Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Here you go
The GT2RS is literally off the charts!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Nothing (automotively) beats the feeling (and sound) of an N/A flat six coming on-cam. Makes driving feel like an art. And the mix of linear powerband, precise throttle response mixed with how on-cam power can come on rather startlingly, is both predictable and surprising enough to keep things challenging (also, imo it actually gives a "faster" SOTP feel). Generic (in this day and age) flat torque powerband coming from a homogenized turbo soundwave is fun for a few minutes to me, or more fun if it's not my car and I can roast the tires constantly, but today is so commonplace, it doesn't lend nearly the same individuality. I4/V6/I6/F6/V8 turbo's have very similar powerbands which to me, lend extremely similar driving experiences. One cool thing about N/A motors is that you're really getting the unadulterated "soul" of a car, flaws and pros, as N/A I4's, I6's, V8's and Flat 6's all feel and sound entirely different. Being an automotive romantic, that goes a long way for me.

I can come out of any of the plethora of newer turbo cars with what I deem similar characteristics, and my 991 will feel truly something special and visceral. I couldn't care less if it does a 3 or 6 second 0-60, it's just the way it feels, sounds and goes which makes it ultimately involving. Simply learning the powerband to know exactly where to keep it in order to maximize its output makes driving it feel like a sport. Of course, a Sharkwerks exhaust only helps further said sensation. I can only imagine a GT3.

Anyway, as you can tell, I love it.

Last edited by K-A; 04-17-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Nothing (automotively) beats the feeling (and sound) of an N/A flat six coming on-cam. Makes driving feel like an art. And the mix of linear powerband, precise throttle response mixed with how on-cam power can come on rather startlingly, is both predictable and surprising enough to keep things challenging (also, imo it actually gives a "faster" SOTP feel). Generic (in this day and age) flat torque powerband coming from a homogenized turbo soundwave is fun for a few minutes to me, or more fun if it's not my car and I can roast the tires constantly, but today is so commonplace, it doesn't lend nearly the same individuality. I4/V6/I6/F6/V8 turbo's have very similar powerbands which to me, lend extremely similar driving experiences. One cool thing about N/A motors is that you're really getting the unadulterated "soul" of a car, flaws and pros, as N/A I4's, I6's, V8's and Flat 6's all feel and sound entirely different. Being an automotive romantic, that goes a long way for me.

I can come out of any of the plethora of newer turbo cars with what I deem similar characteristics, and my 991 will feel truly something special and visceral. I couldn't care less if it does a 3 or 6 second 0-60, it's just the way it feels, sounds and goes which makes it ultimately involving. Simply learning the powerband to know exactly where to keep it in order to maximize its output makes driving it feel like a sport. Of course, a Sharkwerks exhaust only helps further said sensation. I can only imagine a GT3.

Anyway, as you can tell, I love it.
Bingo. My problem is I’m very addicted to that feel when it’s on the cam. I want to have it almost all the time while driving. But who can ride around all the time tach’ing 5k rpms stoplight to stoplight ? Everyone around looks at you like your freaking nuts or an a$$ porsche driver.

Super intoxicating....
Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000se

Bingo. My problem is I’m very addicted to that feel when it’s on the cam. I want to have it almost all the time while driving. But who can ride around all the time tach’ing 5k rpms stoplight to stoplight ? Everyone around looks at you like your freaking nuts or an a$$ porsche driver.

Super intoxicating....
That's exactly the problem I had with my 991.1 GT3. It pushes you to rev it out all the time, and you look like an ***. Well, those of us with no willpower look like asses.. Especially with my crazy loud GMG exhaust.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16 PM
2000se
Instructor

Originally Posted by reacher
That's exactly the problem I had with my 991.1 GT3. It pushes you to rev it out all the time, and you look like an ***. Well, those of us with no willpower look like asses.. Especially with my crazy loud GMG exhaust.
I just tell myself I’m keeping the plugs clean and carbon build up off the valves. Great justification
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

That’s what the track is for - easy to keep the revs up
Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
That’s what the track is for - easy to keep the revs up
Wish I had time for that, but with 3 young kids and a business to run I'll be revving on my way to the grocery store to pick up more cereal.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Since when is revving an NA motor a chore?
If I wanted a predictable, lifeless commute, I'd take the train!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 PM
K-A
Drifting

Super intoxicating....

WORD. That feeling of coming on-cam and the sound that accompanies it is pure intoxication. Literally addictive. And the power level on these .1's to me is just right to where you can wind it out, feel G's, but still not be going idiotically fast. Very well balanced, especially in how you can exercise it out of corners with the chassis keeping it well under control, yet also with enough on-cam surprise element to keep things interesting. Scalpel like.

