Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P zeros vs Michelin PS4S again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess higher speeds are a bit relative but at 165mph my brand new MPS4S handled rock solid.
Did not want to take it much faster because I am still running the car in. ;-)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:22 PM
thebrit86
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally thought my PZeros were lethal in my C4. The car was very unstable, almost nervous. For me it was so bad that I briefly considered selling the car but I thought it wasn't for me and that I should go back to a Cayman S. BUT lucky would have it and I picked up two nails in the rear tires forcing me to replace them.

After reading reviews I went with Michelin Pilot Sports or what I should say is a tried to buy them. The local shop I used couldn't get them but recommended that I spend the extra money and get the new MPS4S instead. They mounted the tires and I couldn't believe the difference they made. Personally I thought the car was quieter, rode better and had a lot more grip especially in the wet which is often here in the PNW.

I couldn't recommend MP4S more, they honestly made me fall in love with my car. We used to be a pirelli tires family, with their tires on my Touareg and motorcycles. Moving forward I'm buying Michelins for everything.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

That last sentence of your original post really resonated with me. Solve one problem by adding another then move on to the next experiment or toy lol.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
My observations are wrt lightly used P zeros versus new Michelins. Maybe the P zeros deteriorate as they age and get noisier. I don't know.
The other thing I noticed is that the Michelins seem to want to follow grooves in the pavement. If I recall correctly, C&D had similar observations.

And here is the link. I think this is an excellent review of the tires.https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-test-feature
I replaced the rear P Zeroes on my car at around 14k miles. At the time the rubber was not quite down to the wear indicators but close (sorry for not providing an actual measurement).

The Pirellis on the front still had plenty of treat left so I decided to replace the rear with new P Zeroes and perhaps replace them all with Michelins at the next tire change.

I noticed that on the new P Zeroes the car was significantly quieter. It was quite noticeable. I do believe these tires get noisy as they wear.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

My PS4S this weekend on a mini Auto-X with a fairly loose surface.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 PM
watchrabbit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that the Michelins handle awesome at over 190mph (on a dry Autobahn of course). :-)
Old 04-25-2018, 04:02 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 403 Posts

After several drives, my initial impressions are unchanged. Tire roar at highway speeds are not alleviated at all with the Michelins compared with the new P zeros I had on the car. The ride is much better on cracked backroads but on the highway it is the same. A shame really because after an hour or two on the highway, I need a large scotch and a nap. I think narrower tires with 19 inch wheels would be better suited to this car if it is to be used for touring.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Or maybe take the nap and the large scotch before the trip.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:25 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Or maybe take the nap and the large scotch before the trip.
I am not one to condone drinking and driving even with an intervening nap. And one large scotch becomes two and before I know it, it is time to go to bed.
Maybe a scotch or two prior to reflecting on the ride offered by the Michelins is appropriate. I am sure it (the ride) gets better in my mind with each scotch. After all, I have to justify the 1.8k it cost me to do the premature swap.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
After all, I have to justify the 1.8k it cost me to do the premature swap.
Take your car on the track. It's all the justification you'll need.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:07 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Code
Take your car on the track. It's all the justification you'll need.
Not a track guy. Even if I was one, I am sure The Pzeros would have done fine. The car and tires have more talent than I do.
I have plenty of very nice, twisty backroads and the Michelins are better there after several longish drives. As I mentioned earlier, they shrug off imperfections in the pavement far better than I recall with the Pirellis.
Highway driving is a disappointment I have to admit. I did exchange a very low mileage 2013 Boxster S, a very fun car on backroads, for a GT car. I thought I could do longer drives in the 911. Did one long one to VT with my wife last summer and she was not too thrilled with the noise and ride quality. Oh well. She never liked any of my sports cars including my 1994 Miata. That was a fun car on backroads.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Saw another Oak Green 991.2 this weekend past, and it was on the Michelins. Not sure what to say about performance, but the Michelins sure look better. The sidewall height, simplicity, and contours are just better looking to these eyes. YMMV...
Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 PM
watchrabbit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the Pirelli are mighty fine tires. Michelin are probably better, but let's face it, Pirelli is for a reason one of the main OEMs for most super sport cars. I think the most significant increase will be felt when swapping old tires vs new ones, and AnanD's experience shows that new vs new the advantage is much less pronounced. It's not like the P0 is a 3rd world tire...
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 PM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Agree
Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by watchrabbit
I think that the Pirelli are mighty fine tires. Michelin are probably better, but let's face it, Pirelli is for a reason one of the main OEMs for most super sport cars. I think the most significant increase will be felt when swapping old tires vs new ones, and AnanD's experience shows that new vs new the advantage is much less pronounced. It's not like the P0 is a 3rd world tire...
This

Quick Reply: P zeros vs Michelin PS4S again!