Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Rev-match has additional sensors to make it work. It cannot be retrofitted.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Steering feel in the 991.1 is indeed different than the prior 911s. It is less "active" in terms of steering wheel motion in response to road conditions, but with superb ability to place the care just where the driver wants. The longer wheelbase and wider front track are partly responsible, but so is very deliberate engineering to reduce the steering wheel motions. Early road testers were shocked to find out how "quiet" the wheel was- "dead" by comparison.

I think the change from hydraulic to electric power for the steering rack got the "blame" and led many to think some simple software change could reverse all of the change. Porsche revised the feel on GT3s via many changes to components. I don't think there were "software" differences in the rest of the 991.1 line- although lots of folks were hoping it was a "simple matter of programming".

That said, feel of 991.1s across all the options is highly dependent on how the car is configured. Rear wheel drive feels different than all wheel drive. Coupes feel different than Cabs and Targas due to the larger mass in the rear. S's with dynamic engine mounts feel different than non-S's when pushed. 20 in wheels (especially the wider ones) feel different than 19s. A rear wheel drive car with SPASM (lowered with shorter springs and larger sway bars) feels different again, with increased precision and overall capability. Cars with active sway bars PDCC feel different altogether.

And- like all 911s since day one, camber, caster and toe settings - intentional or misalignment, can change everything.

So true... couldn’t have said it better...

i would add another factor which is tires and tire pressure.

just slapped on sport cup 2 in stock 20” wheels and all I can say is holy .... ! Car is transformed, amazing...

Quick Reply: 991 improvements?