Learning your individual N/A motor (as powerbands between different N/A engines housed in different model cars vary widely) thus knowing exactly what gear and RPM to keep it in to maximize speed and/or driving enjoyment is an art unto itself, and I find massively enhances driver connectivity (i.e is the root of driver connectivity).

I just don't get that same effect from turbo cars. I remember when I drove a Ferrari California T and felt a familiar powerband and turbo muffle to my Macan S which also felt familiar in powerband characteristics to my friends GTR (power varies between them, but powerband and torque curve quite familiar, although the Macan S is less down-low torquey than your average boosted car and the GTR is a monster, it's like "similar but dialed differently") though the GTR has absolutely no vocal chords, it just dawned on me that there's that *something* shared between them, great and capable as they are, that was missing for me. I had several turbo cars before my 991.1 and there's this "grit" to an N/A powerband, feeling and sound that I missed from cars I used to have. A kind of old-school effect in this day and age of power adders and EV's, that's immensely charming.

I just tell myself I’m keeping the plugs clean and carbon build up off the valves. Great justification

LOL. Same. Rev's are healthy.

What's great about the 991.1 is you don't need to get near redlining it to really feel the power come on or get the sound scream. In fact, 4-5,500K is my sweet spot, where the song is a sort of mix between baritone and ravenous rasp, and the power kicks but you're not going insane. Short of a GT3, I think they're amongst the best overall N/A cars/packages (.1 Carreras) that have been or ever will be created. Which isn't a far fetched statement at all.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The GT2RS is literally off the charts!
Does anyone have the GT2RS graph? I suspect that torque is flat like the other turbo motors. It’s a beast at 553 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM and 700HP at 7000 RPM, but it might not have the same feel as other NA motors like many have mentioned already.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM
s4one
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily a 991.1 3.4 stick and when I keep the RPM above 4k, it for sure is fast. When I keep the car in sport mode it is much more responsive especially when I rev match and down shift. The only issue with 911's is that the power comes so late into the rpm's.

I always have Subaru STI's trying to race me and they always jump on me at the start since their boost starts at 2K RPM. I always feel that there's not enough road for me to even hit my power band. I live in Los Angeles and there's always traffic unless it is 5AM or the weekends or at the track.

The 991.2 turbos should help with low end tq.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:01 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I just wish the gearing wasn't so tall. Redline 2nd and I'm well beyond any posted speed limit.

If the final drive was 10% higher, we'd also have (effectively) 10% more torque to the wheels.

​​​​
Old 04-18-2018, 05:27 PM
2000se
Instructor

Originally Posted by koala
I just wish the gearing wasn't so tall. Redline 2nd and I'm well beyond any posted speed limit.

If the final drive was 10% higher, we'd also have (effectively) 10% more torque to the wheels.

​​​​
yes.. 2nd gear runout and I am at interstate speeds easily.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:44 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s4one
My 991.2 GTS has power EVERYWHERE. People can complain all they want about turbo engines, but every time I drive it I have to wipe the smile off my face. I'm a huge fan, and I'm happy they went in the direction they did.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by koala

​​​​
AGREED. Way too tall gearing. Hitting 80 in 2nd gear is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Does anyone have the GT2RS graph? I suspect that torque is flat like the other turbo motors. It’s a beast at 553 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM and 700HP at 7000 RPM, but it might not have the same feel as other NA motors like many have mentioned already.
Nor the sound. GT2's, beastly as they are, sound awful. Surprising to me how even on that model, Porsche can't seem to get the soundtrack right.

Originally Posted by s4one
I daily a 991.1 3.4 stick and when I keep the RPM above 4k, it for sure is fast. When I keep the car in sport mode it is much more responsive especially when I rev match and down shift. The only issue with 911's is that the power comes so late into the rpm's.

I always have Subaru STI's trying to race me and they always jump on me at the start since their boost starts at 2K RPM. I always feel that there's not enough road for me to even hit my power band. I live in Los Angeles and there's always traffic unless it is 5AM or the weekends or at the track.

What will help much better is not street racing like a 16 year old in the year 2001 when Fast & Furious came out.

Originally Posted by reacher
My 991.2 GTS has power EVERYWHERE. People can complain all they want about turbo engines, but every time I drive it I have to wipe the smile off my face. I'm a huge fan, and I'm happy they went in the direction they did.
[Yawn]

Quick Reply: Powerband 991.1 N/A