corner and just ride the wave of power and torque that the car produces. While I did elicit some tire squeal, the car never lost traction once...while part of this is definitely down to my personal inability to push the car to its limit, I think it still speaks volumes about the grip and traction on offer.

As far as the PDK goes, I think it is fair to say I AM HOOKED. I am a die hard 6MT kinda guy...or so I thought. Not ONCE did I touch a paddle during all of my time on track. The car was driven in Sport Plus Auto mode the entire time, and was incredibly predictable and intuitive. Literally as I would think to myself "Hmm...should probably drop one more gear", the car would do it on its own. I felt that this allowed me to focus more on my lines and corner entry (and giving point-bys to my buddies, 3 of which were running 991 GT3RS and have MUCH more track experience than I do!).

Finally, Cayman vs 911. Originally I bought my Cayman for the purposes of weekend & track duty. The Cayman is brilliant and satisfying on track, and I still feel as if there are very few moments of euphoria (for me, at least) that rival getting a heel-toe downshift just perfect. That being said, the 991.2s power and grip was certainly intoxicating, and I personally felt as if the PDK added to my enjoyment...not by virtue of being more involved, but by removing one layer of apprehension during my track sessions (will the next downshift go from 4 to 1? will I botch the next gear change with this RS bearing down on me? etc). After my experience today, I feel as if I will likely keep the Cayman (or replace with a 4.0/6MT 982 Spyder...fingers crossed) for 6MT pleasure drives on the street, while utilizing the PDK/Turbo 991.2 for turning laps and going to work.

As far as photos go...I am pretty weak on that front. I know there was a photographer on site taking pictures, and will attempt to get my hands on those...but in the meantime, here are 2 horrible pictures from my horrible cellphone!

All feedback and comments are welcome, and I look forward to more track days and reflections in the near future!!!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1c810dc3d0.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7fd4de8bc0.jpg

Mark993TT 05-10-2018 04:46 PM

Nice write up. Which Sport Chrono mode did you use, sport plus? And manual or automatic? Did you try PSM sport and PSM off?

JAhmed 05-10-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark993TT (Post 15000701)
Nice write up. Which Sport Chrono mode did you use, sport plus? And manual or automatic? Did you try PSM sport and PSM off?

Sport Plus, Auto, PSM Sport

stout 05-10-2018 05:06 PM

Thanks for the writeup—great to hear you had fun using your 991.2!

Another three-pedal devotee here, but PDK is very hard to beat on track. I never miss a clutch pedal on track, but I almost always miss it on the street.

awrryan 05-10-2018 07:02 PM

I’m also addicted. I bought mine as a daily driver. A few days after I bought it, a buddy called me and asked if I had any interest in tracking it. My first time was at Sebring and I’ve been addicted ever since. My fiance got a Range Rover and I’m using her Lexus GS350 now as a daily driver because, as much fun as this is, it’s not so daily friendly anymore. Pics with our daily drivers:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1cec563b9.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8ce4bf9e5.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c9b8de071.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d335fd9c8.jpeg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3c0a74981.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e60d43342.jpeg

JAhmed 05-10-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 15000741)
Thanks for the writeup—great to hear you had fun using your 991.2!

Another three-pedal devotee here, but PDK is very hard to beat on track. I never miss a clutch pedal on track, but I almost always miss it on the street.

Thanks Pete! I am with you on the manual...I don't think I'll be without at least 1 manual car at home, as driving a stick is just so fun...but for track use, I'm definitely a believer in PDK now...

Originally Posted by awrryan (Post 15000967)
I’m also addicted. I bought mine as a daily driver. A few days after I bought it, a buddy called me and asked if I had any interest in tracking it. My first time was at Sebring and I’ve been addicted ever since. My fiance got a Range Rover and I’m using her Lexus GS350 now as a daily driver because, as much fun as this is, it’s not so daily friendly anymore. Pics with our daily drivers:

Great looking car!!! Man...this is what I am afraid of...the bug has already bitten me...how long before I end up putting a harness bar and seat in my car as well...

computertom 05-10-2018 10:01 PM

Any comments on the brake pedal feel and changes over the course of the sessions?

Thanks for the wright up.

-Tom

tstafford 05-10-2018 10:01 PM

Love it. The PDK is basically perfect and I totally enjoy hearing about people enjoying the cars on the track. It's amazing what the 991 can do in track duty and still be a terrific DD. Almost perfect.

JAhmed 05-11-2018 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by computertom (Post 15001306)
Any comments on the brake pedal feel and changes over the course of the sessions?

Thanks for the wright up.

-Tom

Ah, I meant to include this in my original write up and forgot! The brakes were bone stock, including fluid. They were pretty solid during the first half of the day, as I was learning the car and wasn't pushing as hard. However, in the afternoon sessions, the pedal did get a little bit long toward the tail end of the session...think 5-7 mins remaining in a 30 minute session. I will say that I was trail braking more in the afternoon and playing around with braking later and my corner entries, so I wasn't really surprised. That said, I thought the brakes would fall off a lot quicker than my Cayman...I'd say the performance was similar. I do plan to change out to Castrol SRF before my next event in June.

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 15001308)
Love it. The PDK is basically perfect and I totally enjoy hearing about people enjoying the cars on the track. It's amazing what the 991 can do in track duty and still be a terrific DD. Almost perfect.

Thanks! Just drove the car around for errands today, and I am still fascinated at how the PDK is so seamless just cruising around, but how aggressive it is on track (especially with downshifts into the braking zones!). The PASM was also great...drove around some pretty broken pavement today and felt pretty comfortable...but remember the car being very predictable with JUST the right amount of roll on track.

