Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 8 hours of detailing and Ceramic Coating...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Cleverland P car
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting , I appreciate the education. So from the description the decision to ceramic coat is essentially a decision to move albeit “almost “....... permanently to another platform of paint care and protection. I may have to reconsider I may have placed too high of a premium on optionality. Given the benefits .. thank you
Old 11-30-2018, 08:42 PM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure thing. Watch the videos (YouTube) on kamikaze ISM and Polish angel cosmic spritz or Kamikaze overcoat & try it on a car of yours. I think you'll come full circle to embrace this chemical technology. There is some inherent anti-swirl/scratch benefit in needing to "touch the paint less" given their unique properties.

I totally get where you were coming from. I have applied ISM to my 3 mo old C-GTS and also used cosmic spritz as a "stand alone" on my 20 yr old Rossa Corsa F355. Previously the Ferrari had only seen polymer & wax. That car is likely an all time keeper for me & I swear it looks best it ever has w cosmic spritz on it. Both ceramic coatings (like ISM) and glass coatings (like cosmic spritz) are like polymer on steroids. Maybe 10x and 3x the longevity respectively with great optical properties.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks great. I have never felt the need for wax over ceramic coating myself. Would liquids still just slide off?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:58 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Looks great. I have never felt the need for wax over ceramic coating myself. Would liquids still just slide off?
Yes in my experience with ceramic coating my show cars, it's unbelievable. I am a lot less paranoid about water spots and things being on the paint.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Not talking so much about water spots as rain, puddle splashes and stuff you want to slide off.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Cleverland P car
AutoX

I have to say I came to the discussion with several biases in regards to the coating phenomenon. So I assume a scratch or swirl is not taken out by removing/smoothing a portion of the clear coat with polisher but layered over with additional coating in a spray or using original application process?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:31 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Not talking so much about water spots as rain, puddle splashes and stuff you want to slide off.
Yeah, puddles and stuff basically slide off the car.

Originally Posted by Cleverland P car
I have to say I came to the discussion with several biases in regards to the coating phenomenon. So I assume a scratch or swirl is not taken out by removing/smoothing a portion of the clear coat with polisher but layered over with additional coating in a spray or using original application process?
Swirls/scratches are taken out with a polisher still, you prep the surface fully, then you apply the coating after all the paint correction if complete.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:42 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Looks great.

But it's only going to get dirty again.
So what's your point?

Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

The following is what I have do on all my cars and the results are spectacular without coatings. I will say the cars that I have seen with coatings are truly deeper and richer in color but at a cost.
  • Clay
  • paint correction
  • PPF full nose
  • Clearplex windshield
  • glaze
  • wax
  • wash
  • blow off
  • wipe with detailer
​​​​​​​
Old 12-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 713 Likes on 324 Posts

What bugs me about Autogeek/Autopia is that they're both owned by Palm Beach Motoring Group. So is Wolfgang and so is Blackfire. Not sure but Pinnacle might be as well. So it's kind of just a big racket. You have two forums, two websites etc selling several lines of products all owned by the same company. Something a bit disingenuous about it all imo.

I'm not sold on ceramic coating either as it's a bit permanent. For now I'll go the traditional route I've been going w/ my front end PPF, clay bar, Porter Cable (might step up to a Flex) new 210/110 Meg's combo and a good LSP. I may start using a ceramic spray wax like the new Meg's stuff. Seems easy enough to use, lasts several months reportedly, and is not permanent:

Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are 2 of our cars which were both coated when new (the 911 done with Ceramic Pro at the dealership, the MB done by me with CQuartz UK). This is after a simple wash 2 days ago and then an application of P&S Bead Maker to go on top of the coatings yesterday (which is a spray on, wipe off product that I've only recently become aware of and so far very impressed with. It creates the slickest surface I've encountered so far).

Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 PM
kikcaffine
Advanced

View this post on Instagram

Thats what happens to mine when I wash it (its a video of my datsun, but same effect)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:12 PM
kikcaffine
Advanced

And this is how I dry it:
View this post on Instagram
Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSdds
Sure thing. Watch the videos (YouTube) on kamikaze ISM and Polish angel cosmic spritz or Kamikaze overcoat & try it on a car of yours. I think you'll come full circle to embrace this chemical technology. There is some inherent anti-swirl/scratch benefit in needing to "touch the paint less" given their unique properties.

I totally get where you were coming from. I have applied ISM to my 3 mo old C-GTS and also used cosmic spritz as a "stand alone" on my 20 yr old Rossa Corsa F355. Previously the Ferrari had only seen polymer & wax. That car is likely an all time keeper for me & I swear it looks best it ever has w cosmic spritz on it. Both ceramic coatings (like ISM) and glass coatings (like cosmic spritz) are like polymer on steroids. Maybe 10x and 3x the longevity respectively with great optical properties.
I put Kamikaze on my Macan based on the videos by Esoteric. I really wanted to love it. But so far I think it's just OK. I think the CQuartz coating on the MB looks better.
As a separate matter, give the Bead Maker a try in place of the cosmic spritz. It's like $12 for a 16oz bottle so it's not a big investment. I have one of the cosmic angel top coats and again didn't love it. So far Bead Maker is my go to. Give it a try! (I have no affiliation).
Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 PM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that tip- yea I'll try bead maker when I finish the cosmic spritz. I just got the small bottle, but a little does go a long way IME.

Quick Reply: After 8 hours of detailing and Ceramic Coating...