Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Congrats, and welcome!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What to do, what to do?

I am a Targa fan. I remember the unique look of the earlier Targas from long ago! I was a Corvette guy for most of my 50+ year driving career. I admired Porsches from afar and thoroughly had fun beating them off the line. However... once to a corner the race was over! So, when I sold my '02 Z51 convertible, I decided to matriculate to a Porsche and found the one shown here. '12 Targa 4 997.2 in Guards Red, 6 speed manual. What a great car! As a weekend car for drives in the MD and PA countryside, and never to be put on a track, it is really fine. One of the great things about this car are the remarkable never ending mods you can do to it. SO, with the Fabspeed cold air induction and side muffler installs, and the Billy Boat center muffler delete, the car is quiet under 3k rpms, but screams wickedly over that mark. Fun car to drive and gets plenty of thumbs up on the road. I have always felt that a sports car should be a manually shifted item. Kinda still do.

I was just fine thank you... until my wife and I did the Porsche Experience at Summit Point, WV. All new 2018's including a Turbo! DANG!

So, here I am... I have spied a '15 Targa 4S 991.2 (Metallic White, red interior, PDK). IF the 997.2 Targa has a flaw, its the vision out back when the top is slid back. Definitely NOT a problem in the 991.2 Targa 4S. Money does not enter the equation. Lust certainly does. What to do, what to do? And, no... I can't have both. There ARE rules in my household. Or, so my wife says.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:47 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 281 Posts

Congrats, I think you made a good move The 991 might be my favorite generation of 911, and I actually prefer the .2s to the .1s

Enjoy in good health!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

Congrats on your 'base' Carrera with MT.

And I fully agree that 370hp is more than enough for the public road. My new T shares the same sweet engine.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

FBrooks: I have a 991.2 Targa GTS. True, the GTS is slightly more powerful than the S you referenced, but perhaps not a huge difference. I went out for a spin yesterday and I can confirm the turbo motor is pure magic. "If you have the means, I highly recommend you pick one up." - Ferris Bueller
Old 04-17-2018, 12:26 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Congrats, very nice. And MT!
Originally Posted by Penn4S
Great color. Congratulations
Originally Posted by grigia
Love the color!
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Congrats, and welcome!
Thanks everyone, I think I will be getting the car this Friday night! Very excited indeed

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
I am a Targa fan. I remember the unique look of the earlier Targas from long ago! I was a Corvette guy for most of my 50+ year driving career. I admired Porsches from afar and thoroughly had fun beating them off the line. However... once to a corner the race was over! So, when I sold my '02 Z51 convertible, I decided to matriculate to a Porsche and found the one shown here. '12 Targa 4 997.2 in Guards Red, 6 speed manual. What a great car! As a weekend car for drives in the MD and PA countryside, and never to be put on a track, it is really fine. One of the great things about this car are the remarkable never ending mods you can do to it. SO, with the Fabspeed cold air induction and side muffler installs, and the Billy Boat center muffler delete, the car is quiet under 3k rpms, but screams wickedly over that mark. Fun car to drive and gets plenty of thumbs up on the road. I have always felt that a sports car should be a manually shifted item. Kinda still do.

I was just fine thank you... until my wife and I did the Porsche Experience at Summit Point, WV. All new 2018's including a Turbo! DANG!

So, here I am... I have spied a '15 Targa 4S 991.2 (Metallic White, red interior, PDK). IF the 997.2 Targa has a flaw, its the vision out back when the top is slid back. Definitely NOT a problem in the 991.2 Targa 4S. Money does not enter the equation. Lust certainly does. What to do, what to do? And, no... I can't have both. There ARE rules in my household. Or, so my wife says.
I had a 2009 Targa 4 (with the big glass roof) and loved it. The new ones are very special indeed.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Congrats, I think you made a good move The 991 might be my favorite generation of 911, and I actually prefer the .2s to the .1s

Enjoy in good health!
Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Congrats on your 'base' Carrera with MT.

And I fully agree that 370hp is more than enough for the public road. My new T shares the same sweet engine.
Thanks guys, I drove a 991.1 and a 991.2 and the .2 edged it out...just Both are excellent cars, and I really like the mid-cycle refresh on the .2's. When the 992's come out with their hybrid version the 991's s will be the last of the 'non-hybrid platform' 911's
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 AM
crbiker
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I came from a 997.2 GT3 RS. I now have a 991.2 GTS With PDK and love it. This turbo motor is so unlike any other turbo powered car I’ve driven. Really hard to discern any turbo lag. I also own a 2013 M3 Lime Rock with the NA v8 and 6 Speed. I can drive the two cars back to back and there is very little difference in throttle response.

Big congrats! Enjoy your new ride.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:15 AM
awini
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
When the 992's come out with their hybrid version the 991's s will be the last of the 'non-hybrid platform' 911's
if not hybid, the 991's will certainly be the last ones with buttons and analog gauges.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

So... Oregon just this year started charging sales tax for out of state purchases. At least I found that out a month back on my purchase.

