Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to 991- opinions on this car please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

That's a cool build.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
PS what do you think about this build for a 991? I am using it for GT no track. Long trips to Montreal, Lake Placid and the like.. thanks
Excellent build! Blue over two tone leather with spasm! Sunroof delete icing on the cake! I don’t think the 4-way seats would support my back but that can be changed/adjusted later on so not the biggest worry there!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 306 Posts

Looks like a very nice build.
I'd miss the sunroof around town, but not at highway speeds and long trips like you are planning.
I'd get the Power Steering Plus software removed (deprogrammed), unless arm strength is an issue.
If you are offered good deal, go for it.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:25 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
There is zero safety or rigidity difference between a sunroof or non-sunroof 991. None. On the old 911's a sunroof delete would get you an extra half-inch of headroom and save 5-10 pounds at the top of the car, i.e. undetectable on a street car.

There's no reason to go sunroof or non sunroof other than personal preference. Which is not to denigrate personal preference -- after all the reason we drive these cars is because we're really just 10 year olds making vroom vroom noises and having fun, so if sunroof delete gives you a better vroom-vroom feeling, then do it.
Unfortunately, we still have people that want to sound smart, feeling they should work for Porsche, and go off on major differences between P-car full roofs, ragtops, and cutouts..

There is a reason, for example, that my Cabrio weighs 150 lbs more than a Coupe. It's not the top. Chassis stiffening has been so commonly done that you basically have to know nothing about cars in general to keep spewing this old line.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
There is zero safety or rigidity difference between a sunroof or non-sunroof 991. None. On the old 911's a sunroof delete would get you an extra half-inch of headroom and save 5-10 pounds at the top of the car, i.e. undetectable on a street car.

There's no reason to go sunroof or non sunroof other than personal preference. Which is not to denigrate personal preference -- after all the reason we drive these cars is because we're really just 10 year olds making vroom vroom noises and having fun, so if sunroof delete gives you a better vroom-vroom feeling, then do it.
Originally Posted by HD2pct
Unfortunately, we still have people that want to sound smart, feeling they should work for Porsche, and go off on major differences between P-car full roofs, ragtops, and cutouts..

There is a reason, for example, that my Cabrio weighs 150 lbs more than a Coupe. It's not the top. Chassis stiffening has been so commonly done that you basically have to know nothing about cars in general to keep spewing this old line.
Re: "We still have people that want to sound smart..."
Hey... cool... thanks for gathering up both of the best examples in a single post for us!

But in all seriousness... here is an article on the subject: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/sun...ce-and-safety/

Last edited by StormRune; 05-21-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Looks like a very nice build.
I'd miss the sunroof around town, but not at highway speeds and long trips like you are planning.
I'd get the Power Steering Plus software removed (deprogrammed), unless arm strength is an issue.
If you are offered good deal, go for it.
Thanks Guys. I am waiting for a quote on the car. I will get the Power Steering plus removed. I have heard that before. I would like to get better seats. How does one switch them out? Is matching the leather a problem?
I would like the 14 way or 18 way seats if possible. It might cost an arm and a leg though,
I will let you know the price when I get the quote. I have to check for over revs too.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:54 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the 4 way seats, way better than the 14 ways for me

give them a shot.

nice build imo, big spasm fan

Quick Reply: Moving to 991- opinions on this car please?