Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add limited slip to base 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 04:04 AM
Bulldawgfan1000
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone else attempted this mod? I have a 17 c2 with the MT and want to have a mechanical LSD for autocross as well as HPDE. Located in GA
Old 12-07-2021, 08:39 AM
519Kris
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan1000
Has anyone else attempted this mod? I have a 17 c2 with the MT and want to have a mechanical LSD for autocross as well as HPDE. Located in GA
After more research I ended up going for a cheaper modification before getting drastic. Added front and rear adjustable sway bars and got them dialed in. Inner rear slip for me has been negligible since. Caveat, I don’t have any modifications that change power beyond occasionally running a mix of 96 and 91 at the track.
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:56 AM
Bulldawgfan1000
Advanced

Got this response from Matt at Guard when I asked if they had a LSD for the 991.2 manual gearbox and was told they weren't currently making anything for that gearbox. I then asked if there was a lack of demand or if there was a PDK version that could be modified (shims) to fit the manual box :

"No steel. There's been supply problems for more than a year now. We've only been making our 5-6 most popular models. The PDK LSD, which does fit the 7MT, is around number 10 on the sales list. It won't get made again for at least a year based on current forecasts."

I seems that if I am willing to wait a year or more, I can get a Guard plated diff that will have plates that will need rebuilding at some point. I am also looking at the wavetrac ATB which is set and forget and also cheaper. Does anyone here know what the advantages of the more expensive plated LSD are vs the wavetrac ATB?
Old 01-04-2022, 06:05 PM
cactusjack
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Got this response from Matt at Guard when I asked if they had a LSD for the 991.2 manual gearbox and was told they weren't currently making anything for that gearbox. I then asked if there was a lack of demand or if there was a PDK version that could be modified (shims) to fit the manual box :

"No steel. There's been supply problems for more than a year now. We've only been making our 5-6 most popular models. The PDK LSD, which does fit the 7MT, is around number 10 on the sales list. It won't get made again for at least a year based on current forecasts."

I seems that if I am willing to wait a year or more, I can get a Guard plated diff that will have plates that will need rebuilding at some point. I am also looking at the wavetrac ATB which is set and forget and also cheaper. Does anyone here know what the advantages of the more expensive plated LSD are vs the wavetrac ATB?
Can't you retrofit Carrera T LSD?
Old 01-04-2022, 08:19 PM
Bulldawgfan1000
Advanced

Originally Posted by cactusjack
Can't you retrofit Carrera T LSD?
This would be a great oem solution however, parts for these gearboxes are not available from my research unless you need a clutch. I would like to also change the final drive ratio and lower the gearing a bit but I haven’t seen any info/products available for this application
Old 01-05-2022, 10:03 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

This would be a great oem solution however, parts for these gearboxes are not available from my research unless you need a clutch. I would like to also change the final drive ratio and lower the gearing a bit but I haven’t seen any info/products available for this application
Try to find a transmission from a wrecked T and swap it.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:12 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Try to find a transmission from a wrecked T and swap it.
Does it even need to be exclusively from a T (i.e. can't it be from an S, 4S, GTS, etc...)?
Old 01-05-2022, 01:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 519Kris
After more research I ended up going for a cheaper modification before getting drastic. Added front and rear adjustable sway bars and got them dialed in. Inner rear slip for me has been negligible since. Caveat, I don’t have any modifications that change power beyond occasionally running a mix of 96 and 91 at the track.
Curious to learn more—as it seems like an intelligent next move before LSD, transmission swaps, etc. Would also be nice to be able to tweak the setup to one's preferences.

Who makes or sells the bars you chose, and have you had any issues with noises/knocking/squeaks/etc? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2022, 01:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Does it even need to be exclusively from a T (i.e. can't it be from an S, 4S, GTS, etc...)?
S/T/GTS 7MT should be same, I think?

Thought about this—but also wonder if the LSD in these transmissions wears like those seen in some earlier GT products. Do like the lower effective final drive in the bargain, however…but wonder if it would effect emissions for those who have to do dyno tests. What an unpleasant surprise that would be…

Last edited by stout; 01-05-2022 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 02:10 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Curious to learn more—as it seems like an intelligent next move before LSD, transmission swaps, etc. Would also be nice to be able to tweak the setup to one's preferences.

Who makes or sells the bars you chose, and have you had any issues with noises/knocking/squeaks/etc? Thanks!
Me too, I am getting more & more involved with DE and this is very interesting, thanks.

Last edited by The Ox; 01-05-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:25 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

When I added front and rear sway bars it caused the inner rear wheel the light up, severely!

I had to increase front spring rate to compensate.

33/108 Stock GTS
45/120 Stock GT3
75/150 Tractive was great all round until sway bars
100/150 stopped the rear wheel lift from sway bars.

The front was collapsing under hard cornering with the added pressure from the much stiffer sway bars.

Elephant Racing bars rattled from brand new, and all have been replaced now with E-Motion. After many track days they are still silent. Much larger superior bearings and are shim adjustable so settings are locked in and don’t slip.

The mechanical diff has brought a previously unknown stability to the car. Especially under braking. The car no longer dances around under extreme braking.

The car is pure. I really don’t want to drive anything else.
I run -4.4 camber front. It wasn’t until i git it to -4 in front that my car was any better than anything else.

Porsche need a lot of front neg camber to come alive.
I worked my way up to -4.4. -3.2 is a good starting point.
Less than that, and you’re really not experiencing what driving a Porsche hard through corners is about.

4.0 Track

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 01-05-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Add limited slip to base 991.2?