Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 282 Posts

How does European Delivery work as far as buying the car? Do you have to finalize all paperwork Stateside? I'd hate to buy something sight unseen. I also didn't do European Delivery because I knew I wanted to PPF the front first and a proper break-in.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
How does European Delivery work as far as buying the car? Do you have to finalize all paperwork Stateside? I'd hate to buy something sight unseen. I also didn't do European Delivery because I knew I wanted to PPF the front first and a proper break-in.
Yes you have to pay/finance in advance and sign all paperwork prior to your trip. If the dealer isn't sure of your intention to bring the car back stateside then they'll charge Euro VAT tax as well, and you'll get a refund when the car gets to the US. The factory will take care of any issues you may have upon delivery. I had PPF done while in Stuttgart by a place called Schwaben-Folia. They're a half hour drive from the factory.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Thanks Randy M.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
Thanks Randy M.
The PPF job on my car was acceptable for my situation while over there, but I would have had them do some sections over if they were a local shop to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy M
The PPF job on my car was acceptable for my situation while over there, but I would have had them do some sections over if they were a local shop to me.
I had actually bought some Tracwrap from Xcel and drove the car home from the dealer with it on just the hood and front bumper. That might work for me if I ever do European Delivery.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
When you do ED the dealer gets another allocation as well.
Yes but I don’t think it would be a T allocation at this point.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:03 AM
glenncurtis
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
European delivery actually costs the dealer something (~$3k??). So, in fact you are getting "some" discount.
To add to this comment, I thought I would convey...

Euro delivery, from my recent experience, equates to:
2 weeks insurance (included) while driving in Europe.
1 night lodging prior to morning pick up and transportation to Porsche for delivery.
Same transport fees, after you have had the benefit to enjoy your car there. So it isn't really more cost to you.
Prior to your euro-delivery, you will receive a nice package with your vouchers. In my case it included a special grille badge celebrating euro delivery that you can show with pride.
The delivery experience includes:
* Factory tour
* If Leipzig, track time with equivalent model 911 (base Carrera is what they had when I was there)
* Very nice lunch at delivery center (Michelin star restaurant I believe - it was good!)
* Porsche Museum (Stuttgart one is downright awesome)
* Porsche Store (good for some nice mementos, shirts, books, luggage, accessories, that are not always available locally)
* If something were to occur that caused damage, Porsche and the insurance will make it wonderful again (they say)
* Bucket list class experience in the whole process (IMO) - Not easy to put a price on.
* Flexible destination options for drop off (London, Munich, Stuttgart, Leipzig, Emden, etc, etc. most have fees, but some are quite cheap, and the factory locations are free drop off.

Europe benefits with your car: Up to you, but yeah, The Alps and the famous passes, Nurburgring, Monaco photo with your car as a subject, etc. etc. AUTOBAHN, you get the idea ;-)

Cons - Waiting for your car and missing it for 6-8 weeks while in transport, after you fall in love with it during your holiday there.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by glenncurtis
To add to this comment, I thought I would convey...

Euro delivery, from my recent experience, equates to:
2 weeks insurance (included) while driving in Europe.
1 night lodging prior to morning pick up and transportation to Porsche for delivery.
Same transport fees, after you have had the benefit to enjoy your car there. So it isn't really more cost to you.
Prior to your euro-delivery, you will receive a nice package with your vouchers. In my case it included a special grille badge celebrating euro delivery that you can show with pride.
The delivery experience includes:
* Factory tour
* If Leipzig, track time with equivalent model 911 (base Carrera is what they had when I was there)
* Very nice lunch at delivery center (Michelin star restaurant I believe - it was good!)
* Porsche Museum (Stuttgart one is downright awesome)
* Porsche Store (good for some nice mementos, shirts, books, luggage, accessories, that are not always available locally)
* If something were to occur that caused damage, Porsche and the insurance will make it wonderful again (they say)
* Bucket list class experience in the whole process (IMO) - Not easy to put a price on.
* Flexible destination options for drop off (London, Munich, Stuttgart, Leipzig, Emden, etc, etc. most have fees, but some are quite cheap, and the factory locations are free drop off.

Europe benefits with your car: Up to you, but yeah, The Alps and the famous passes, Nurburgring, Monaco photo with your car as a subject, etc. etc. AUTOBAHN, you get the idea ;-)

Cons - Waiting for your car and missing it for 6-8 weeks while in transport, after you fall in love with it during your holiday there.
That's a good list, though another item for the "Cons" column is rock chips from all of that pre-PPF driving. Kudos to those who apply the temporary wrap or have PPF installed in Germany, but I think that is an extremely small percentage of people.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

I grew up in Germany and also was stationed there, so the allure of driving my new Porsche there straight from the factory isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice, but I think I'd be stressing out too much that something happens. Plus, I wouldn't really be able to go above 4,000 RPM, and I would want to. Maybe one day I'll rent one there, or do one of the Porsche road trips.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

I've been watching this guy's youtube channel for a while. Recently he started planning a tour around the world. The car he ended up deciding on was a T. If interested, you can go back in his channel to see when he picked it up and why he chose the car.

Anyway, I've been enjoying his videos for a while and thought I'd share. It'll be interesting to see if he runs into any issues with the car or how it fares overall.

This is the beginning of his tour in Australia:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

^^^ Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I may check out his earlier videos about the T!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
^^^ Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I may check out his earlier videos about the T!
They are definitely a bit better. Also, that T is GT Silver with a wrap.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Might as well post the two other vids that are about the T.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Awesome!!! His vids are great...

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club