Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 03:10 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 475 Likes on 216 Posts

What do Fellow T owners suggest for first service. (Free) first service at dealer or pay to have my trusted indy shop do the service?

I am leaning towards using the shop, but is there anything I am missing by not working with a Porsche Dealer on the first service?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2020, 03:19 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 246 Posts

The first service (as you mentioned) if free. You don't get much free from Porsche, so I would take it. It's nothing more than an oil change. Make sure they fill the oil to the correct level. My dealership left mine 1/2 quart low and gave me some BS about not wanting to overfill. A quick stop at my local auto parts store for a $10.00 quart of Mobil 1 corrected that problem.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 03:33 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by siete-speed
What do Fellow T owners suggest for first service. (Free) first service at dealer or pay to have my trusted indy shop do the service?

I am leaning towards using the shop, but is there anything I am missing by not working with a Porsche Dealer on the first service?

Thanks!
Aside from the "FREE" thing, your indy shop probably does not have full access to the Porsche Diagnostic system and could therefore miss some unlikely issue with your car. As far as the issue of not having the oil filled up all the way, most mechanics I have spoken to prefer you be registering a bit below full. If you think about it a "Full" reading means either Full or Over-filled.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:36 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

The other nice thing about the initial service with the dealer is in the unlikely event any warranty issues arise, it will go a lot smoother.
In the end, not much dough, so go with what you feel the most comfy with.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:54 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 246 Posts

Good point on the diagnostic check. The car will already be there and if any updated are required the dealer can handle them. Regarding the FULL line for the oil, they gave me that same story. I told them if Porsche was worried about the car being over-full, then the oil gauge would have read 1/2 quart low when I purchased the car. Personally, I think they are trying to save from opening another quart of oil.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:07 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Good point on the diagnostic check. The car will already be there and if any updated are required the dealer can handle them. Regarding the FULL line for the oil, they gave me that same story. I told them if Porsche was worried about the car being over-full, then the oil gauge would have read 1/2 quart low when I purchased the car. Personally, I think they are trying to save from opening another quart of oil.
OR, it could just be that at the Factory they are capable of putting exactly the same amount of oil in thousands of cars a year, whereas this may not be true at your local servicer. I still have come to prefer being able to closely monitor consumption (not that there has been any in 20K mi.) by observing any movement in the indicated level. Additionally, at the risk of being a bit granular, if it takes just a bit to get to Full, I suspect you will be charged for a full quart (after the first service). I would rather have the full quart container in the car as the emergency supply.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:11 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

As a newbie to the Porsche world I was ‘introduced’ (aka ‘shocked’ a little) to the P-tax on my second annual oil change last month! $975 ish. If I remember. The car only had 5,500 miles, and i was like “$100 for windscreen wiper blades? Who needs those changed in a new car.” Welcome to Porsche. Yes, worth it to get factory maintenance... but the Indy shop became quickly more interesting.
S S (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 04:12 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

my T included free 3 year service contract so i know where i'll be going.... this is routine maintenance. no reason not to go to the dealer if it's free.

not to mention, it's an opportunity to address any other items like rattles or other little gremlins.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:16 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 475 Likes on 216 Posts

Thanks everyone,
I decided to go with my shop. I love the shop and they are super convenient for me, always first class, and will do the work tomorrow.
They did install Sports cats on the car, so that was another factor.
You guys know how it is, if you find a good shop you always want to work with them.... Especially right now when they need some work!
Thanks again!

The following 3 users liked this post by seis-speed:
K-Nut (04-23-2020), Klepper (04-23-2020), S S (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 04:19 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
As a newbie to the Porsche world I was ‘introduced’ (aka ‘shocked’ a little) to the P-tax on my second annual oil change last month! $975 ish. If I remember. The car only had 5,500 miles, and i was like “$100 for windscreen wiper blades? Who needs those changed in a new car.” Welcome to Porsche. Yes, worth it to get factory maintenance... but the Indy shop became quickly more interesting.
correct, also, if you lease your car, the factory maintenance increases the residual by 1% which makes a 3 year package work out to like $500-$700.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supercroc
OR, it could just be that at the Factory they are capable of putting exactly the same amount of oil in thousands of cars a year, whereas this may not be true at your local servicer. I still have come to prefer being able to closely monitor consumption (not that there has been any in 20K mi.) by observing any movement in the indicated level. Additionally, at the risk of being a bit granular, if it takes just a bit to get to Full, I suspect you will be charged for a full quart (after the first service). I would rather have the full quart container in the car as the emergency supply.
i always keep a full quart in my cars. in the little porsche oil bag. even got some vintage porsche oil rags for fun.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:00 AM
kvb968
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Go To The Dealer, it’s free!

