Sponsored by:

991 improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:05 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 65 Posts
Default 991 improvements?

Were there any improvements to the 991.1 Carrera from 2012 until 2015? For example, did they update the software for the electric steering to make it better? Anything like that? I am wondering because I read so many complaints about the steering when the 991 came out in 2012 and, as I have just purchased a 2015 Carrera but have yet to drive it, am concerned about the steering feel. My car for the last 5.5 years was a 987.1 Cayman S and the steering on that car is nothing short of superb in my opinion. Great road feel, great feedback, and the car goes where you point it. I am hoping I fall in love with my new to me Carrera because boy have I loved my Cayman S.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:11 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 124 Posts

You really should have tested one prior to buying. Having said that, coming from a 997.2 Targa to a 991.2 Cab S I will say the stearing on the 997.2 felt more responsive and felt a bit more connected to the road. However not a deal breaker to upgrade.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 PM
famous shoes
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

From reviews that I have read and seen, the steering in the 991.2 is supposed to be noticeably improved from the 991.1. I feel very little difference between the steering in my current 991.2 CS and my prior 997.2. The current car is just outstanding and a total joy to drive.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:51 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply but you didn’t answer my question as I understand the 991.2 steering is indeed different from the 991.1 steering, no? I’ve driven a 991.2 gts and the steering was almost as good as my cayman s and very much acceptable to me. I suspect I’ll be happy with the 991.1 steering once I get used to it. I know I’ll love the car as a whole. And While yes one could argue I should have driven the specific car before buying it I have driven 991 cars before just not recently and not back to back with my old car. And this 991.1 carrera is still under warranty and I Had an opportunity to get it, a special car (equipped how I wanted which I had until then not been able to find in my country) at a good price but it’s far away so acted on it as wanted to trade the cayman s.

So back t my original question, did Porsche change anything from 2012 to 2015 on the carrera? Software updates? Anything?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
Thanks for the reply but you didn’t answer my question as I understand the 991.2 steering is indeed different from the 991.1 steering, no? I’ve driven a 991.2 gts and the steering was almost as good as my cayman s and very much acceptable to me. I suspect I’ll be happy with the 991.1 steering once I get used to it. I know I’ll love the car as a whole. And While yes one could argue I should have driven the specific car before buying it I have driven 991 cars before just not recently and not back to back with my old car. And this 991.1 carrera is still under warranty and I Had an opportunity to get it, a special car (equipped how I wanted which I had until then not been able to find in my country) at a good price but it’s far away so acted on it as wanted to trade the cayman s.

So back t my original question, did Porsche change anything from 2012 to 2015 on the carrera? Software updates? Anything?
I believe that version 4.76 is the latest software edition for your PCM. They did update it many times but primarily to fix bugs and not to add any new functionality. I also recall that they added rev-matching for the 7MT to the 2013 and beyond models.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I believe that version 4.76 is the latest software edition for your PCM. They did update it many times but primarily to fix bugs and not to add any new functionality. I also recall that they added rev-matching for the 7MT to the 2013 and beyond models.
thanks. Did they add rev matching to the base carrera or just when you get the sport chrono package?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,103 Posts

thanks. Did they add rev matching to the base carrera or just when you get the sport chrono package?
I believe 2013 and later with Sport Chrono got it.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:13 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

You need to have the sport chrono package. It is available in all the models with a manual.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Steering feel in the 991.1 is indeed different than the prior 911s. It is less "active" in terms of steering wheel motion in response to road conditions, but with superb ability to place the care just where the driver wants. The longer wheelbase and wider front track are partly responsible, but so is very deliberate engineering to reduce the steering wheel motions. Early road testers were shocked to find out how "quiet" the wheel was- "dead" by comparison.

I think the change from hydraulic to electric power for the steering rack got the "blame" and led many to think some simple software change could reverse all of the change. Porsche revised the feel on GT3s via many changes to components. I don't think there were "software" differences in the rest of the 991.1 line- although lots of folks were hoping it was a "simple matter of programming".

That said, feel of 991.1s across all the options is highly dependent on how the car is configured. Rear wheel drive feels different than all wheel drive. Coupes feel different than Cabs and Targas due to the larger mass in the rear. S's with dynamic engine mounts feel different than non-S's when pushed. 20 in wheels (especially the wider ones) feel different than 19s. A rear wheel drive car with SPASM (lowered with shorter springs and larger sway bars) feels different again, with increased precision and overall capability. Cars with active sway bars PDCC feel different altogether.

And- like all 911s since day one, camber, caster and toe settings - intentional or misalignment, can change everything.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Steering feel in the 991.1 is indeed different than the prior 911s. It is less "active" in terms of steering wheel motion in response to road conditions, but with superb ability to place the care just where the driver wants. The longer wheelbase and wider front track are partly responsible, but so is very deliberate engineering to reduce the steering wheel motions. Early road testers were shocked to find out how "quiet" the wheel was- "dead" by comparison.

I think the change from hydraulic to electric power for the steering rack got the "blame" and led many to think some simple software change could reverse all of the change. Porsche revised the feel on GT3s via many changes to components. I don't think there were "software" differences in the rest of the 991.1 line- although lots of folks were hoping it was a "simple matter of programming".

That said, feel of 991.1s across all the options is highly dependent on how the car is configured. Rear wheel drive feels different than all wheel drive. Coupes feel different than Cabs and Targas due to the larger mass in the rear. S's with dynamic engine mounts feel different than non-S's when pushed. 20 in wheels (especially the wider ones) feel different than 19s. A rear wheel drive car with SPASM (lowered with shorter springs and larger sway bars) feels different again, with increased precision and overall capability. Cars with active sway bars PDCC feel different altogether.

And- like all 911s since day one, camber, caster and toe settings - intentional or misalignment, can change everything.
Excellent points. Maybe my experience differs since I was come from a 997.2 Targa 4 to. 991.2 Cab S?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Rev-matching was added on manual models with Sport Chrono for the 2013 model year starting in November 2012. So not all 2013 manuals with SC will have rev-match.

Last edited by go.illini; 04-04-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I believe 2013 and later with Sport Chrono got it.
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

Thank you for the explanation
Old 04-03-2018, 11:52 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can rev-matching be added to an early 2013 S with SC? Is it simply a software addition?

Quick Reply: 991 improvements?