Sponsored by:

"The 991 is a fat pig..."

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
The seemingly impossible trick Porsche has pulled off is getting us to pay massive amounts of money for every aspect of their little technological revolution. Borderline insanity.
Genius, I think you mean.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Here you go.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Get a bucket...

Holy Crap!!! Why!!!! for heaven's sake....why would there be a pink 911. Pink 911 is a pig which in my book just doesn't "fly".

Looks like permanent advertisement for Pepto Bismol . Even my Missus saw these pics...she was like WTF WTF....She even told me, if she ever saw me driving one in this color, that she would have me sleep in the dog house till the car was sold or the color changed.

Seriously, this color makes me hurl.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:40 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
I recently purchased a C7 Corvette as a daily driver. The 991 Turbo is going to be more of a weekend car and not something I drive to the office anymore. I don’t think of the 991 as a “large” car, but it is significantly bigger than the C7 Vette is in every way, every dimension.

Not a “problem”, but it did surprise me, I didn’t know that before purchasing the Corvette.
You're sure it's "significantly" bigger? The C7 (base) is a lower car but in length and width it's almost identical to a 991 Turbo down to a few mm.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I have a 991, a 993, and an early 911. The 991 is not fat, but it is large. Very large. Too large. I love it, but if there's one thing I would change it is the size, and it's high-waistedness. My early car and 993 are like driving an extension of your hands. The 991 feels like a sedan.
Have you driven a sedan lately?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I recently purchased a C7 Corvette as a daily driver. The 991 Turbo is going to be more of a weekend car and not something I drive to the office anymore. I don’t think of the 991 as a “large” car, but it is significantly bigger than the C7 Vette is in every way, every dimension.

Not a “problem”, but it did surprise me, I didn’t know that before purchasing the Corvette.

That seemed odd, so I had to look it up. They're in fact identical in length (C7 shows .1 longer than a 991 Carrera) and the Vette is 2" wider (than a C2). I think what you're feeling is the tighter cabin which gives a smaller impression (though that long hood seems to me like it'd make any car feel larger). Though, when it comes to driving, impressions and sensations matter most to be honest, so if it "feels smaller" than truly, in some ways it "is" smaller where it counts.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:18 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
You're sure it's "significantly" bigger? The C7 (base) is a lower car but in length and width it's almost identical to a 991 Turbo down to a few mm.
we were trying to figure out how best to fit them both in the garage at the same time and literally got out a handy measuring tape and measured them both. The 911 was bigger (I should not have used the word significantly). As it’s also taller it really looks much bigger in person. This equates to way more space and general comfort on the inside, which I like just fine. But again, I wasn’t expecting it to be bigger at all. I was surprised that it was.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:37 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Genius, I think you mean.
On their part yes, not ours...
Old 04-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I just came out of a C7 Z06. The interior spaciousness (front seating and immediate area) in my .2 GTS feels about the same as the C7 (both on the snug side), but the useable space in the rear of the C7 make that car feel every bit as large, if not larger, than the 911. I'm sure the 911 has as much space behind the front seats and in the frunk as the Vette, but it's just not as easy to access and utilize. C7 was definitely lower, but it felt also a little wider.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

I like my friend just fine—and I like having friends who say it like they see it, especially with humor.

After laughing, I appreciated his (rather colorful) comments on the 991 because they reminded me of how some people perceive the car (as did I from time to time before the .2 shrunk the driving experience) and also got me thinking about how impressive the 991 really is. The 991 "reads" big in some ways, but then I remembered he was throwing rocks from his 996 Turbo (even if he wasn't in it that day). And, both in terms of its size against a 996 or 996, it really isn't that big, or heavy. If anything, the 991 represents a better use of space and impressive weight savings initiatives given the amount of systems, materials, and equipment on board compared to various 996s and 997s.

And the 991's wheelbase and back seats are what got me over the hump...along with how large today's sedans and sedan-based coupes are. If I look at an M4 or GT350, the 991 looks not only compact, but genius in terms of packaging. Much like the 996 did when you compared it to a 645i back in the day. To my shock, they had roughly similar interior space, but one was a "bit" larger than the other...

