Nice first post, dude.
The following users liked this post:
ealingj (06-03-2022)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PSGA4
Open up the rear grill/deck lid and down to the right hand side is a small almost triangle panel that covers the connection for the high level brake light.
To be able to remove that smaller almost plastic panel, you will have to remove the fans, or at least pull up the fan assembly from right hand side a little to be able to wiggle the smaller panel out to expose the body harness connection.
Underneath that panel is the main body harness to which the spoiler harness connects and a smaller 2 pin plug that powers the high level brake light.
That 2 pin plug may have come loose thus triggering the yellow warning.
I have also heard of the wire that connects to the brake light in the spoiler, it runs right along side the left hinge ( driver side) of the spoiler and the other end is the 2 pin plug I mentioned, cracking and having a broken wire thus giving you the intermittent warning.
Try investigating those two things...
I just installed a ducktail on my car so am quite intimate with the whole spoiler deployment and wiring harness routing at the rear of my 991.
If you need any pics of what I am talking about PM me and I will email or text you them to you, not sure how to post up.
Good luck.
Ive had this warning lately and was looking at the same driver side hinge wire that is very brittle and wrapped around in a way that looks to fail eventually.
Thank you for the heads up on the other plug by the fans, may have forgotten to reattach or knocked loose during last oil change.
Here's the wire in my ride, are other's routed the same?

Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 AM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Im having the same issue on my.1 c4s...Will definitely have to look into this also...Thanks guys for the advice on this one !!!!
Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ealingj
The warning light refers to the 3rd brake light located in the spoiler (not the one on vent above the engine).

Typical cause of this warning is due to a failing or failed connection in the wires going to the brake light.

The failure typically occurs in the area circled in red. Failure is caused by fatigue (the constant bending of this wire when the spoiler deploys and goes back down).

Steps to diagnose and fix:

1) Turn key to start position (engine can be on or off) and deploy the spoiler by pushing the spoiler button.
2) Once the spoiler is deployed, have another person step on the brakes. From behind the car, look and see if the brake light in the spoiler is lighting up.
3) If the brake light in the spoiler is not lighting up, it could be the wires failing. If it does turn on, it could be a loose connection somewhere.
4) To check if the wire is in good condition, remove the wire from the joint circled in red, and take a blade and carefully cut away the black cloth material protecting the wires.
5) Make a new connection if the wires are barely holding on or in my case completely broken. Your choice of soldering, butt connecting, etc.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJjPoxBJ8hMpgwb7A

Hope this helps.

EJ
Great write-up.

Wires look sheared, though. Could they have gotten caught in the linkage?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

After checking today, its seems that my issue is the actual led light bar on the spoiler no longer working..does anywhere know where you can purchase these as I'm sure that you have to buy the entire light bar ??

Thanks Gents
Old 09-18-2019, 03:23 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The warning light refers to the 3rd brake light located in the spoiler (not the one on vent above the engine).

Typical cause of this warning is due to a failing or failed connection in the wires going to the brake light.

The failure typically occurs in the area circled in red. Failure is caused by fatigue (the constant bending of this wire when the spoiler deploys and goes back down).

1) Turn key to start position (engine can be on or off) and deploy the spoiler by pushing the spoiler button.
2) Once the spoiler is deployed, have another person step on the brakes. From behind the car, look and see if the brake light in the spoiler is lighting up.
3) If the brake light in the spoiler is not lighting up, it could be the wires failing. If it does turn on, it could be a loose connection somewhere.
4) To check if the wire is in good condition, remove the wire from the joint circled in red, and take a blade and carefully cut away the black cloth material protecting the wires.
5) Make a new connection if the wires are barely holding on or in my case completely broken. Your choice of soldering, butt connecting, etc.

Hope this helps.

EJ
Any chance someone has this photo? It seems to have been removed. I just got the "check high level brake light" warning today for the first time.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK
Any chance someone has this photo? It seems to have been removed. I just got the "check high level brake light" warning today for the first time.

Link works for me. Regardless, here is the photo

The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
ealingj (01-17-2022), PJK3 (06-08-2024)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:14 PM
Dany Kim
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Hope this helps.

EJ
Thank you for the write up. A warning light came up today and it was easy to find out why.

ealingj (09-11-2023)
Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 PM
nldl8485
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dany Kim;[url=tel:16193660
16193660[/url]]Thank you for the write up. A warning light came up today and it was easy to find out why.

I’m getting check high level brake light message all of a sudden. I took a peek at the wire that is located at the drivers side spoiler hinge and it does not look to be damaged, at least from the outside. Do I need to cut away some the wrapping to do a more thorough inspection?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:12 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by nldl8485
I’m getting check high level brake light message all of a sudden. I took a peek at the wire that is located at the drivers side spoiler hinge and it does not look to be damaged, at least from the outside. Do I need to cut away some the wrapping to do a more thorough inspection?
I had this failure earlier this summer.

In my case, the wiring harness was damaged, but in a location not accessible without first removing the spoiler top and underlying assembly. Once the dealer did that, they sent some photos showing that one of the brackets in the assembly had failed, subsequently putting pressure on and damaging the harness, resulting in the warning light.

I had it repaired under CPO warranty. Out of curiosity, I looked up the spoiler assembly part number, and it cost ~$2K just by itself. The harness was another couple hundred, and add a few hours labor and you're starting to talk about some pain $$$.

Thank God for CPO.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:46 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done EJ and welcome to the RL
ealingj (01-17-2022)
Old 11-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Dany Kim
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nldl8485
Yes. Mine was also fine from the outside. When I unwrapped it, the lines was snapped in mutiple locations. I am guessing this has to do with the spoiler movement and temperature.

Had the wire soldered where it snapped but same failure happened few days later. Proper fix is to get a long wire, remove the spoiler cover and connect from there. Try to avoid re-connecting wire in areas where there is movement. When done, lower spoiler with engine lid open and make sure the re-connected lines are not too tight.

Good luck!!
ealingj (05-05-2024)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

wondering if the bulb just needs to be replaced
Old 11-25-2019, 12:16 PM
nldl8485
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts;[url=tel:16251364
16251364[/url]]wondering if the bulb just needs to be replaced
. I suppose one should start there....back to basics. It is easy to over react when things like this pop up on this car all of a sudden. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

Great info! I had this same message twice last week... the message popped up for a half-second or so both times, then vanished.

Quick Reply: Warning: Check High-Level Brake Light