Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 8 hours of detailing and Ceramic Coating...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:35 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkD14JHA...on_share_sheet

Thats what happens to mine when I wash it (its a video of my datsun, but same effect)
more pics of that awesome Z!!!!!
Old 12-25-2018, 07:54 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkD14JHA...on_share_sheet

Thats what happens to mine when I wash it (its a video of my datsun, but same effect)
After ceramic coating I find nothing else needed on it.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:44 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Bead Maker+++++ great product!
Old 12-26-2018, 04:45 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Congrats on your 911 and looks like you had a lot of fun and the results are fantastic
Old 12-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Blugsr600
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice

Where do you get your products from?
Old 07-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I put Kamikaze on my Macan based on the videos by Esoteric. I really wanted to love it. But so far I think it's just OK. I think the CQuartz coating on the MB looks better.
As a separate matter, give the Bead Maker a try in place of the cosmic spritz. It's like $12 for a 16oz bottle so it's not a big investment. I have one of the cosmic angel top coats and again didn't love it. So far Bead Maker is my go to. Give it a try! (I have no affiliation).
Yeah, I fell for the Esoteric marketing machine as well. Worst purchase was Polish Angel's Diver glass cleaner. 500ml for $60! It is full of alcohol and will basically turn your spray bottle into a flame thrower if you hold a lighter to it. They should have put a fire hazard label on it. Needless to say, it's just okay. No way near worth $60. I also used Kamikaze ISM and Rim coat. Both are just so so. When it came time to do my T, I ended up having a pro do it with IGL Kenzo. Night and day difference. Granted the cost is much higher and you have to have it done by a pro, but I wouldn't have skimped on the 911T anyway. In my opinion worth the money.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:39 PM
ReinhardtK
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks great! Did you add the 911T lettering to the engine grille? Is that the standard lettering available from Porsche?
Old 07-08-2020, 02:40 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

<rant>

Paint Correction. Ceramic Coating, blah-blah. I hear these terms bantered about all the time and as far as I'm concerning its 90% marketing or diva nonsense. I've been cleaning and waxing cars for over 50 years now, and pretty much know if you want to do it right, wash it, get the dirt off (clay bar), put on a coat of polish and then a decent topcoat of your choice, mostly wax. And if you maintain your car, you don't have to clay it very often.

So here comes an offer from Rennlist to buy a bottle of Armour Shield IX by Avalon King at $ 25 off. What the heck, I'll try it to see what its all about, the ultimate Ceramic Coating, right? Arrives in the mail a few days later and the packaging alone on this tiny bottle of product must account for ten bucks of the price, along with the very dramatic instruction guidelines. I guess Millennials enjoy an "opening experience" that us older guys could care less about. All that fancy packaging and directions went right in the trash. Lord. Fill up the landfill.

My Porsche gets Swissvax, so I'm going to use this unicorn juice on my Audi E-Tron and see how it does because there's 3x the sheet metal on that car vs the 991 and I don't want to hand wax the big Audi. Open up the bottle of this "Ceramic Coating" and it smells just like Rain-X, which is a polymer product that's been around since 1972 and its a hydrophobic silicone polymer. I do my "Paint Correction" or as us old farts say it - polish the car with $ 15 bottle Meguiar's to get off contaminants and put a bit of oil back into the finish.. Then I apply the hyper-expensive Amour Shield product and.....it goes on just like Rain-X, too. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like duck....it's probably a DUCK.

It looks nice when I'm done. Much easier than hand-waxing a high content Carnuba. But the Swissvax on my 991 has more depth of shine.

I like to use these polymer products on my commercial trucks and the larger SUV's I drive. They last longer for vehicles that sit outside, but they;re nothing magic or particularly impressive. For sure I will never buy another bottle of this Avalon King stuff, its way over-priced. There are plenty of these products out there for far less money. Don't get caught up in the hype.of "Ceramic Coating" and "Paint Correction", its all mostly bull**** as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Is it the term "correction" you don't like?
I definitely don't agree with what you've said regarding paint correction being a crock.
​​​​Especially with black and dark cars. Many do need compounding. Thus was our black Charger before and after paint correction.

Wax would have only covered some of the swirls. It needed correction.
**also not to say only black/dark cars need correction, but white and silver, etc are better at hiding the swirls. They're still there!

Last edited by SConn; 07-08-2020 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 03:32 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Is it the term "correction" you don't like?
I definitely don't agree with what you've said regarding paint correction being a crock.
​​​​Especially with black and dark cars. Many do need compounding. Thus was our black Charger before and after paint correction.

Wax would have only covered some of the swirls. It needed correction.
Absolutely 100% correct.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
<rant>

Paint Correction. Ceramic Coating, blah-blah. I hear these terms bantered about all the time and as far as I'm concerning its 90% marketing or diva nonsense .I
I agree. Millions of iterations and decades of validation and they are all wrong.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

HA! Yeah it probably is the term "Correction" which implies (to me) it was defective from the factory, as to "correct a flaw that was there from the beginning". Guess I prefer the word "restore" Splitting hairs, right?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:16 PM
SConn
Drifting

Paint restoration. It really does make more sense, doesn't it?
😁
Old 07-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh did I hear my (on-line) name? I tend to like to do at least a mild paint correction from time to time, followed by paint sealer. I have recently used Rupes polishes and polisher. I find that on most cars one can get the shine better than factory with some polishing even if no swirls are present. Yes, one is taking a petit amount of the clearcoat off but doing this prior to a sealant or wax (at least once or twice will improve the shine, reduce orange peal and also help to reduce dirt/grime attraction as it somewhat cleans the microscopic pores in the clear coat. On the 911 however the paint is not Bentley or Rolls quality as there are waves in the finish along the round-down below window sill, lateral rear fender curve or lateral front fenders. The roof, hood, tail and inner front fenders are decently symmetric though in my experience.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:17 AM
SConn
Drifting

Funny you mention Bentley. I just watched a video of a brand new Bentley (200 miles or so) go into a high end detail shop in Chicago that was absolutely jacked up!

In fact, I had to find it for you so you'd believe it:

Quick Reply: After 8 hours of detailing and Ceramic Coating...