Anyway, I started this thread more as a conversation starter...it only gets more interesting when you plug other 991.2s or 997s or 991.1s etc into the specs.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:16 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
Modern cars are big. It’s a result of government regulation. Blame lawyers, Ralph Nader and the people who want to demonize large corporations, Some of you probably voted for the politicians that push this crap and CAFE standards so it’s your fault too. Porsches are daily drivers to me and a daily driver needs to be new and reliable. There aren’t too many new reliable daily drivers that aren’t large, Porsches are actually some of the lightest out there. So, I don’t have a problem with Porsches being a little larger. I do have a problem with Ferraris being large because they shouldn’t be daily drivers. That’s why I have the last of the small Ferraris, a 355. The 360 doesn’t weigh more but it is big. It’s similiar to 996 vs 991. The material of construction enabled them to build a larger car that weighs the same.

All these dum dums that vote for the party of government regulation will soon have you driving 5000 pound Tesla too. The government wil pay you $7500 to buy a $100k car that will save you a couple thousand in gas. It’s truly an age of dummies we live in. That’s why you can’t have a new small Porsche.
Omg, thank you, I DO need to call my parents...
Old 04-29-2018, 11:10 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

For me one of negatives of the 991 is its size. Even though 991 is hardly a pig, I hope it was little smaller. My 928 gts was about same size and it was a really heavy feeling car compare to 991 or other 911 I owned.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Just an observation, but it seems to me that somewhere along my time here in the world (74 years) it has gone from a "that's not for me" world to a "you are an idiot for having that" world. Whether it is the model of the car, the type of exhaust system, the transmission, the color or just about anything else.... we had plenty of discussion about the attributes, value, or desirability of something but never to such a "nasty" or personal level as it seems to occur now more and more ... guess it just he way of the world .....
I agree, and it's pretty sad. In my opinion we have the internet to thank for that. Its that sense of anonymity it gives which really brings out the worst in some people.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is only your impression as the data do not bear this assertion out (actually 991 is 3" narrower in Base):
991 C7 delta
Height 51 48.6 2.4
Length 177 177 0
Width 71 74 -3
Weight 3175 3444 -269

I do agree that inside - the 991 *feels* airier / bigger. That's why I chose it as I'm tall.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Everything after the 964 is a "fat pig" by 911 standards. However, compared to its competitors, the 911 is one taut car.
Ironic that you would say everything after the 964, as it was the heft—both real and perceived—that prompted the famous "Light Stable Agile" report by Peter Falk, which led to the 993. The engineers worked hard to make the 993 lighter than the 964, and they succeeded in making the 996 lighter than the 993.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
We may crab about the weight but Porsche has done a great job of adding performance without adding weight. As for the people crabbing about all the Gov regulations, I do also, I know which car I would want to be driving in an accident and it isn't a 993 or older Porsche.
This.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
As for the people crabbing about all the Gov regulations, I do also, I know which car I would want to be driving in an accident and it isn't a 993 or older Porsche.
Yep.

A few years ago, these videos prompted me to rethink what I drive every day—and will pay for, especially in light of what I pay for in healthcare each month! When it comes to safety technology, each generation can make a big difference. I'm not ready for a Volvo XC90 just yet, and I'll still drive a vintage Porsche from time to time, but the 991 represents a far more attractive bet in today's world of distracted drivers than many of my previous choices.

Chevy vs Chevy

Modern compact vs Volvo 940

Last edited by stout; 04-30-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Ironic that you would say everything after the 964, as it was the heft—both real and perceived—that prompted the famous "Light Stable Agile" report by Peter Falk, which led to the 993. The engineers worked hard to make the 993 lighter than the 964, and they succeeded in making the 996 lighter than the 993.

This.

Yep.

A few years ago, these videos prompted me to rethink what I drive every day—and will pay for, especially in light of what I pay for in healthcare each month! When it comes to safety technology, each generation can make a big difference. I'm not ready for a Volvo XC90 just yet, and I'll still drive a vintage Porsche from time to time, but the 991 represents a far more attractive bet in today's world of distracted drivers than many of my previous choices.

Chevy vs Chevy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

Modern compact vs Volvo 940
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emtLLvXrrFs
I meant in terms of size, not weight.

Quick Reply: "The 991 is a fat pig..."