Sponsored by:

How is a warrantied 2012 not covered by Porsche? Crosspost - 991 fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Wow that’s incredible, I’m sorry brother. I would think your video evidence of smoke billowing out of the engine compartment would help your case. Can’t really see them flat out denying without further investigation. Can we get some more details from you? What steps did you take? Who did you talk to? What did they say?
I contacted ins co on scene and started the claim for tow and transportation. Showed my service dealer the next day and they took care of the car rental for me.

The ins adjuster has contacted me to collect details. It seems to be going ok so far....
Old 04-28-2018, 06:27 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

Not to change the topic, but I agree. My car has a fire extinguisher. And, after seeing this, I would wonder why I would want to stop a fire, and have a half burnt to the ground car? ( If someone was in it.. then that’s different.)
I consider the factory fire extinguisher in my GT4 to be nothing more than eye candy and a conversation starter
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

Yep, I have one too and its cool, but I would never undue the clasp. A wise man once said, "if its is on fire, let it burn".
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Glad you are unhurt and so sorry to see your car was destroyed. It's actually better destroyed than burned just a wee bit and then repaired. I hope you get a fair settlement and you get back into another 911. I don't know how you had the guts to get that close to the car before the flames burst out in order to capture that video. Even that smoke looks pretty darned toxic. It's strange now that I think about it: I ticked the box on my last build for the fire extinguisher. It sits there just ahead the passenger seat and now I wonder under what conditions I would actually use it...
Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Being that the car is a 2012 it would have been at the extreme limits of any official Porsche CPO coverage, but you also use the phrase "the car was under an extended warranty that covered (specically) the engine". That doesn't sound like a Porsche CPO warranty. What is it?

​​​​It's also not clear if anyone has determined a cause, so things like road debris punctures (there was a thread about that recently) or a mistake in maintenance could be to blame. Has a cause been determined? There is another burned car thread here on the forums and it was determined to be caused by a mechanic leaving a rag in the engine compartment. Has there been recent maintenance on the car? Maybe a mechanic left something loose.

I don't how you can leap to expecting Porsche to cover something when no cause has been determined (to my knowledge)... especially if it isn't under their warranty (see question 1 above). I know you are upset, but it would probably be prudent to wait for some facts to come to light before leaping to conclusions (unless you have them and didn't mention them yet).

Please let us know if you have or get more solid information. Sorry for you loss... she looked like a beauty!
??? The car could have been sold CPO a day, week, month or year prior to the fire. Cause??? Cars are not supposed to spontaneously combust. I believe the onerous would be on Porsche to show cause and say not covered. Is he making Leaps" or you?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh

Agree with the others that this is an insurance issue and the insurance company may decide to go after Porsche if they can prove it was something they should be responsible for. But warranties don't cover fires, generally.

But what does decline mean? You used it twice. You declined what? Not driving as you were clearly on the road, so what does it mean?
Lol, warranties don't cover fires? Rennlist legal advice or just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night? Wouldn't it depends upon how the fire starts? Does it seem that they are declining because he kept driving after a warning light? If so, would the relevant inquiry not be the type of warning light, the extent the light was on and the catalyst of the failure? I would opine the number would be staggering of those of us throughout the years that have driven with yellow warning lights and even for a short period of time on the more serious red flashing or pull over immediate type of warnings.

I would be interested in the cause, but dude has said too much and the wrong things on here for purposes of legal action. I would fire him if he was my client. This would be pretty easy to make Porsche pay if dude did this the correct way and had a lawyer worth a crap . . . which 90 percent are not . . .
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You know why you have fire extinguishers in your track-capable car? As a veteran of over twenty years on the track, its not to put out the fire in your car - its to put out the guy in front of you that just went off and is leaking fuel or perhaps just started to catch fire. You're not doing it to "save the car" either, you do it so you can get the guy out of the crash so he doesn't burn up. You guys buy 'em because you think they look cool? Seriously?

How many of you have ever been in a crash at the track where fuel is leaking over you as you struggle to get out of a car where the door no longer works? I have been in that position (violent crash at T3, Summit Point with B-Group Student into the tree line). You know how far away the corner workers are? The cars right behind you are there in seconds vs the track rescue trucks which arrive in 2 minutes. You catch fire and you are dead in well less than 2 minutes, especially with no Nomex. When you crash that hard you can't even get to the extinguisher in your own car, you can't reach it.

I always had a mounted fire extinguisher in my car on my roll bar for that reason. During a severe crash of another car on the track ahead I would roll up right behind them, get out and have my extinguisher in hand. About 10 seconds. That's why you have extinguishers in your track car.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

Glad no one was hurt.

Quick Reply: How is a warrantied 2012 not covered by Porsche? Crosspost - 991 fire