Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991.2 owner coming from 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:18 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I finally got my car, late last night. Today, I spent driving it and looking for cool locations to take some photos. Here are my initial impressions compared to the 997.2

Handling;
The 997 certainly feels more 'rear' engined, and in corners while it tracks beautifully, the 991 has much better turn in and mid corner balance. I felt like the 991 was far more proficient while the 997 had more personality. Bear in mind, this is day one with the 991.....we've lots of time to get to know each other

Steering;
The 991 has nice direct weighing and a great rack progression (and very fast). The 997 steering is the most communicative I've ever experienced. When cruising along, the 991 was more stable and less ruffled by road surface changes. If steering feedback is really important to you, then the 997 wins this one for sure.

General comfort;
I love the 997 very much, but one of the reasons for even considering the 991 was the platform was feeling a little old (naturally). The car would creak over bumps and generally I felt it was time to try something newer. The wheelbase stretch on the 991 means getting in/out is super easy compared to the 997, and there is less pitching on the road over uneven surfaces. As for road noise, the 991 is noisy but quieter than the 997.

Chassis/Suspension;
I noticed this the first time I drove the 991, the chassis feels much stiffer and sturdy than the 997. The whole car felt much more agile, and like it weighs 200lbs less (which of course it doesn't). Even with 20" wheels, the ride on the 991 is sublime and there is much more compliance in the entire suspension system for soaking up bumps and ridges.

Lastly but not least.....the motor!
The 3.8 motor in the 997.2 is a great stout unit, but doesn't sound that great with the stock exhaust. I prefer the idea of a NA motor vs. turbo, but today I was really trying to form an opinion about which was better. In the end, I feel the turbo motor is in fact a step up from the NA motor. I didn't notice any lag at all yet (but of course there is some....it's a turbo after all) and it pulls just like a NA 911 should. With the sports exhaust system, it sounds awesome too. I had someone ride shotgun in the 991 who was familiar with the 997 and remarked that the 991 pulled harder. I feel it does too, and the extra torque low down is pretty nice too, but not overwhelming.

Things I miss/will miss from the 997;
The steering! The cubby for your phone beneath the PCM. The door pulls loop up, and provide an additional grab point. The fact it will appreciate while the 991 will not (for now)!

Overall, I'm really happy and have no regrets in moving into the 991. The 991 is a stellar 911 and supremely capable sports car. I can't wait to explore the handling limits on autoX and the track.

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 04-23-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 991.1 versus my 997.2

z3mcoupe: great color!

Please remember, I was testing a 991.1, not the great .2 you just purchased. None the less, I did notice that the ride was noticeably smoother (as you said), and getting in and out was indeed easier. The PDK was the thing that struck me the most in the driving experience!

My wife and I took the 997.2 out this weekend and I couldn't help but compare. Someone in another string referred to the 997.2 steering as "nervous" over bumps. It is. It is also a harder ride (not sure if the suspension in the 991.1 is the difference, or the 20" tires, or the extra wheelbase... but it is noticeable). I realize I am a throwback "Boomer", but I just like to shift gears. However, the PDK is a game changer. I am sure the PCM is better... it really just about HAS to be!

So, best wishes for some great driving experiences for you in your new Porsche. Who knows, I may yet succumb to the 991.1. It's a beauty.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:19 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
I finally got my car, late last night. Today, I spent driving it and looking for cool locations to take some photos. Here are my initial impressions compared to the 997.2

Handling;
The 997 certainly feels more 'rear' engined, and in corners while it tracks beautifully, the 991 has much better turn in and mid corner balance. I felt like the 991 was far more proficient while the 997 had more personality. Bear in mind, this is day one with the 991.....we've lots of time to get to know each other

Steering;
The 991 has nice direct weighing and a great rack progression (and very fast). The 997 steering is the most communicative I've ever experienced. When cruising along, the 991 was more stable and less ruffled by road surface changes. If steering feedback is really important to you, then the 997 wins this one for sure.

General comfort;
I love the 997 very much, but one of the reasons for even considering the 991 was the platform was feeling a little old (naturally). The car would creak over bumps and generally I felt it was time to try something newer. The wheelbase stretch on the 991 means getting in/out is super easy compared to the 997, and there is less pitching on the road over uneven surfaces. As for road noise, the 991 is noisy but quieter than the 997.

Chassis/Suspension;
I noticed this the first time I drove the 991, the chassis feels much stiffer and sturdy than the 997. The whole care felt much more agile, and like it weighs 200lbs less (which of course it doesn't). Even with 20" wheels, the ride on the 991 is sublime and there is much more compliance in the entire suspension system for soaking up bumps and ridges.

Lastly but not least.....the motor!
The 3.8 motor in the 997.2 is a great stout unit, but doesn't sound that great with the stock exhaust. I prefer the idea of a NA motor vs. turbo, but today I was really trying to form an opinion about which was better. In the end, I feel the turbo motor is in fact a step up from the NA motor. I didn't notice any lag at all yet (but of course there is some....it's a turbo after all) and it pulls just like a NA 911 should. With the sports exhaust system, it sounds awesome too. I had someone ride shotgun in the 991 who was familiar with the 997 and remarked that the 991 pulled harder. I feel it does too, and the extra torque low down is pretty nice too, but not overwhelming.

Things I miss/will miss from the 997;
The steering! The cubby for your phone beneath the PCM. The door pulls loop up, and provide an additional grab point. The fact it will appreciate while the 991 will not (for now)!

Overall, I'm really happy and have no regrets in moving into the 991. The 991 is a stellar 911 and supremely capable sports car. I can't wait to explore the handling limits on autoX and the track.

Looking at your 997 Targa I couldn't help thinking that the new 991 glass sunroof looks almost the same size as the Targa! Is it really that much different?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:20 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

The glass roof is much bigger than the tin roof on the 997 Carrera, and while not as big as the Targa 4's roof which I had, it's a nice happy medium. When the roof on the 997 Targa's is open (and 996/3 I'm sure too) it really is a whole different driving experience, so much that I really missed the Targa for that.

One of the great things I noticed about this glass roof on the 991 vs. the tin roof on the 997, is the aero is much improved. Going at freeway speeds there is less noise and buffeting on the 991. Another little enhancement.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 owner coming from 997.2