Sponsored by:

Centric Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 13mit
Sounds like you didn't break them in properly...I did my rotors + pads with OEM last year and experience no squealing at any speed.
Not sure who that is directed towards, but I acquired my Carrera pre-owned with factory brakes that had some miles on them. No amount of performing bedding procedures would alleviate the squealing. In fact, early 991 base front brake pads were replaced with a revised part number due to the propensity to make excessive noise. Can't find the link to the campaign details at the moment.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I've an appt w/ the dealer on this next week. We'll see. I will try to blast the brakes (both in washing and deglazzing them) this weekend to see if I can get any improvement.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:38 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I use Centric too. You just can't beat them for regular street use. They are quiet, effective, brakes well during emergency when cold, less dust....what more could you ask for. Just don't use it for tracking.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:52 AM
13mit
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, you may also want to reapply some brake pad lubricant if you have the time/patience to take the brakes off. This helped with squeal on a previous care and I definitely applied some when I put in my new 991 brake pads/rotors.

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Not sure who that is directed towards, but I acquired my Carrera pre-owned with factory brakes that had some miles on them. No amount of performing bedding procedures would alleviate the squealing. In fact, early 991 base front brake pads were replaced with a revised part number due to the propensity to make excessive noise. Can't find the link to the campaign details at the moment.
Originally Posted by 2000se
I've an appt w/ the dealer on this next week. We'll see. I will try to blast the brakes (both in washing and deglazzing them) this weekend to see if I can get any improvement.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Originally Posted by 13mit
OP, you may also want to reapply some brake pad lubricant if you have the time/patience to take the brakes off. This helped with squeal on a previous care and I definitely applied some when I put in my new 991 brake pads/rotors.
Yeah, I've had success with that on previous vehicles. When I first bought my car, I asked the service advisor to clean the brakes and relubricate in an attempt to alleviate my squealing. It didn't help, and they gave me the same old story about noise being inevitable. I entirely understand that noise will occur due to the design of the brakes, but I think I proved my suspicions correct by getting rid of the noise with different pads and new rotors.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Good idea on the brake lubricant. I can I already hear the dealer now... “we’ll, that is the design blah blah...”
Old 06-14-2018, 11:36 AM
MichaelJH2000
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering replacing the stock pads on my 991.2 4s with the Centric pads for the reasons mentioned here. Do the brake pad sensors also need to be replaced when replacing the pads?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:44 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelJH2000
I'm considering replacing the stock pads on my 991.2 4s with the Centric pads for the reasons mentioned here. Do the brake pad sensors also need to be replaced when replacing the pads?
My experience is that the sensors get brittle and are hard to remove in one piece, even if there was no direct wear on the sensor. I'd recommend at least having some on standby when doing the work... assuming you can return them if not used. Or just replace them while you are at it.

The last time I looked I didn't see any ceramic pads for 991.2 S models. Are there some out there?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 PM
MichaelJH2000
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PartsGeek lists ceramic as well.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...e_pad_set.html
Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichaelJH2000
None of those are their low-dust ceramic pads... those are metallic and semi-metallic. They are fine replacements, just not the low-dust ones I'd switch over for. You may be seeing the ones for the ceramic discs, but those are the pads for ceramic rotors, not the iron ones.

I had previously seen that they make the ceramic pads that fit the rear but not the front.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Originally Posted by StormRune
None of those are their low-dust ceramic pads... those are metallic and semi-metallic. They are fine replacements, just not the low-dust ones I'd switch over for. You may be seeing the ones for the ceramic discs, but those are the pads for ceramic rotors, not the iron ones.

I had previously seen that they make the ceramic pads that fit the rear but not the front.
The posi-quiet semi-metallics are the best we get for Carreras. All the posi quiets for the 991.1 are semi-metallic not ceramic just like those .2 options.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkmesa
The posi-quiet semi-metallics are the best we get for Carreras. All the posi quiets for the 991.1 are semi-metallic not ceramic just like those .2 options.
I didn't realize that! Thanks for correcting my thinking on this. I had assumed that the benefits people were talking about here were coming from them having a ceramic compound (like Hawk had for the 997 models).

Edit: After going back and reading through the thread it was clear that these were semi-metallic since that was discussed. I guess I forgot over time and needed a refresh. Oops.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:15 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I didn't realize that! Thanks for correcting my thinking on this. I had assumed that the benefits people were talking about here were coming from them having a ceramic compound (like Hawk had for the 997 models).
Personally I think ceramic pads are ok, but there are pros and cos. They do last a long time and produce less dust and are fairly quiet. I've used them and I found out there is one con that is significant enough for me to change it out. They are not effective when wet or cold. The morning hours when temperatures dip, or when doused with water after a car wash, the brake pads are not effective at all. This is detrimental on normal street driving where you don't have the luxury of heating up your brakes before going on a hot lap. On the street, when you need your brakes, you need it right away and when you are caught with stone-cold brake pads, the brakes pads just won't bite or grab at all. This adverse effect only last a second or two, and then the brakes bite and the modulation of the brake pedal recovers. However, that sensation is nerve wrecking and I didn't like it at all. Then I switched to Centric pads and it made a huge difference. I like the brake modulation feeling and the effectiveness of it when the brakes are still stone-cold. That being said, those are not for track use, not the ceramics either for that matter.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:51 AM
myturbo2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently Centric sold the business (per zeckhausen) and the new owners have discontinued the street pads. Any other recommendations for a quiet replacement pad?
Old 01-14-2024, 02:32 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 215 Likes on 186 Posts

EBC

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com