How do u keep it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 AM
alma99
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do u keep it safe?

Hi all,
Just a curious question since I'm working on a simple solution for this problem and need your input.

How do you keep your car safe from theft, carjacking someone stealing your rims, or hit and run? Or do you not care about it, insurance will pay for it? Do you use any tools to keep it safe?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-13-2018, 03:50 AM
13mit
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what tools would help you keep your car safe from theft or a hit and run...owning the car means inherently taking on the risks of damage lol
Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 AM
alma99
Track Day

Fair enough, but there are still various ways to keep your car "in your control" like installing a GPS tracker, security cameras outside your house etc. Anything you use or if someone steals your car, you just hope it comes back?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:03 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Old 04-13-2018, 04:16 AM
alma99
Track Day

Originally Posted by 13mit
I don't mean to be insulting but this just seems like a ridiculous question. If my car gets stolen, I report it to the police and insurance will pay me for the car since I have comprehensive coverage, as I assume all of us do. Otherwise, do what you suggested, put a GPS tracker in there or go buy a monkey
So if someone breaks in to your car during the night when you sleep, steal the steering wheel and your rims, you would not want to know that while it's happening?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 AM
alma99
Track Day

Originally Posted by 13mit
No, you're absolutely right, I actually stay up all night staring at a live feed of my car, which inexplicably, is not sitting inside of my garage. Sleep is for losers anyway.
Dude, you tried so hard to not be insulting. Why do you even reply to this thread?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:51 AM
bibik
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Mamedi
Hi all,
Just a curious question since I'm working on a simple solution for this problem and need your input.

How do you keep your car safe from theft, carjacking someone stealing your rims, or hit and run? Or do you not care about it, insurance will pay for it? Do you use any tools to keep it safe?

Thanks for your help
Wheel theft: wheel locks
Car theft: Lo Jack, dash cam, garage parking/home alarm system
Hit-and-run: dash cam

Of course, these methods are not guaranteed, and some just act as a deterrent; given some time, professional thieves will probably have ways around these measures. But at least having some additional protection can give you a little peace of mind.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 AM
alma99
Track Day

Originally Posted by vickytor

Wheel theft: wheel locks
Car theft: Lo Jack, dash cam, garage parking/home alarm system
Hit-and-run: dash cam

Of course, these measures are not guaranteed, and some are just deterrent; serious thieves will probably have ways around these measures. But perhaps having some additional protection can give you a little peace of mind.
Thanks for your input . Is this something you use yourself?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:55 AM
bibik
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks for your help
Thanks for your input . Is this something you use yourself?
I've only used Lo Jack and Wheel Locks. Dash cams seem to be pretty popular though. I often even see bike riders with helmet-cams; probably to have a record in the event of an accident.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Have common sense.
Use situational awareness.
State Farm.
Lock car when parked.
Don't leave stuff in open view in the cabin.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM
alma99
Track Day

Originally Posted by LexVan
Common sense.
Situational awareness.
State Farm.
Lock car when parked.
Thanks mate. So you don't use any type tech solutions to keep yourself more aware of what's going on? Is that something you would pay for? Like a small monthly fee of say $3 to have direct insight into what's going on. Like for instance get a notification on your phone that someone is messing with your car?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I have security cameras around the house, flood lights and a variety of firearms but would likely go for my LWRC 6.8spc since it's closest to the back door(concealed and secured) 16"/red dot and strobe loaded with awesome hollow points. Mostly though, act responsible and keep it locked. I'd engage if I caught someone but chances are nobody would be that stupid. I have an Army Ranger Flag and US flag flying in front of my home.

Some elaborate heist can happen but I guess a meteor could fall from the sky too. Some things aren't worth worrying about since there is nothing you can do at that point to stop it.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Thanks mate. So you don't use any type tech solutions to keep yourself more aware of what's going on? Is that something you would pay for? Like a small monthly fee of say $3 to have direct insight into what's going on. Like for instance get a notification on your phone that someone is messing with your car?
You're fast! I added one more (keep cabin san items), while you were responding.

Are you doing a school report/project/survey? Are you developing a product/service for sale? It just sounds like you might be. Doesn't matter to me, btw. Carry on.

To answer your questions above, NO. It's a car. I love it, but it's replaceable. I don't want any more technology in my life. I wouldn't pay for any "service". I use the best common sense I have. I'm aware of my selections and surroundings. If $hit happens, that's why I have insurance. I try to worry less, and enjoy more. Especially about the things I have no control over.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

I never much thought about these things. If it happens, it happens. I refuse to live my life and spend so much energy on such negative behavior. Let them steal it, I will find another car to enjoy.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

I bet if you research over 30% of vehicles stolen had the keys left in them or close by.

Here in Nashville it was like 80% at the beginning of the year had keys left in them ...... even in folks driveways.

As one R Lister said..... Common Sense will keep you out of trouble most of the time.

Quick Reply: How do u keep it safe?