Sponsored by:

Centric Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Centric Pads

Can someone point me to the proper centric pads for my 991.1C2? I’ve tried searching this and can’t find anything specific.Thanks a lot!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

You can look for it on partsgeek. I believe the front pad set part number is 125147-05314466 and the rear set is 125147-05257578
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 AM
2000se
Instructor

Thanks to both!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Good call - I'm running Posi Quiets on my 991.1 C2 to replace the noisy OE pads. Initially bite is minimally diminished, overall stopping power feels the same, noticeably less dust, and not a peep. Important to note, the compound for our cars is semi-metallic, not ceramic which equates to better stopping power and slightly more dust.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Brake dust is not caused by the pad - its caused by the pad eroding the iron on the brake rotor.

"Brake Dust" is very fine particles of iron that are coating your wheels and if you think about it, it makes sense. Rotors wear. So to get less dust you use a less aggressive pad that doesn't abrade the rotor as much. HOWEVER - the tradeoff is a loss of stopping power and resistance to severe heat fade in particular. Personally I would never esmaculate my Porsche, which has some of the best brakes ever put on a production car, by putting on an under-performing pad that requires several more feet to stop the car and also is subject to heat fade in a track-type environment in the name of clean wheels. Plus soft pads wear much quicker. Clean your wheels with soap and water rather than installing an inferior brake pad.

Brake squeal is caused by high-speed oscillations of the pad (vibration) typically its the backing plate clearance in the caliper bracket. As the brakes get hot with use, that metal backer expands and fits the bracket perfectly. They only squeal when cold and the brakes are not warmed up.

Sports care are different from basic point-to-point transportation vehicles like a Mazda 3.

Don't believe the above? Well, it comes directly from Porsche - in more detail:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/chri...ach-14589.html
The following users liked this post:
ZUFNHZN (01-15-2024)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie
Brake dust is not caused by the pad - its caused by the pad eroding the iron on the brake rotor.

"Brake Dust" is very fine particles of iron that are coating your wheels and if you think about it, it makes sense. Rotors wear. So to get less dust you use a less aggressive pad that doesn't abrade the rotor as much. HOWEVER - the tradeoff is a loss of stopping power and resistance to severe heat fade in particular. Personally I would never esmaculate my Porsche, which has some of the best brakes ever put on a production car, by putting on an under-performing pad that requires several more feet to stop the car and also is subject to heat fade in a track-type environment in the name of clean wheels. Plus soft pads wear much quicker. Clean your wheels with soap and water rather than installing an inferior brake pad.

Brake squeal is caused by high-speed oscillations of the pad (vibration) typically its the backing plate clearance in the caliper bracket. As the brakes get hot with use, that metal backer expands and fits the bracket perfectly. They only squeal when cold and the brakes are not warmed up.

Sports care are different from basic point-to-point transportation vehicles like a Mazda 3.

Don't believe the above? Well, it comes directly from Porsche - in more detail:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/chri...ach-14589.html
I would happily "emasculate" my Porsche for normal street performance. Worth the benefits to me. As dedicated track rotors and pads would be used for track duty anyway. And if you're claiming that the rotor material is 100% responsible for brake dust and none from the degrading pad material as well, you'd be mistaken.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
And if you're claiming that the rotor material is 100% responsible for brake dust and none from the degrading pad material as well, you'd be mistaken.
Agreed. To say that pads are not a major contributor to dust on the wheels is to say that the pads do not wear. Much easier to attribute wheel dust to the pads than to the rotors as iron particles should show rust on the wheels.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Here is a short article about the sources of brake dust from EBC brakes. I'd guess they know what they're talking about:
https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/brake...hat-causes-it/
Old 04-18-2018, 05:17 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I learned something!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM
2000se
Instructor

Well I'm at a loss because I have cleaned and cleaned and then heated and heated these things and they still squeal when applying very light pedal pressure. I just don't go jamming into the stop at lights or stop signs. I see a light change to red and I just coast to the light. 9/10 times I need to tap the brakes a little to keep from bumping the car in front of me and there it goes... ''ssssqqueeeeeell'.. I'm like fk...stupid brakes. Everyone's looking around at whose car is squealing..
haha.. I start looking around too - like, not me.. who is that?? hha
Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Porsche PSCB brakes. Hopefully coming soon as a replacement, not just available on the 2019 Cayenne.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:57 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Originally Posted by 2000se
Well I'm at a loss because I have cleaned and cleaned and then heated and heated these things and they still squeal when applying very light pedal pressure. I just don't go jamming into the stop at lights or stop signs. I see a light change to red and I just coast to the light. 9/10 times I need to tap the brakes a little to keep from bumping the car in front of me and there it goes... ''ssssqqueeeeeell'.. I'm like fk...stupid brakes. Everyone's looking around at whose car is squealing..
haha.. I start looking around too - like, not me.. who is that?? hha
I experienced the same before i bought centric pads and new rotors.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you didn't break them in properly...I did my rotors + pads with OEM last year and experience no squealing at any speed.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

what is nice about the centrics are that they are self bedding - install and drive. I have had no squealing whatsoever. I think they stop better than my oems and I like them a ton better, to be honest. little disappointed with the amount of brake dust though - a lot more than I expected (or wanted)

Quick Reply: Centric Pads