John Mclane 05-11-2018 10:34 AM

June? What about RADE? That's a great track to go... south track on autobahn as well. Gingerman in August...

I like Blackhawk farms, but it's too flat and passing zones are quite a few. If the track is crowded, doesn't make for a as fun experience or as safe for that matter. Last time was like that, quite annoying as a guy tried to pass me as I was passing another driver. I saw in the corner of my eye and managed to avoid a collision. That was quite aggravating.

Your tires are still decently new. Be really aware with the temps on the P0s. Once you're more comfortable with the car speed, they can increase 10 psi easy in a single session. I started with 28 and I had to deflate 3-4 times. I was sharing the car, so there's the extra work on the tires.

Also, the rear pads will go very quickly. When not sharing, I keep PSM in sport mode, I'm not that brave to turn it off, that saves some of the pads but my partner kept the PSM on. SRF may be overkill with stock brakes and pads, even on a track like Blackhawk. Motul might be enough. I used my OEM fluid for the whole first year without issues.

It's a good group, always helpful. Shame the snow keeps us away for so long. I vote on covering and heating the whole track :roflmao:

stout 05-11-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15001181)
Thanks Pete! I am with you on the manual...I don't think I'll be without at least 1 manual car at home, as driving a stick is just so fun...but for track use, I'm definitely a believer in PDK now...

You're welcome, and agreed. If I was going to configure a new Porsche for 90-100% autocross, track, or autobahn use, it would be PDK.

That's where the GT4 Clubsport is pretty brilliant...

computertom 05-11-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by John Mclane (Post 15002191)
Also, the rear pads will go very quickly. When not sharing, I keep PSM in sport mode, I'm not that brave to turn it off, that saves some of the pads but my partner kept the PSM on. SRF may be overkill with stock brakes and pads, even on a track like Blackhawk. Motul might be enough. I used my OEM fluid for the whole first year without issues.

Can you share a bit more absout why SRF would be overkill? Figured it would be a “more is better” thing.

John Mclane 05-11-2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by computertom
Can you share a bit more absout why SRF would be overkill? Figured it would be a “more is better” thing.

Well, I'm cheap. The SRF is quite expensive. I tend to ignore dry boiling point, as virtually all brake fluids are wet upon opening the can. The SRF gives some 40-50F more wet boiling point, but you do need to deposit a lot of heat without cooling to take advantage of it. In this case, comparing to the also awesome Motul.

The 991.2 in whatever form, has a power/brake combo that is adequate for the car under "normal" DE use. Increase power or weight and the base brakes can become inadequate quite quickly. Unfortunately, the threshold between improved track car and unbearable DD is very narrow.

If money doesn't matter, SRF makes sense. Neither won't last long with track days. There's lots of opinions on the matter, but little objective information, so I'll won't bother to start that discussion. From a brake pad maker:

"""PAD FADE VS. BRAKE FLUID FADE

Pad fade
If the temperature between pad and disc gets too high, the pad starts gasses out, building up an air cushion between pad and disc. The pedal remains stiff, but the stopping power is reduced. Solutions are an improved cooling, change to a higher temp range pad material or a higher mass brake disc.

Fluid fade
If there is too much energy being transferred to the caliper and fluid, it can boil the fluid. These gas bubbles being compressible, the pedal travel increases and becomes "spongy" with poor modulation. (This is a gradual process with advanced warning). Solutions include: Changing brake fluid to one with a higher boiling point, using a different pad compound with better heat transfer properties, or improving the cooling to prevent the fluid from boiling.

The importance of keeping fresh brake fluid in the system and regular bleeding cannot be overstressed.""""

The PDK is awesome on its efficiency. Leaves me to drive the car. The 6 speed on the GT3/4 is sooo much more fun. IMHO it's the main sim missing on the parts bin Carrera T. As despair.com would say, if you can't learn to do something well, enjoy doing it poorly https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...g?v=1403276029

awrryan 05-11-2018 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15001181)

Great looking car!!! Man...this is what I am afraid of...the bug has already bitten me...how long before I end up putting a harness bar and seat in my car as well...

Thanks. Yours too. Love your wheels. It's a slippery (but fun) slope.... :)

JAhmed 05-11-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by John Mclane (Post 15002191)
June? What about RADE? That's a great track to go... south track on autobahn as well. Gingerman in August...

I like Blackhawk farms, but it's too flat and passing zones are quite a few. If the track is crowded, doesn't make for a as fun experience or as safe for that matter. Last time was like that, quite annoying as a guy tried to pass me as I was passing another driver. I saw in the corner of my eye and managed to avoid a collision. That was quite aggravating.

Your tires are still decently new. Be really aware with the temps on the P0s. Once you're more comfortable with the car speed, they can increase 10 psi easy in a single session. I started with 28 and I had to deflate 3-4 times. I was sharing the car, so there's the extra work on the tires.

It's a good group, always helpful. Shame the snow keeps us away for so long. I vote on covering and heating the whole track :roflmao:

Thanks for your input!!! I have some obligations that will keep me off track for the next month or so, but am planning to be back at Autobahn on 6/18.

I had a similar experience as you with tire pressures...also started out around 30 psi front, 32 rear...had to bleed them 3 times as I drove the car harder and harder and the ambient temp rose.

Castrol SRF is more out of habit than anything else...have used Motul RBF660 in past cars with great success, but have been buying Castrol lately. Will see what the best value is when I swap fluid now, but the easy button is Castrol for me. Thanks for the tips on the rear pads though...will keep an eye on them!!! Will be excited to try new pads after using these for a while.