Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P zeros vs Michelin PS4S again!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts
Default P zeros vs Michelin PS4S again!

I went to the dealer today to swap my 19 inch winter wheels and tires for my summer wheels. Had also decided to dump the P zeros N1 that came with the car (with ~3000 miles) for the Michelins. My main complaints with the Pzeros were excesive tire roar on the highway and impact harshess. So did the Michelins magically transfrom my car into a Lexus? Answer is no.
I wasn't expecting a huge improvement in noise and from what I can remember from last summer, the Michelins are probably about the same. There is a fair amount of tire roar on the highway and if there is any reduction in noise, I can't discern it.
Improvement in ride quality on the other hand is noticeable but again it is not a huge difference nor did I expect it be be. So in conclusion, it was an expensive experiment. The Michelins are supposed to be better in the rain and better able to withstand colder temperatures that we encounter here in the NE during the spring and fall. So I have take consolation in that.

I think I need a louder exhaust (my car sounds rather timid) to drown out the tire roar and then once I have an extremely loud car, I can complain some more and sell it.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

As expected. Good observations. You should list-up the PZeros for sale as a paid RL Member.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Interesting because I mounted Michelins 4S recently, and I find the ride less jarring and I think the cabin is a lot quieter. I am happy with the change and find the differences quite noticeable.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:21 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
As expected. Good observations. You should list-up the PZeros for sale as a paid RL Member.
I couldn't lug the tires because I am recovering from shoulder surgery. Gave them to the parts guy in exchange for storage time for my winter wheels and tires.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Interesting because I mounted Michelins 4S recently, and I find the ride less jarring and I think the cabin is a lot quieter. I am happy with the change and find the differences quite noticeable.
My observations are wrt lightly used P zeros versus new Michelins. Maybe the P zeros deteriorate as they age and get noisier. I don't know.
The other thing I noticed is that the Michelins seem to want to follow grooves in the pavement. If I recall correctly, C&D had similar observations.

And here is the link. I think this is an excellent review of the tires.https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-test-feature
Old 04-21-2018, 03:27 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 04-21-2018, 05:30 AM
watchrabbit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you guys are all over the Michelin vs. Pirelli but as you can see in the C&D test, Contis are unbelievable good. Same goes for winter rubber. Here in Germany, Contis usually score among the best in both summer and winter categories. They are usually not winning the most categories but are in the first 3 in all subtests.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy that my new Targa 4S came on Michelins but on other cars, I have been extremely happy with Continental.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by watchrabbit
I know you guys are all over the Michelin vs. Pirelli but as you can see in the C&D test, Contis are unbelievable good. Same goes for winter rubber. Here in Germany, Contis usually score among the best in both summer and winter categories. They are usually not winning the most categories but are in the first 3 in all subtests.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy that my new Targa 4S came on Michelins but on other cars, I have been extremely happy with Continental.
I rode in back to back 911's with contis and it was unbelievably unstable compared to the p zeroes.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:25 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Tire pressures probably make the most difference in tire comparisons! I like the CD test charts above, pretty controlled environment! For those that track, that is the real test of performance. But for street, it is very subjective. Type of pavement you most commonly drive on (asphalt vs concrete), and wet or dry conditions, etc are a big factor! I personally love
Conti but would not be unhappy w a new set of tires per above!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not dumping my current new P Zeros but no doubt I'll be buying the 4S when the P Zeros wear out. I've run through a few sets of PSS before and really liked them in all conditions. The 4S is better in every catagory.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:56 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 163 Posts

My car came with Pirelleli P-Zero N1. So far so good, but only 1400 miles.
I've 'heard' the N1 spec is better than the previous N0 spec.

I just purchased a second set of Centerlock wheels and ordered a set of Michelin PS 4s.
Once installed, I will compare back and forth to see if I can discern any difference.

The PS4S were delivered yesterday, received within 24-hours of order placed from TireRack.com.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

I will add one more data point. I went for a long drive on a favorite 50 mile loop, all backroads with posted speed limits ranging from 35-55 mph. The roads are just recovering (as am I) from a northern New England winter so lots of cracked pavement, undulations, potholes etc. The Michelins were very impressive on this drive. The tires absorbed the impacts from the broken pavement remarkably well with little if any harshness transmitted into the cabin except on the very roughest of surfaces where the structure of the car was buzzing a bit. I don't remember my P zeros being this good at absorbing imperfections in the pavement.

Also, the dealer charged me 200 bucks for mounting and balancing the wheels and they did a very clean job. No junk was left on the tires, the wheels and the tires were cleaned well prior to installation. They do a very professional job but of course they are pricey.

Last edited by AnandN; 04-21-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Seehack
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed from PZeros to PS4 around 10kmiles recently to reduce road noise. Road noise did not improve but ride is better. I would change to Conti if the sizes are available. I am very happy with the Contis on my BMW 650.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 PM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front PZeros 14k, rear 4K. New ps4’s. More life on pzeros but sure glad I changed. New tires plus upgrade, for me, transformed the car, like pressing sport +. For my untrained street driving, the car was more responsive with no more understeer at same cold tire pressures of 30/34. Just posting to encourage the upgrade. Life to short to drive on old tires.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Noticed that in the first few hundred miles on the 4S', handling at higher speeds seemed iffy. Felt more steering wheel shaking at around 70 -80 mph than I ever felt before. Was wondering if the alignment was off (even though an alignment was done when new tires were mounted). Remembered postings here that new tires need to wear in for around 500 miles. Decided to "see what happens." Passed the 500 miles mark on the new 4S' and cruising at 70 -80 mph now feels fantastic. All the steering wheel shimmy I felt before is all gone and riding on the new Michelins is just awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P zeros vs Michelin PS4S again!