Join me in the Gorge sometime.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

"I love this new motor, and the external turbo noises sound great too. I love how you can shut them out by closing the windows and sunroof, and just have that traditional 911 noise from the cabin. "

I too love this part of the 991.2. With all windows up the motor noise is different from the 3.8L but still equally as good in a different kind of way. Great color, enjoy her on some great backroads!
Old 04-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just arrived at my house after a little country lane action in the .2 GTS and I concur with the above. Warm day, had everything open so got the reflected sound from hedges and walls.

I’ve owned/driven a lot of “turbo” vehicles and once in sport/sport+ it has the power of a turbo with the response of a N/A engine. Really. Drive one if you don’t believe it. Coupled with the PDK it is just on another level compared with most cars.

I haven’t had a go in a “base” Carrera but reports say that it’s a lovely combination of sweet and punchy. I’m sure if I owned one I’d love it but being a power junkie and a serial option-ticker I had to have the GTS...
Old 04-21-2018, 07:06 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr

OP congrats, that color is awesome! Enjoy

Fbrooksr - 2015 is a 991.1 - so naturally aspirated. i think that the 991 targa is a looker and a huge improvement over the 997 targa. The 991 with the retro targa look is just amazing. My first Porsche was a "85 Targa. I'd go for it . White with red interior sounds great! Plus a wide body 4S looks great. I am looking at Targa's or maybe a GT3 but not in a rush. I'd have to get rid of something as i am out of space....
Old 04-22-2018, 12:09 AM
TustinJim
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile My new 2017 991.2

I got this from a Florida dealership last month and it's epic. Traded a 2014 991.1 which was awesome. This one is awesome plus. Love the wheels and love the front end lift. Love the extra power which I think is noticeable. And it has the cool rear window wiper, which won't see much action in California, but it adds to the awesomeness.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by crbiker
I came from a 997.2 GT3 RS. I now have a 991.2 GTS With PDK and love it. This turbo motor is so unlike any other turbo powered car I’ve driven. Really hard to discern any turbo lag. I also own a 2013 M3 Lime Rock with the NA v8 and 6 Speed. I can drive the two cars back to back and there is very little difference in throttle response.

Big congrats! Enjoy your new ride.
Thank you - she arrives in about 4 hours (yes, past mid-night) so it will be a late but exciting night for me!

Originally Posted by awini
if not hybid, the 991's will certainly be the last ones with buttons and analog gauges.
So true! Every new 911 which came out, the owners said 'it's the last 911 to have....'.

Originally Posted by eyebrakel8
Do you keep your clown shu?
I did not. I had two S54's (Titanium silver and Oxford green). I sold the silver one to acquire my first 911 (997 Targa 4 2009), and then I realized I didn't drive the Oxford green one much once I had the 997. I decided to sell it because hated not driving it. Both of them went to good homes (long-time shu-seekers) and both of these new owners were ecstatic to get their hands on my cars. They are both with the new owners even though I sold both over 4 years ago. With cars as rare as these, I wanted to make sure they went to the right homes!

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
So... Oregon just this year started charging sales tax for out of state purchases. At least I found that out a month back on my purchase.

Join me in the Gorge sometime.
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the details and it pertains to cars with under 7500 miles, so I'm in the clear!

Love to meet up for a drive sometime, the weather is getting better. Let's exchange details via pm.

Originally Posted by stephen k
"I love this new motor, and the external turbo noises sound great too. I love how you can shut them out by closing the windows and sunroof, and just have that traditional 911 noise from the cabin. "

I too love this part of the 991.2. With all windows up the motor noise is different from the 3.8L but still equally as good in a different kind of way. Great color, enjoy her on some great backroads!
Thank you - very excited about playing with her on some twisties and I love the noises of the new car. The 997.2 is probably the worst sounding modern 911, even though I grew to like the 'noise'. It just doesn't sound very special at all in stock form. My 997 didn't have the sports exhaust, but all the reports I've read about the sports exhaust aren't exactly glowing. I love how the 991.2 sounds!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:26 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Kept the 997.2 Targa 4

Originally Posted by rodsky
OP congrats, that color is awesome! Enjoy

Fbrooksr - 2015 is a 991.1 - so naturally aspirated. i think that the 991 targa is a looker and a huge improvement over the 997 targa. The 991 with the retro targa look is just amazing. My first Porsche was a "85 Targa. I'd go for it . White with red interior sounds great! Plus a wide body 4S looks great. I am looking at Targa's or maybe a GT3 but not in a rush. I'd have to get rid of something as i am out of space....
Rodsky, sorry for the confusion on the 2015 Targa 4S 991.1, and thanks for the correction.
I drove the 2015 991.1 Targa 4S over the weekend, and it is an incredible shifting machine with the PDK. I've never experienced such a smooth shifting car while accelerating under power. Then going to the paddle shifters was a real thrill. As I brought the car back to the dealership, I couldn't help thinking that this car was super sophisticated in styling and options, but the car just didn't have the personality the 997.2 Targa 4 had. The car was great, better than great. But the 997.2 just seemed more fun to drive. Less sophisticated and more dependent upon the driver. That is not to say I can now quit thinking about the 991.1. I ponder my choice to keep the 997.2 with 61,600 miles versus a 991.1 still in warranty and only 12,500 miles. This all boils down to personal choices, I get it. Great car though.

I would like to thank the respondents in the 991 forum as everyone was great. Class act.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 owner coming from 997.2