Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: Check High-Level Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 08:10 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I had to repair this as well. What a poor design, lol.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:32 PM
btchin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After I repaired my wires, the warning in the dash stayed on for several more days, then went off. Anyone else experience this delay?
Old 05-20-2022, 12:37 AM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I got the invite to this party. Will explore the wiring harness this weekend. thanks for the great photos and info
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 05:14 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Point of information: I replaced the harness and after reinstalling the spoiler I'm having issues with the car not being able to determine the state of the wing, up or down.

Details in here (without much help, unfortunately).

I just got a PIWIS 2 diagnostic head so I'm going to see if there's a spoiler "reset" procedure in there.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:42 PM
vanson1
3rd Gear

I see many people patching in a section and using wire butt connectors.

I recommend replacing the entire wire and only making the new connections at the very ends. This will minimize putting any strain on the new connectors. I did mine over a year ago and zero issues after many miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by vanson1:
ealingj (06-03-2022), noahabel (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:10 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

If I still had my rear wing (Have a duck now), I would just cut out the entire section that bends and replace it with a MUCH more pliable wire that can take more heat and bending cycles. Or cut more wire out and make a little quick replacement sections with small plugs on each end.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joec500:
ealingj (06-03-2022), noahabel (05-20-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 02:19 AM
jj1
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello,
This was the only thread I came across regarding the replacement of the wiring harness that breaks. My friend had the same issue and I offered to help thinking it was really straightforward and only takes an hour. I thought it would be helpful for future readers to understand the full procedure. I didn’t document complete DIY instructions. This is replacing the harness, not just patching the fractured wires. Here is what’s required:

2015 991.1 C2S
-Remove metal cover from spoiler
-Remove cooling fans and intake duct
-Remove 2 plastic covers on each side (one by coolant and oil spouts, one on opposite side)
-Remove taillights and rear bumper
-Unbolt the entire spoiler assembly frame (no need to remove entirely)
-Replace harness (take careful note of routing)
PJK3 (06-08-2024)
Old 10-30-2022, 08:20 AM
Larry Blunk
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the harness but I still see the error but only when the spoiler is deployed and I brake.

Im going to try the actual LED next. Is this the correct part?

991-631-181-03

Old 05-20-2023, 09:18 AM
Hedge Hog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just reviving this thread as I have the same issue on my 2015 4 GTS and hope someone can advise.

I ordered the part number 991 612 881 01 but the connector is smaller (8 pin) than the 14 pin connector on my car.

Is there a different wiring harness for the 4s or GTS?

Unless of course I’m looking at the wrong connector. From what I understand it is the one that is visible to the right when the engine/grill lid is raised?
PJK3 (06-08-2024)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:33 PM
Hedge Hog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I answered my own question in the end.
For anyone else having this issue.
It was the correct part number but the connection was under the spoiler mounting.
Just completed the change of harness.
If I was doing it again I’d release the painted section of the spoiler (5 screws) while the assembly was still attached to the car.
PJK3 (06-08-2024)
Old 08-03-2023, 10:31 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thread resurrection time!
Just got the message this morning going to work!
I came home and tried to replicate it, know it had to have something to do with the spoiler going up and braking, since I was in a slight rush to work.
However, I could not replicate the message, so decided to do a search on this forum and Whoop there it is...all the info I need to know from all you knowledgeable and experience people.
I checked the wiring and it's looking pretty good, so it may be a loose connection.
My CPO warranty is up this November, so I do a little more spirited runs and brakes...I'm bedding in my brake pads officer!
Hopefully I can get it to stay on and have the dealer do it, if not I tackle it when the weather cools...like in December/January.

Thank you so much for the info here, it's been a great help...like always!
Old 08-04-2023, 12:16 PM
vanson1
3rd Gear

That warning is the small wire which runs along the drivers side hinge of the rear wing. It it under warranty, have them replace the harness. I did mine myself as I was beyond warranty period. Pretty easy if you are mechanical at all.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:12 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vanson1
That warning is the small wire which runs along the drivers side hinge of the rear wing. It it under warranty, have them replace the harness. I did mine myself as I was beyond warranty period. Pretty easy if you are mechanical at all.
Thank you!
I'm debating between doing it myself...longer wire, or have the dealer do it and have it break again in a couple of years. Unless they have a longer wire now.
It did come on this afternoon on my way home, but not this morning on my way to work....I guess I'm more anxious to get home than go to work..LOL
Old 08-05-2023, 11:07 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

I just repaired mine about a month ago as I was getting both the high level light fault and a PSM fault. In talking to my dealer, a break in the connection for the light can trigger a PSM fault as all modules supposedly communicate with each other. I had to cut the tape on the harness at the joint and low and behold, both wires were broken at the same place. I too was getting an intermittent fault after coming off the highway and the spoiler retracting. I cut about four inches out and respliced a more flexible loop, which is a bit longer but still allows everything to work properly and not get caught on anything, Seal it up with some flexible heat shrink tube and its better than new. Not sure why you would want to go through the trouble of replacing the harness as the sharp curve at the pivot joint, the cause of the problem, will still be there. The only advantage would be newer wires that would last longer but could still fail the same way in the end.
ealingj (09-11-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 11:34 AM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmarino
I just repaired mine about a month ago as I was getting both the high level light fault and a PSM fault. In talking to my dealer, a break in the connection for the light can trigger a PSM fault as all modules supposedly communicate with each other. I had to cut the tape on the harness at the joint and low and behold, both wires were broken at the same place. I too was getting an intermittent fault after coming off the highway and the spoiler retracting. I cut about four inches out and respliced a more flexible loop, which is a bit longer but still allows everything to work properly and not get caught on anything, Seal it up with some flexible heat shrink tube and its better than new. Not sure why you would want to go through the trouble of replacing the harness as the sharp curve at the pivot joint, the cause of the problem, will still be there. The only advantage would be newer wires that would last longer but could still fail the same way in the end.
You're right, I should probably cut back some of the tape to check on the wiring I can't see. And using heat shrink would be the way to go. How/where are you routing the excess wiring, in the same route as the OEM wiring?
I don't plan on replacing the entire harness if I don't have to that would be like work and not a DIY fun...LOL!
I just hope I see something when I do cut back the sheathing tape on the wiring, because if not, I may just need to go further down the line, which means removing more parts...and that's like work..LOL!

Quick Reply: Warning: Check High-Level Brake Light