Your crazy not to go to the dealer for your first service! It’s the only time you will ever get something for free from Porsche. Make sure they stamp your maintenance book!
lamacan (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 03:50 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey guys, great site. So I've been looking into the T in a manual as a stripped simple daily. But as someone who has definitely done the stripping game to lighten a track toy, some of the numbers on the T don't make sense to me. The manual version is only 8 pounds lighter than the standard Carrera..? And it loses baffling, loses leather for cloth, loses interior handles, is spec'd with lighter wheels, and swaps the rear three glass windows for Gorilla Glass? These numbers don't appear to make sense, unless they are adding something to the T... Are they? And if so, what would that be? It's not the RAS system, I'm talking about the base model T which goes without that and keeps the rear seats...
Old 04-26-2020, 04:32 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
Hey guys, great site. So I've been looking into the T in a manual as a stripped simple daily. But as someone who has definitely done the stripping game to lighten a track toy, some of the numbers on the T don't make sense to me. The manual version is only 8 pounds lighter than the standard Carrera..? And it loses baffling, loses leather for cloth, loses interior handles, is spec'd with lighter wheels, and swaps the rear three glass windows for Gorilla Glass? These numbers don't appear to make sense, unless they are adding something to the T... Are they? And if so, what would that be? It's not the RAS system, I'm talking about the base model T which goes without that and keeps the rear seats...
As an owner, I agree 100%, the weight savings claims are a bit silly. That being said, I had my 1 yr service done last week and had the opportunity to sit and chat with my advisor for an hour. I have RAS, 4 ways, and am one of those idiots who ordered a glass sunroof. According to my SA's computer, the RAS adds 28lbs, 15 for the hardware, 13 for the battery/electronics. The glass sunroof adds 23.5lbs to the car, whereas a metal sunroof adds 20. So, I added 51.5lbs. However, the 18way seats weigh 64lbs each, while the 4 ways weigh 41lbs. So, when you do the math, I only weigh 6 lbs more than someone who has sunroof delete, no RAS, and 18ways.

I fluctuate 6 lbs a week so good luck feeling the difference

It is an AMAZING car. So cliche, but more than the sum of its parts. We all bitch and share our 1 cent on here like it matters but the fact is simple, drive one, and you will fall in love. Go get it and post back with pics!

-BA
The following 8 users liked this post by BA73:
GT3FZS (04-26-2020), K-Nut (04-26-2020), Klepper (04-29-2020), minh (04-26-2020), S S (04-26-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020), spyderbret (04-26-2020), Wing Commander (04-26-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:08 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BA73
As an owner, I agree 100%, the weight savings claims are a bit silly. That being said, I had my 1 yr service done last week and had the opportunity to sit and chat with my advisor for an hour. I have RAS, 4 ways, and am one of those idiots who ordered a glass sunroof. According to my SA's computer, the RAS adds 28lbs, 15 for the hardware, 13 for the battery/electronics. The glass sunroof adds 23.5lbs to the car, whereas a metal sunroof adds 20. So, I added 51.5lbs. However, the 18way seats weigh 64lbs each, while the 4 ways weigh 41lbs. So, when you do the math, I only weigh 6 lbs more than someone who has sunroof delete, no RAS, and 18ways.

I fluctuate 6 lbs a week so good luck feeling the difference

It is an AMAZING car. So cliche, but more than the sum of its parts. We all bitch and share our 1 cent on here like it matters but the fact is simple, drive one, and you will fall in love. Go get it and post back with pics!

-BA
great math to know! thank you.

i also have 4 ways, RAS and glass sunroof. appreciate the info.

as i have said before and many others too, the weight claims are marketing in most practical applications.

doesn't make it any less of a car.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club